Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 90d vs 2017 75d/100d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aside from range/acceleration/battery pack issues - and leather vs synthetic seats -- what will be the differences between a loaded 2016 90 (build between april and June) and a new 100d/75d. I'm really looking for input on the little things that aren't readily apparent from looking at the spec sheets - for example, I think the headrests adjust on the 75/100 and not on the 90.

I'd really like to save a few bucks and buy used but I can't really pin down what I'll be missing.

Thanks

Thanks. That is an obvious one that I missed. Other than the actual AP stuff (cruise, lane change) do you lose anything else with only AP1 sensors. For example, are the parking sensors the same - do they tell you how many inches to impact? Is there any form of blind spot monitoring?

The 90D will have to be priced in the low 70s at most to make sense buying (after tax credit). You can get a really good deal on a new inventory 75D for the same price or less that I’ve seen 90Ds are asked for. Add a couple more grand and you are in the 100D category

That is earlier than my loaded 90D so will have perforated seats with seat venting and possibly active spoiler which they included even on some of the non performance early models. I believe the newer models also come with less if any alcantara headliner.

April to June last year still had a lot of fit and finish issues like body panel gaps and misalignments as well as air sealing issues. I would check for those two issues in particular on an older 90D as well as for ghosting (double vision at night through windshield curve). Lastly, I consider the falcon doors a long term maintenance liability. I would make sure any used Model X I got still had plenty of warranty or at least would qualify for the extended warranty.

lol my bad for assuming. The only item I listed that might effect a Model S is the alcantara, but I am not sure. Other smaller stuff is they started packaging the options much more so an older Teslas might have some unique interior combos. And the better audio is in all loaded Teslas today, but might be missing in an older "loaded" Tesla.

Thanks Mike - but totally my bad for not specifying - and for some reason I can't edit original post to clarify. In any event, I have a build sheet that looks like it has "everything" except air suspension, 21" wheel, third seats, and carbon spoiler.

Description Total in USD
Model S 90D $89,500.00
Dual Motor All Wheel Drive -
Obsidian Black Metallic Paint $1,000.00
All Glass Panoramic Roof $1,500.00
19" Slipstream Wheels -
Tan Next Generation Seats $2,500.00
Figured Ash Wood décor $750.00
Light Headliner -
Supercharger Enabled -
Autopilot $2,500.00
72 amp Charger Upgrade $1,500.00
Premium Interior Package $3,000.00
Ultra High Fidelity Sound $2,500.00
Subzero Weather Package $1,000.00
Subtotal $105,750.00
Destination and Doc Fee $1,200.00
Order Modification Fee 0.00
Total $106,950.00

If you can spend 90k, you can get a really nicely speced new MS75D with leather, the premium package, paint of your choice, and new full warranty. I also forgot to mention after tax incentives that new MS75D would actually cost close to 81k. If you can't take advantage of the tax credit, then I would say the above config Model S90D might be worth 80k with low miles or good warranty if buying from Tesla.

I wouldn't pay $90 for that car. I think it goes for $70, at best.

And it wasn't me that said he had ordered a 75S. We did chat about your car but I wanted subzero.

So, I'm still in the hunt.

Ah yes, I remember now. BTW, even in Chicago winters I found subzero was never a must have feature, but that's of course very personal.

Regarding which of the three options: I would rather spend that amount on a new Tesla, vs a used 90 with slightly more features.
So to share my opinion -since you asked for opinions ;) I would actually do a S100D in standard black (visually its a minor difference between the $1k Obsidian Black Metallic) with premium seats to keep its value. I wouldn't bother with the PUP (the standard audio is already amazing as is, subzero is overrated -unless you have frequent back passengers in the winter-, and hepa filter feature can simply be applied by yourself -see other thread about this)
And finally, since the full glass new roof has an amazing view, I would forgo the sunroof. The above shaves $8000 of the price.
Result is a Model S 100D for $97,300 - $7500 tax credit = $90k (vs $90k for the used 90D)
You will pay more in taxes though: IL private used car sales tax = $1500, buying from Tesla = about $9000.
So ultimately you will save just the sales tax difference for getting a new 100D vs used 90D. Not worth it. I would buy new.

msvoyager -- your analysis is absolutely correct if one doesn't value the options. But I won't drive a stripper -- I think the Ultra HiFi is an absolute must - its not great but the base stereo is truly bad. I also have to have a sunroof. And, I wouldn't pay $90K for the 90d I described. I think that car is worth no more than 70, given that I know CarMax will pay only $63. So, given my minimum option needs, I'm looking at way over a $20K premium for a new 100d.