Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S P100D or 2020 Model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to buy a Performance Model S Tesla but I don’t know if I should buy a used 2016 P100D Model S from Tesla for roughly $70,000 with approximately 20,000 miles on it or if I should wait for the new 2020 Plaid Performance Model S. A few questions:

1) Do you think the body style change will only be for the Plaid Model S or do you think all model S will have their body style changed? I hate buying a car that has an older body style.

2) Is the Plaid Model S taking over all performance model S from here on out? So, once that comes out, that will be the only performance model you can buy?

3) If I own either car for three years and drive roughly 15,000 miles per year, do you think I would lose more money on the 2016 P100D that would have a total of 65,000 miles on it or do you think I would lose more money on a 2020 Plaid Performance Model S with 45,000 miles on it?

4) Is Tesla only adding a third row to the Plaid Model S or all Tesla Model S?

1) I don't think that there will be a body style change. Aside from extra sporty elements in the Plaid model, that is.
2) No, it will be a performance plus model. The relationship of Performance to Plaid will be like BMW M550i to BMW M5.
3) You'd definitely lose more on the 2016. In four years, you'll be able to sell the car for around $25-30,000. So you'll have spend $40-45,000 on the car. The new Plaid Model S will likely start at around $120,000 but will sell for around $85-90,000. You'll have spent $30-35,000 on that.
4) It's only logical that they'd add it to all Model S's. The non-Plaid models will actually have more space in the area where the footwell should be.

Good luck and stay safe.

honestly, it's hard for me to think of a situation with Tesla or any other car manufacturer where buying a new car results in less depreciation than a used one. Details on the Plaid are pretty sparse at this time, however, I would expect a significant price increase over the existing performance platform, ie 150k+

Therefore, if depreciation is a significant part of the decision, I'd buy a used P100D

Reactions: Iceh8r
If you can afford it get the newest possible model: in this case a new 2020. Newer MY will always have higher resale value plus you'll get the ridiculously fast plaid version and the latest offerings/updates.
Try telling that to the owners who paid $140k for a P90DL. Depreciation is most during the first 3 years of ownership and that's a fact.

That being said, if you can afford the plaid and depreciation isn't the primary driver of the decision, I say go for it.

• Informative
Reactions: Iceh8r
I think the bigger question is how long to wait or get what you want now. Tesla will ALWAYS make new changes without notice and you can always have regrets. NO guarantee of when Plaid will release or when a new interior will be added. This has been debated for at least 2 years.