Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wh/km (or mi) / range grossly mis-advertised, if not fraudulent... srsly.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my point exactly, the problem is infrastructure (and mindset)
You’re not going to change the reality that more frequent stops add a real amount of time to travel regardless of how much you improve infrastructure.

Yes you can choose to just accept the behavior and put up with it. Which I do. But I’m still willing to call a spade a spade and say the experience ****ing sucks in that regard.

you know, to me it doesn't really add much time. I was already stopping every ~2h for someone in the car to pee, or because one of us was hungry etc. It might add a few minutes here or there especially when charging isn't optimal, but it's not a dramatic difference. You just stop where there's both what you need and charging. I also decide that my trip should be fun so I don't stress as much as before about minutes. That's the mindset part.

EDIT: oh, I'll add this: it "adds" time because you're comparing to the ICE era. What if I told you that I actually prefer to drive an EV for other reasons (instant torque, instant heat, no noise, no bad smell in my garage, less maintenance etc), not even for the environment (although it doesn't hurt) and those far outweigh the disadvantages. Obviously everyone has different weights on all those factors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Supcom and DuncanM
An ICE car you have to stop maybe 1/3 as often and the actual fillup is much quicker too.
And when driving an EV in town I never have to stop to fill up. Since most people do the vast majority of their driving in town the EV should win but the brain doesn’t think logically. Instead, we overemphasize negatives and use them to rationalize emotional decisions.

On the topic of this thread, here’s the usage data from my car - I charged last night, drove to an airport, then home, making a couple stops on the way. It was about 5º C outside when I left, probably 10-12º when I came home.

IMG_4128.jpeg

you know, to me it doesn't really add much time. I was already stopping every ~2h for someone in the car to pee, or because one of us was hungry etc. It might add a few minutes here or there especially when charging isn't optimal, but it's not a dramatic difference. You just stop where there's both what you need and charging. I also decide that my trip should be fun so I don't stress as much as before about minutes. That's the mindset part.

EDIT: oh, I'll add this: it "adds" time because you're comparing to the ICE era. What if I told you that I actually prefer to drive an EV for other reasons (instant torque, instant heat, no noise, no bad smell in my garage, less maintenance etc), not even for the environment (although it doesn't hurt) and those far outweigh the disadvantages. Obviously everyone has different weights on all those factors.
The only time I need my car to travel 5 hours without charging is when they get FSD up to L4 so I don't have to wake up every couple hours to plug in the car.

Maybe Tesla will have Optimus deployed at SCs to do that for us by then.

• Funny
Reactions: sleepydoc
You’re not going to change the reality that more frequent stops add a real amount of time to travel regardless of how much you improve infrastructure.

Yes you can choose to just accept the behavior and put up with it. Which I do. But I’m still willing to call a spade a spade and say the experience ****ing sucks in that regard.
I've driven to and from SE Arizona (1900miles/~3000km) from SW BC numerous times (~20). When I do the drive direct to our home in SE AZ it's a 3 day drive (I5->Mt Shasta CA->Lancaster CA->I10-> Portal AZ and that hasn't changed at all with a Pontiac Pursuit, Pontiac G6, Prius Prime or my M3. My daily drive is about 1000km/daily so I arrive in the afternoon of the 3rd day, and again no change in arrival time. Since driving the M3, I ensure that all my restroom and meal stops coincide with a charging stop and on the 3rd day we do a grocery stop and charge at an EA station at the same time = no lost time. I simply can't safely drive more than a 1000km daily and I can do it in my M3 in about 10-11 hours (~10hrs with no traffic delays, which is just about the same time it took in all my ICE vehicles, including the Prius Prime which had nearly a 1000km range on a single fill.

Typical daily drive:
leave with a full charge ->300-350 km/brunch+charge (35min)->300km/rest-stop+charge (10-12min)->200km->rest-stop+charge(10-12min)->200km->check in to hotel then dinner+ charge( if no L2/DCFC charger at hotel) = full charge next morning.

I've driven to and from SE Arizona (1900miles/~3000km) from SW BC numerous times (~20). When I do the drive direct to our home in SE AZ it's a 3 day drive (I5->Mt Shasta CA->Lancaster CA->I10-> Portal AZ and that hasn't changed at all with a Pontiac Pursuit, Pontiac G6, Prius Prime or my M3. My daily drive is about 1000km/daily so I arrive in the afternoon of the 3rd day, and again no change in arrival time. Since driving the M3, I ensure that all my restroom and meal stops coincide with a charging stop and on the 3rd day we do a grocery stop and charge at an EA station at the same time = no lost time. I simply can't safely drive more than a 1000km daily and I can do it in my M3 in about 10-11 hours (~10hrs with no traffic delays, which is just about the same time it took in all my ICE vehicles, including the Prius Prime which had nearly a 1000km range on a single fill.

Typical daily drive:
leave with a full charge ->300-350 km/brunch+charge (35min)->300km/rest-stop+charge (10-12min)->200km->rest-stop+charge(10-12min)->200km->check in to hotel then dinner+ charge( if no L2/DCFC charger at hotel) = full charge next morning.
That is a brutal regime…I have to psych myself up to do 1000 km…wouldn’t like to do it daily

Reactions: DuncanM
That is a brutal regime…I have to psych myself up to do 1000 km…wouldn’t like to do it daily
we plan carefully and that helps. As I get older the charging stops are a pleasant relief!

I've driven in the EU on two vacations and I was just checking how many kms I drove and it averaged about 5000km (3000 miles) per trip!-On two separate trips to the UK and Ireland (via car ferries) I drove over 3000km on each trip!. Europe seems small until you get there and they hand you the keys to your rental car!

Reactions: primedive and Bouba
And when driving an EV in town I never have to stop to fill up. Since most people do the vast majority of their driving in town the EV should win but the brain doesn’t think logically. Instead, we overemphasize negatives and use them to rationalize emotional decisions.

On the topic of this thread, here’s the usage data from my car - I charged last night, drove to an airport, then home, making a couple stops on the way. It was about 5º C outside when I left, probably 10-12º when I came home.

View attachment 1027593
Sure. Like I said, there are reasons I drive an EV. But I don’t pretend the experience is universally better. For long trips it’s a much crappier experience. At least if your bladder is large enough and prostate small enough to tolerate 4-5 hours between stops.

Also notable that if you don’t have home or work charging, it’s an overall worse experience.

Here you go, usage as shown by trip computer. MAKES no sense. Where the hell is the extra 100 wh/km wasted at if my cabin heat and everything else seems completely insignificant! BTW. Not shown here buy my driving usage, despite very dynamic driving was shown at exactly 200 wh/km (as in the OP), so not far off the posted numbers (150 wh/km or so). But the car consumes 300 wh/km for some unexplained reason. WHY???

View attachment 897403

What does the Park tab on the energy screen show?

Reactions: primedive
Sure. Like I said, there are reasons I drive an EV. But I don’t pretend the experience is universally better. For long trips it’s a much crappier experience. At least if your bladder is large enough and prostate small enough to tolerate 4-5 hours between stops.

Also notable that if you don’t have home or work charging, it’s an overall worse experience.
Yes. My sister likes to drive 6+ hours at a stretch. I can’t do that and I’m more than happy to stop every 3-4 hours to stretch my legs and use the restroom. I also agree that not being able to charge at home changes the equation dramatically.

Reactions: DuncanM
Here’s the final shot before I charged. This was multiple drives by 2 different people. The car is also in chill mode. It’s possible to get the advertised range if you drive conservatively in good conditions, just like every other car I’ve owned.
IMG_4141.jpeg

For me, and the way I drive, the EV is universally better.
My road trips have been more relaxing, pleasant and no more time consuming.
At home I have a full ‘tank’ every morning.

I understand this isn’t the case for you. But please don’t tell others it isn’t the case for them.

For me, and the way I drive, the EV is universally better.
My road trips have been more relaxing, pleasant and no more time consuming.
At home I have a full ‘tank’ every morning.

I understand this isn’t the case for you. But please don’t tell others it isn’t the case for them.
I couldn’t agree more.....electric cars are just so much nicer to live with....we no longer have the tyranny of the boiling car in summer....it’s now a welcome refuge from the heat after a dog walk ....and after three years my long term average is exactly EPA

Reactions: Zythryn and DuncanM

As I've said before, if you can charge at home than chances are you spend LESS total time charging than filling an ICE car with gas.

Assume you fill the tank once a week, and it takes 5 mins (which is fast) .. that means approx 250 minutes, or FOUR HOURS each year filling that gas tank. With an EV charging at home you have ZERO time charging except long distance trips. And guess what? Every couple of hours when *I* drive long distance I need that 20-25 minute break anyway.

Here’s the final shot before I charged. This was multiple drives by 2 different people. The car is also in chill mode. It’s possible to get the advertised range if you drive conservatively in good conditions, just like every other car I’ve owned.
View attachment 1028713
Just a public reminder that these stats don’t include time spent in park or drain while the car is parked (can be significant depending on how much battery heating is required), nor do they include charging losses. In my experience this is minimum 30% to much more than this in winter, but I do enjoy that pre-heating. 😁

Reactions: chdlmc