Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Texas Legislative Session Discussion Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When will be decided if Tesla Motors will be allowed to sell their cars directly or not? In which month can we expect to hear such a decision?

Legislation would have to be introduced and passed first and legislation hasn't been introduced yet.

Bills must be introduced by March 13 and June 1 is the last day of the session. If it passes, the Governor then has until June 22 to sign or veto. If he signs, the bill would become law on August 31, unless another date is specified in the law.

Legislation would have to be introduced and passed first and legislation hasn't been introduced yet.

Bills must be introduced by March 13 and June 1 is the last day of the session. If it passes, the Governor then has until June 22 to sign or veto. If he signs, the bill would become law on August 31, unless another date is specified in the law.

OK

Thanks

Still enough time to introduce the Bill.

Tesla Motors is better prepared than they were the last time.

OK

Thanks

Still enough time to introduce the Bill.

Tesla Motors is better prepared than they were the last time.

Yes. In 2013, the House Business & Industry Committee reviewed HB 3351 favorably by a 4/1/0/2 margin (yes/no/present/absent) and it was sent to he put on the legislative calendar on 5/1/13. I expect we will receive similar good results this time.

In the Senate, though, the Transportation Committee left it (SB 1659) as a pending item (they didn't consider it), so this is a major "do better" for us as constituents this year.

My Senator was on the Transportation Committee last session, so I hope I can enlist his support this session.

Yes. In 2013, the House Business & Industry Committee reviewed HB 3351 favorably by a 4/1/0/2 margin (yes/no/present/absent) and it was sent to he put on the legislative calendar on 5/1/13. I expect we will receive similar good results this time.

In the Senate, though, the Transportation Committee left it (SB 1659) as a pending item (they didn't consider it), so this is a major "do better" for us as constituents this year.

My Senator was on the Transportation Committee last session, so I hope I can enlist his support this session.

Keep us updated when you get more info.

Thanks

Doing my part:

Capriglione: PO Box 770, Keller, Texas 76244
Hancock: 9121 Belshire Drive, Suite 200, North Richland Hills, Texas 76182

Please Support Legislation to Allow US-Owned EV Manufactures to Sell Directly to Texas Consumers

Dear Representative Capriglione,
Dear Senator Hancock,

I’m writing to ask you to support legislation that would allow U.S.-based manufactures of all-electric or all-battery powered vehicles to sell and service directly to Texas consumers. I’m sure you have seen the rapidly rising number of Teslas and Leafs around Southlake — in fact, Southlake has one of the highest electric vehicle densities in North Texas.

But what you may not know is how difficult it is to actually buy an electric car in Texas. From experience, I can tell you that selling an electric car is more difficult than selling a regular car — most normal consumers have numerous questions that need to be answered before they’re willing to make a purchase — and traditional car dealers have demonstrated that they are not willing / able to make that investment. In my case, I went to the two nearest Nissan dealers to Southlake in an attempt to buy a Leaf. In both cases, the salesperson attempted to switch me away from the Leaf, and in the most egregious situation, the salesperson attempted a “bait and switch” — sadly, what most of us stereotypically expect from a car dealer.

Tesla has made a large investment in fixing the education problem. Perhaps you’ve been to the Tesla Gallery at North Park, or participated in one of their regular “Drive Events” at the Southlake Hilton. Tesla’s representatives are extremely helpful in answering all of the questions and are performing the education function that most dealers have demonstrated they are unwilling to do. But they’re in the ludicrous position of being able to tell you anything you want to know about the car, except for what it costs, or where to buy it.

The legacy Dealer Franchise laws prevent them from sharing this information. In addition, Tesla owners are further punished by these laws:

- They are not eligible for the $2500 Texas state incentive for purchasing an electric vehicle
- The sales & use tax can’t be included in a vehicle loan
- The owner must get the car inspected himself, and loses the ability to have a two year initial vehicle inspection.

But why should we care?

In short, electric vehicles are part of the solution to this State’s energy diversity and environmental objectives.

- Electric cars are powered by 100% Texas-sourced energy, via their utility. The typical energy mix for a North Texas resident, according to ERCOT is 56% natural gas, 23% coal, 13% wind and 6% nuclear — all of which comes from Texas.
- Electric cars move their emissions from the tailpipe to generating facilities that are much easier to keep clean — and are typically well outside of ozone non attainment areas.

On Thursday, there will be a meeting of Tesla owners at the Capitol on Colorado street between 11:30 and 2:30. I urge you to go visit them and hear their stories. I would also be pleased to meet with you when you’re back in North Texas and share how I think that allowing direct electric vehicle sales in Texas is good for the state. It unfortunately will not happen without exemption from the Dealer Franchise laws.

Best regards,

EV Capriglione.jpg

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/02/18/dealers-tesla-give-us-shot/

Dealers Reach Out, but Tesla Slams the Door

Would Tesla Motors stumble if it sold its high-end electric cars through franchised dealerships like every other car manufacturer must in Texas? Elon Musk, the company’s CEO and a champion of disruptive technologies, seems to think so.
“If we were to go through them, we would fail,” he told Texas Tribune CEO and Editor-in-Chief Evan Smith last month during an interview at the Texas Transportation Forum.

The article also had some data on registrations I thought folks might find interesting...

How many Teslas are in Texas?

Tesla’s footprint is still relatively small in Texas, but it’s growing. Here is a look at the state’s top 10 counties for Tesla registrations as of Jan. 30.

Harris 428
Travis 345
Dallas 313
Collin 123
Tarrant 111
Bexar 86
Denton 75
Fort Bend 67
Williamson 41
Montgomery 34

Total registered statewide: 1,800

Would Tesla Motors stumble if it sold its high-end electric cars through franchised dealerships like every other car manufacturer must in Texas? Elon Musk, the company’s CEO and a champion of disruptive technologies, seems to think so.
“If we were to go through them, we would fail,” he told Texas Tribune CEO and Editor-in-Chief Evan Smith last month during an interview at the Texas Transportation Forum.
I think those of you in Dallas County would want to let Representative Jason Villalba know how you feel. His district has the highest concentration of Models S in the State, but he won't support legislation that doesn't have Tesla give concessions to dealers.

The article also had some data on registrations I thought folks might find interesting...

How many Teslas are in Texas?

Tesla’s footprint is still relatively small in Texas, but it’s growing. Here is a look at the state’s top 10 counties for Tesla registrations as of Jan. 30.

Harris 428
Travis 345
Dallas 313
Collin 123
Tarrant 111
Bexar 86
Denton 75
Fort Bend 67
Williamson 41
Montgomery 34

Total registered statewide: 1,800
I laughed out loud when i read this part:

“This is such a unique situation in which Elon Musk doesn’t want to have competition from other makes,” he said.

When we were in Austin last month with Elon, there was a guy going around signing people up to be contacted for lobbying efforts. He said there was going to be a website that had information for us, but we haven't heard anything from it, yet. Is anyone else in the know?

I think those of you in Dallas County would want to let Representative Jason Villalba know how you feel. His district has the highest concentration of Models S in the State, but he won't support legislation that doesn't have Tesla give concessions to dealers.

Even more surprising as he was one of the cosponsors of Tesla's bill in 2013. The dealer lobby must have really gotten to him.

This article is disturbing as it is written from the perspective that dealers have a proprietary interest in how new car companies do business. If this article was written about any other industry besides the auto industry, it would be obvious how absurd the dealers' position is. Company A makes a new product. Company A wants to sell it without using the distribution channels and methods that its competitors use. Either Company A's strategy is successful or it is not. The market will decide. The existing distribution channel has no say in the matter, and neither should the state.

Dealers are already cranking up their social media campaign against the bill:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/txautodealers/posts/339804809557614

Twitter: https://twitter.com/autodealerstx/status/568785198340419584

Please respond if you have a chance. If you want some example tweets, here are some I sent to the bill sponsors:

@EddieforTexas Thanks for submitting #HB1653 and for advocating that @TeslaMotors be able to sell an American product directly to Texans!

@LaubenbergTX Thanks for joint authoring #HB1653 and for advocating that @TeslaMotors be able to sell an American car directly to Texans!

@DocAnderson4TX Thanks for joint authoring #HB1653 and for advocating that @TeslaMotors be able to sell an American car directly to Texans!

@RonSimmonsTexas Thanks for joint authoring #HB1653 and for advocating that Tesla be able to sell an American product directly to Texans!

@KHancock4TX Thanks for submitting #SB639 and for advocating that @TeslaMotors be able to sell an American car directly to Texans!

Perhaps more important is looking up your local representatives and ask them to support these specific bills:

Who Represents Me in Texas - http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/Home.aspx

Last edited:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/autodealerstx/status/568785198340419584

Please respond if you have a chance. If you want some example tweets, here are some I sent to the bill sponsors:
@EddieforTexas Thanks for submitting #HB1653 and for advocating that @TeslaMotors be able to sell an American product directly to Texans!
@LaubenbergTX Thanks for joint authoring #HB1653 and for advocating that @TeslaMotors be able to sell an American car directly to Texans!
@DocAnderson4TX Thanks for joint authoring #HB1653 and for advocating that @TeslaMotors be able to sell an American car directly to Texans!
@RonSimmonsTexas Thanks for joint authoring #HB1653 and for advocating that Tesla be able to sell an American product directly to Texans!
@KHancock4TX Thanks for submitting #SB639 and for advocating that @TeslaMotors be able to sell an American car directly to Texans!
Perhaps more important is looking up your local representatives and ask them to support these specific bills:
Who Represents Me in Texas - http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/Home.aspx

It's time to poke the badger. This is the year!

So sad they decided to lead with government handouts. My abbreviated comment on FB:
Handouts? Tesla Motors paid back their government loans ($0.5 billion), unlike General Motors ($3.4 billion), Ford ($2.5 billion), Fiat ($2.1 billion) and Nissan ($1.8 billion).

It's unfortunate that Texas Franchised Dealers have had poor success e
ducating consumers as to the energy security, economic and environmental advantages of alternative fuel vehicles, but sadly, that's where we are today. I've tried to buy a Leaf from my local Nissan Franchised Dealers as well as a Volt from my local Chevrolet Franchised Dealer and all tried to talk me into a different car. It's clear that Texas Franchised Dealers are not going to adapt to be successful selling alternative fuel vehicles, and that's why #HB1653 / #SB639 are so important.

Unfortunately, the legislation doesn't go far enough. It should allow a carve out for existing manufacturers to sell their alternative fuel vehicles directly to consumers if they choose to do so. It appears that is what will be required to speed alternative fuel vehicle adoption in this state.