Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S - no sentry update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Instead of starting a new thread I figured it might be worthwhile to see if there were any updates/fixes for the Sentry issue on a 2016 Model S. My dashboard keeps telling me that there was a Sentry event but I can not view the event on the center screen. I have MCU1 and figure thats the reason... is it?

Instead of starting a new thread I figured it might be worthwhile to see if there were any updates/fixes for the Sentry issue on a 2016 Model S. My dashboard keeps telling me that there was a Sentry event but I can not view the event on the center screen. I have MCU1 and figure thats the reason... is it?
If you have a late 2016 with AP2, the MCU2 upgrade includes HW3 in the cost (along with replacing both displays with versions that won't leak goo). This enables dashcam/Sentry.

Well, you can have AP3 and MCU1 and you will not get Sentry mode or the dashcam. You need MCU2 and AP3. For a very short time Tesla provided Sentry/Dashcam for MCU1 and AP3, limited to 3 cameras, and it was awful. MCU1 just didn't have the processing power to deal with it, and Tesla removed the feature in a later update.

I had one of the early AP3 upgrades with MCU1. Later I had the MCU2 retrofit installed, and sentry/dashcam worked perfectly in my 2016 S and supports recording 4 cameras.

Well, you can have AP3 and MCU1 and you will not get Sentry mode or the dashcam. You need MCU2 and AP3. For a very short time Tesla provided Sentry/Dashcam for MCU1 and AP3, limited to 3 cameras, and it was awful. MCU1 just didn't have the processing power to deal with it, and Tesla removed the feature in a later update.
Sentry recording is most definitely still available for MCU1 cars with at least AP 2.5 and has been since the initial release.

Reactions: vcor
@Krash & @ucmndd - Thanks! I wasn't aware MCU1 (with AP3) could still get Sentry mode.
Actually I wasn’t paying much attention…until my battery was running down more than expected and I noticed that the sentry icon was on the other day. Not sure how that happened.

I removed the USB for dashcam recording years ago in an earlier build at the service center request since everything kept crashing.