Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 MS 70D Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a used MS in late 2019 and I’ve been trying to figure out how to get the most range for when traveling and I’ve noticed that my average Wh/mi since owning is 365. I’ve seen some on here with substantially lower and I’m wondering if it is options/cargo/climate/driving style that is the main factor here. Some of that I can control while some is just the way it is.

My car details:
2015 Model S 70D
Pano roof
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
19” Wheels
3rd Row Rear Facing Seats

I live in Eugene, OR so we do get some cold winters and hot summers, but last time we drove south to SF Bay we cut it real close getting from home to Grants Pass and I’d like to avoid that.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I bought a used MS in late 2019 and I’ve been trying to figure out how to get the most range for when traveling and I’ve noticed that my average Wh/mi since owning is 365. I’ve seen some on here with substantially lower and I’m wondering if it is options/cargo/climate/driving style that is the main factor here. Some of that I can control while some is just the way it is.

My car details:
2015 Model S 70D
Pano roof
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
19” Wheels
3rd Row Rear Facing Seats

I live in Eugene, OR so we do get some cold winters and hot summers, but last time we drove south to SF Bay we cut it real close getting from home to Grants Pass and I’d like to avoid that.

Many tips repeated all over TMC. Have you perused the Tesla Tap site?

Drive gently and slowly, less than 75.

Use range mode in cold or hot weather.

Charge before driving in cold weather.

My lifetime is 296. 276 YTD.

Take advantage of the topography...(took me 30 yrs to use this in a sentence) My avg used to be 400+...im driving slower for the most part but still going over 80 MPH...go faster when road sloping downward and feather your pedal so your energy meter goes a little green...you will slow down a little as the road changes...so dont do this in heavy traffic or youll annoy the living sht out of the guy in back of you trying to set his cruise control.

My avg is down to 250 lately and I can get it even lower.

One thing that helps keep the Wh lower is not letting your friends go for joy rides.

Hey bkane,
I also have a 2015 70D, purchased used in 2018, now with about 65K!
I Frequently drive down I-5, Seattle to LA, and making it between Superchargers is never an issue for me! I'm not a fast driver, going slow makes a big difference. Keep speed at 65-70 and you should have no problem!

Reactions: bkane