Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Model S Charging Max

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yesterday I purchased a 2015 85s. When I test drove it, they had it charged to 255. However, I drove it home last night (it was a 3 hour drive), and charged it on my wall charger (I already have the Model 3 so I already have a wall charger).

This morning I noticed that on the app and in the car the charging MAX shows only 217 miles. Does this just need to re-calibrate or something? Why would the dealer be able to charge it to 255, and then I can only charge it to 217? (I have the charging limit set down lower of course, but I want to know that it can still go up to 255).

Any thoughts?

yesterday I purchased a 2015 85s. When I test drove it, they had it charged to 255. However, I drove it home last night (it was a 3 hour drive), and charged it on my wall charger (I already have the Model 3 so I already have a wall charger).

This morning I noticed that on the app and in the car the charging MAX shows only 217 miles. Does this just need to re-calibrate or something? Why would the dealer be able to charge it to 255, and then I can only charge it to 217? (I have the charging limit set down lower of course, but I want to know that it can still go up to 255).

Any thoughts?

I'm confused by your wording. If you have the charge limit set lower, how do you know what the max (100%) charge is? Did you try charging it to 100%?

Upvote 0
I'm confused by your wording. If you have the charge limit set lower, how do you know what the max (100%) charge is? Did you try charging it to 100%?
When I change the charge limit to max in the app, it shows the max mileage to be 217.

Screenshots:

1647530109944.png
1647530149254.png

Upvote 0
When I change the charge limit to max in the app, it shows the max mileage to be 217.

Screenshots:

View attachment 782104View attachment 782105

I wonder if that (255 vs 217) is the difference between "ideal" mileage and "rated" mileage? Wouldn't be the first time that's tripped somebody up.

Agreeing with @Big Earl, I think it'd probably worth trying to charge it all the way to 100% SOC to see exactly what the car thinks the range is, rather than relying on the estimate displayed in the app (which I'm not sure where it comes from).

Bruce.

Reactions: springdaisy82
Upvote 0
I think you're onto something, Bruce. The display might have been set to "ideal" range at the dealership, but now on the new owner's profile, it's set to display "rated" range, which is lower. If I remember correctly, this setting should be located in Car Menu > Display. Ideal is useless unless you drive 20 MPH under the speed limit.

Reactions: springdaisy82
Upvote 0
The range shown by the battery SOC indicator is notorious for being inaccurate and variable, so I would not leap to conclusions quite yet.
The OP does not show where he/she lives, but one other possible explanation is that the SOC could have dropped if you live where the weather is chilly at night. That is the only factor that the SOC indicator seems to respond to (in contrast to the Energy app, which considers your driving history).

Upvote 0
I understand the theory of ideal vs rated miles, but the ratio doesn't match. All the data I've pulled from mid-2016 AP1 MS90D has always shown the relationship between ideal and rated miles to be:

ideal miles = 1.25 * rated miles​
rated miles = 0.80 * ideal miles​

So depending on which way you do the math, ratio of 1:25 / 0.80. Values given by the OP of 255 / 217 = 1.175. So doesn't match up with my experience.
OP can easily check this theory. Just toggle the display units from rated to ideal and watch the change.

I also have seen the estimated full range number shown by the app to be a bit quirky, but never that large of a variance.

Depending upon how long the car has sat and how they have been managing charging it is possible the battery had developed some imbalance and the BMS has drifted. Letting the car sit at a variety of SOC values so the BMS can sample the open cell voltage over a range of SOC should help the BMS calibration, but that's not a guarantee you'd see the 255 number be recovered.

Upvote 0
So yes, you are right. They had it set on ideal mode. I knew that number was too good to be true! I wish Tesla didn't have "ideal mode" at all! I switched it between ideal and rated, and there is a big difference. There could be a calibration issue as well, I haven't double-checked the math.

Still, it has about the same range as my Model 3 Standard Range plus, which is what I originally expected. That number just got my hopes up!

Anyway, thank you for all the feedback!

Reactions: bmah
Upvote 0