Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Texas Legislative Session Discussion Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just used the Take Action page to send a message of support to my representatives. It does bother me, a little, that it isn't showing me the actual content of the message that I'm sending.

My Rep is actually Speaker Straus. When I e-mailed him in 2013 his response was that as speaker he doesn't generally take a position on specific bills; his job is just to keep the House's business rolling along smoothly. Or words to that effect.

My Senator is Donna Campbell, who promotes herself as a far right Tea Party type. I don't remember what her response was last time.

It does show the letter, you just need to scroll down on the page below where you enter your address.
Ah. I'm 80% certain that wasn't there on Monday, but it's definitely there now.

I agree completely with the content of the letter, but it seems like the letter is overselling the bills a bit. The letter just talks about allowing direct sales, but the bills still have limitations - only manufacturers that don't already have franchised dealers, only 12 company-owned stores. I'm sure I'm just being too picky though. There seems to not be much room for nuance in retail politics these days.

Ah. I'm 80% certain that wasn't there on Monday, but it's definitely there now.

I agree completely with the content of the letter, but it seems like the letter is overselling the bills a bit. The letter just talks about allowing direct sales, but the bills still have limitations - only manufacturers that don't already have franchised dealers, only 12 company-owned stores. I'm sure I'm just being too picky though. There seems to not be much room for nuance in retail politics these days.
The recipients of the letters know exactly what the bills allow. And if the bills applied to legacy manufacturers they would be laughed out of the legislature. Tesla wants to sell cars, not tilt at windmills. Anyway the point of this exercise is not to explain the details but rather to generate a large number of emails, so the representatives and state senators see there are voters in their district who care about this issue. So please send the link to all your friends.

Great article in Jalopnik today about the TADA's anti-Tesla campaign:
The Texas Automobile Dealers Association Thinks Youre A Stupid Idiot

We should start referring to TADA as the car seller's union from now on. We all know they're not a union and even if they were there's nothing wrong with it but if the other side is going to outright lie then we should too. The very word "union" is poison in Texas and will at least make people think a little about what TADA actually is.

We should start referring to TADA as the car seller's union from now on. We all know they're not a union and even if they were there's nothing wrong with it but if the other side is going to outright lie then we should too. The very word "union" is poison in Texas and will at least make people think a little about what TADA actually is.
The word "cartel," which many of us have used to describe the TADA in the past, is more technically accurate and IMO has even more of a negative connotation.

Interesting tweet from a Rep. Jason Villalba , of Dallas
"Texan. Husband. Papa. Republican. Representative for Texas House District 114."

Jason Villalba on Twitter:

e631d210d64471b994cb0fba403d2414_normal.jpe
Jason Villalba (@JasonVillalba)
3/15/15, 8:33 PM
One of the most interesting visits I have ever made. @elonmusk is changing the world for the better. @TeslaMotors pic.twitter.com/4B0PXyuavt

And also

@JasonVillalba: Was at Tesla Factory this weekend in Freemont, CA. New Tesla battery could take your home off the grid. New Tesla battery could take your home off the grid | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building #TxLege

Comments on his tweets reflected the fact that Rep Villalba introduced a bill that would prohibit taking any photography of a policeman if you are within 26 feet. Or 100 feet if carrying a gun.

I kid you not.

Sent from my iPad

Interesting tweet from a Rep. Jason Villalba , of Dallas
"Texan. Husband. Papa. Republican. Representative for Texas House District 114."

Jason Villalba on Twitter:

e631d210d64471b994cb0fba403d2414_normal.jpe
Jason Villalba (@JasonVillalba)
3/15/15, 8:33 PM
One of the most interesting visits I have ever made. @elonmusk is changing the world for the better. @TeslaMotors pic.twitter.com/4B0PXyuavt

And also

@JasonVillalba: Was at Tesla Factory this weekend in Freemont, CA. New Tesla battery could take your home off the grid. New Tesla battery could take your home off the grid | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building #TxLege

Comments on his tweets reflected the fact that Rep Villalba introduced a bill that would prohibit taking any photography of a policeman if you are within 26 feet. Or 100 feet if carrying a gun.

I kid you not.

Sent from my iPad
Rep. Villalba was a cosponsor of Tesla's bill in 2013 but not this year. Apparently the dealers got to him as he said something recently about how they have to be "protected". Last week he introduced HB3828 which is similar to the 2013 attempt-- it only applies to manufacturers of EVs that don't have franchised dealers and limits direct sales in the state to 5,000 cars per fiscal year. So basically it would penalize success. Sell too many cars when Model 3 comes out and Tesla would have to stop selling them or start using franchised dealers.

The new offensive and positive vibe is great news. But it completely seems to be geared to Tesla new car sales in Texas.

Is there some other rationale that can be added to this that would make this effort even more compelling to the community of folks (us) that already own a Tesla in Texas? Wondering if we are something in the push beyond new car sales.

Texas is a Right to Work state. Maybe we should be a Right to Purchase state, too!

- - - Updated - - -

The new offensive and positive vibe is great news. But it completely seems to be geared to Tesla new car sales in Texas.

Is there some other rationale that can be added to this that would make this effort even more compelling to the community of folks (us) that already own a Tesla in Texas? Wondering if we are something in the push beyond new car sales.

That wording is aimed to protect existing franchised dealers. There is also a bill (or two) that gets rid of the remaining blue laws in Texas. TABC already has laws to enforce that are deeply rooted in religious taboo. Doing away with those laws frees up their limited resources for real problems like underage drinking, etc.

Since Sen. Ted Cruz announced his candidacy for president today and because he supports the free market, I wonder if we could somehow take advantage of that and get him to help make a push in Texas to help Tesla promote the free markets and unban Tesla.

In case any Texas owner didn't receive the email from Tesla this morning, I am posting it here:

Dear Tesla Owners and Supporters,

As you likely know, Tesla continues to invest in the legislative process in Texas - specifically with HB 1653 and SB 639. We are eager to have our bills that will allow Tesla to sell direct heard and voted on in their respective committees. This will ensure the Legislature can consider if Tesla is good for Texan consumers, which we believe it is!

We are committed to serving Texas, and we will need your help. Our most pressing objective at this point is to reach out to legislators responsible for voting on our bills. You can do so easily by filling out this form or finding your local legislator here and calling or sending them a personal email. (If you need help with a draft or talking points, they are included below.)

In particular, outreach to Representative Wayne Smith and Senator Troy Fraser are most critical - please feel free to call them if you live within or outside their district to encourage a hearing on the bill. Their numbers are below:

Senator Troy Fraser – Chairman of Natural Resources and Community Development – (512) 463-0124
Representative Wayne Smith – Chairman of Licensing and Administrative Procedure – (512)463-0733

We will keep you updated with news and progress, and we invite you to bookmark TeslaInTexas.org for late-breaking articles and editorials. Lastly and if you haven't already, please read Dan Neil's follow-up review on Model S P85D in the Wall Street Journal.

If you have any questions, request, or formidable ideas, please reach me directly. Thanks, as always, for your support - it is very much appreciated!

Speak soon and be well,

Will

--

I am writing today in support of HB 1653/SB 639, the legislation that will modernize how consumers buy new cars in Texas.
It is not the role of government to tell me that in order to purchase a new vehicle in Texas I am required to purchase that vehicle from a franchised car dealer.
For everything from food to clothing and electronics, today’s consumers have so many choices when it comes to what we buy, where we buy it and from whom we buy it. It should be no different for new cars.
The benefits of this legislation are clear:
· It will enhance the free market and bolster economic freedom.
· It will empower consumers and give them more choices.
· It will save consumers money on one of their biggest purchases.
Texas consumers are overwhelming supportive of this. A recent poll showed that 84% of Texans agree that they should be able to buy a new car direct from the manufacturer.
By voting for SB 639/HB 1653, you will be sending a loud message that you support eliminating protectionist regulations and agree that consumers, not the government, should decide how Texans buy new vehicles.

--

It's apparent from this email that Sen. Fraser and Rep. Smith are blocking the bills by not scheduling a committee hearing. Sen. Fraser's district is mostly Hill Country but it does stretch into western Travis County such as Lakeway and Bee Cave. Rep Smith's district is eastern Harris County, such as Baytown, La Porte, Deer Park, and Pasadena. With the exception of that small section of western Travis County, neither district would have many Tesla owners. If any TMC member lives in either district, it's especially important that you call. Even if you don't live in their districts, let's light up their switchboards! (or whatever the digital equivalent is now).

The hearing for HB 1653 has been scheduled! The notice from Tesla:

• Come and bring your Model S
o We have reserved many parking spots on the west side of the Capitol for your Model S vehicles (on Colorado between 11th and 12th)
• Schedule an in-person meeting with your legislator
o They may defer you to their staff, and that is also helpful. Take the time find your legislator.
o Tesla staff will be on-site to provide documents you can present and leave behind.
• Register your support of HB 1653
o It is extremely important that everyone in the Capitol on Monday register in support of the bill at one of the electronic kiosks found throughout the building.
o You do not have to attend the hearing to do so, but must register on-site. To save time, create your profile in advance.
• Attend the hearing
o We encourage as many advocates as possible to attend and watch the proceedings in the afternoon. It's important to demonstrate we have a large body of support!
o Additionally, we will have the opportunity to present one (or hopefully a few) owners to articulate their thoughts on the matter. If you are interested, please let me know - our team will prepare you with talking points and organize your testimony.

And once you arrive, please reach me directly via my email or mobile (610.597.4587).

For those who cannot attend in person - calls and emails to Senate and House Committee Chairs and members in support of the bills continue to be extremely helpful.

We're making headway in Texas and at large - check out Model S 70D. Thanks for your help, and we look forward to seeing you Monday!

Be well,

--

Will Nicholas
Communications Manager
m 610.597.4587
e [email protected]

If anyone coming to Austin for the hearing needs to plug in before heading back home, there is a new option for >30A charging other than the Domain. A local Tesla owner recently purchased Walker Tire 6208 N. Lamar and installed a 40A HPWC there for free 24/7 use by the public.