Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 85D Supercharging Confusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello

I recently just bought my first Tesla today a secondhand 2016 85D (UK). On my way home i conducted my first charge at a super charging station and it was slow (30KW)

The information i saw whilst charging was as follows:
Charging Current: Appeared Maxed 16A i could not put it higher
Max Charging Speed: 30KW Over the course of a 30 minute charge
Charging % Prior to charging: 60% (range 160)
Charging % Post charge: 75%ish (range 200)

Environment Info:
Temp was about 1C
Car had been drive for 35 mins prior at motorway speed
Only person at the pair of chargers (a/b) i was at (fleet services)

Also confusingly checking after super charging the car says no prior super charging on the dash.

Is this standard or expected given he above info? It all feels a bit odd given the expectation of faster charging.

Thanks

The 16a charging current is for AC only. 35 mins is not that long a time on the motorway as you're usually at a steady speed, to warm the battery quicker you need lots of hard acceleration. Charging from 60% on a cold ish battery would likely give the result you saw.

If it says no prior supercharging then it could be the car has free supercharging for life.

Also, cars with unlimited free for life supercharging don’t seem to remember previous supercharging stops.

I have a 2016 75 and it’s never remembered anything...

And with a cold battery at relatively high state of charge, 30kW max charging is about what your going to get I’m afraid.

It’ll get better once you have a warm day, warm battery and lower state of charge.

The 16a charging current is for AC only. 35 mins is not that long a time on the motorway as you're usually at a steady speed, to warm the battery quicker you need lots of hard acceleration. Charging from 60% on a cold ish battery would likely give the result you saw.

If it says no prior supercharging then it could be the car has free supercharging for life.
So went to try again with 30 mins of pre condition on way to station now in 5c temp from 35% and still only getting 34kw. I was sharing a station but even after they left it was still only 34kw :(

I wonder if the pack has been restricted by Tesla due to excessive DC charging, maybe a call to them would clarify
Thanks I’ll give them a call. The chap I bought the car from pretty much only charged at home from a. Commando plug socket in his garage he had little use for a super charger. But will enquire!

Does anyone know what a 2016 S 85D is likely to charge to at maximum?
I've recently acquired mine and best Ive seen is 226 miles .... which on a run of c170 miles left me with about 30 miles showing.
I appreciate that mileage shown will be dependent upon driving style/speed/temperature/road gradients etc ... but having mad this same run twice now at differing speeds, the results have been remarkably similar
I was under the impression that a new S 85D would charge to about 270 miles showing..and was also under the impression that Tesla batteries degrade very slowly ..(hence the warranty!) ...but 20% degradation seems quite high ... or is this dues to software upgrades as well?
All thoughts welcome

Does anyone know what a 2016 S 85D is likely to charge to at maximum?
I've recently acquired mine and best Ive seen is 226 miles .... which on a run of c170 miles left me with about 30 miles showing.
I appreciate that mileage shown will be dependent upon driving style/speed/temperature/road gradients etc ... but having mad this same run twice now at differing speeds, the results have been remarkably similar
I was under the impression that a new S 85D would charge to about 270 miles showing..and was also under the impression that Tesla batteries degrade very slowly ..(hence the warranty!) ...but 20% degradation seems quite high ... or is this dues to software upgrades as well?
All thoughts welcome
From my experience, my previous EV, my PHEV and my current Model 3 all suffer low range at this time of year. I would say it’s normal. Once we get to May you should start seeing an improvement. At 90% I get about 280miles out of an optimistic 100% of 350 miles

From my experience, my previous EV, my PHEV and my current Model 3 all suffer low range at this time of year. I would say it’s normal. Once we get to May you should start seeing an improvement. At 90% I get about 280miles out of an optimistic 100% of 350 miles
Thanks - agree that weather temp has a lot to affect range
What I am concerned about is the display mileage at 100% charge (at least I assume 100%, can’t see this, i just slide the trip thing over right to the end for max charge) - 226 is best I’m showing. Would this rise when the weather gets warmer? I thought that the mileage shown was just based on some kind of standard that averaged out temperature, speed, gradients, load carried etc for everyone....and whilst I would expect a slight improvement in actual real world driving range, my displayed mileage would not change. Was that incorrect assumption on my part?

Thanks - agree that weather temp has a lot to affect range
What I am concerned about is the display mileage at 100% charge (at least I assume 100%, can’t see this, i just slide the trip thing over right to the end for max charge) - 226 is best I’m showing. Would this rise when the weather gets warmer? I thought that the mileage shown was just based on some kind of standard that averaged out temperature, speed, gradients, load carried etc for everyone....and whilst I would expect a slight improvement in actual real world driving range, my displayed mileage would not change. Was that incorrect assumption on my part?
I haven’t done any ‘real world‘ driving in the last year for obvious reasons and my M3 is one year old this week.
i had an Ioniq Electric previously. In summer it displayed 139 mile range, but in winter this reduced to 121 miles. Both for 100% charge.
i would suppose that the Tesla will display similar changes.
As you suggest, type of journey, speed and driving style all play a part.
In reality, it’s no different to an ICE. In summer, mpg increases and in winter it reduces. We just fill up and don’t think about it.
I always reckoned my Subaru Outback did 35mph. I checked in winter and it was actually 20mpg!
Rule of thumb. If you drive carefully you’ll get more range. If you just enjoy the car, you won’t. 😉

There is a thing called batterygate and chargegate where older cars got knobbled by Tesla to preserve the battery. The latest software has started to reverse some of the restrictions they placed on the battery. I'd get the car connected to your home wifi and hope it updates fairly quickly to the latest software if its an older version.

An 85D in its day would have pulled over 100kw, whether you'd still get that is anybody's guess but you should still get 90kw.

The displayed miles sounds about right, maybe a bit low but not exceptional for a car of that age. Its a fixed rate of consumption and using the "typical" measure. If its using the "rated" measure you have real problems as you would expect that to be about 270+ I'd take a read here to know more about that and the site is my go to resource for information

DrJF
i have Tesla home wall unit and also home wifi so always update as and when prompted
version showing at moment is 2020.48.371
what do you mean about “rated” measure? I’m just relaying the mileage my fully charged display shows before I drive anywhere - and yes, I was expecting this to be c260 miles