Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that I've seen the M3 nose, and it is very different from the MX (as I suspected), now I'm even more convinced they won't change the MS front end to resemble either the MX or the M3. They clearly want each car to have its own unique identity.

So yeah, maybe new headlights and ventilated seats as incremental changes, but still no "refresh".

Now that I've seen the M3 nose, and it is very different from the MX (as I suspected), now I'm even more convinced they won't change the MS front end to resemble either the MX or the M3. They clearly want each car to have its own unique identity.

So yeah, maybe new headlights and ventilated seats as incremental changes, but still no "refresh".

The 3 nose is more like the X nose than the S nose. The S looks out of place, whereas the X and 3 look like they came from the same design language.

Man! This is killing me. I just placed an order a few days ago, and have until the middle of next week to cancel for a full refund. I'm so worried that the refresh will come like the week after my S goes into production. Sh**************t. Let it ride or wait for the (rumored? Anything factual to back this up or is it technically just scuttlebutt at the moment?) refresh? Such a tough call. :-/

Man! This is killing me. I just placed an order a few days ago, and have until the middle of next week to cancel for a full refund. I'm so worried that the refresh will come like the week after my S goes into production. Sh**************t. Let it ride or wait for the (rumored? Anything factual to back this up or is it technically just scuttlebutt at the moment?) refresh? Such a tough call. :-/

What's the harm in waiting a few weeks? Most believe changes in April.

I'm just about ready to make my big purchase but can't help feeling that something is around the corner for the Model S. There have been rumors of the 100D and a facelift among other things. Right now, I'm waiting until the Model 3 is announced just in case something for the S is announced at the same time. If nothing happens then, I'm not sure if I'll pull the trigger or wait a little longer. I'd really like to get the refreshed looking S or the updated battery.

Anyone else in the same boat?

I am in the same boat. I got a little too hyped up and thought that there was a chance they would announce it last night, but as we got closer to the date I started to realize that they wouldn't do that because last night was all about the Model 3 and that something like this might steal some thunder. I'm also hoping for a front grill change similar to the Model X. That picture you posted of the white model in this thread looks fantastic. What I really want to know, though, is what kind of changes are likely from a performance standpoint? Does anyone have any good ideas in regards to this? I assume that since they went up incrementally from the 85kwh to the 90kwh and there was a noticeable upgrade in performance that upping it from the 90kwh to a 100kwh would increase it as well, though I understand that the limits of physics will start to create a ceiling in what is even possible. Listed below is what I would hope for and what would make me more than happy. Any feedback on the feasibility/likeliness of this would be cool. Basically, I am hoping for a clear upgrade taking it even close to those ridiculous Bugatti or Porsche 918 level numbers.

- 0-60 acceleration down to around the 2.5-2.6 second range
- Slightly better mid to high range performance
- Obviously it seems the battery would go, what 315 miles?

Give me those or close to them, hopefully with the new front grill (or still without), and I would cough up 150K that day to order one with every option available

I also have an order in the pipeline... It's a little hard seeing the brandy-new Model X and the brandy-new Model 3 and rumors of a "refreshed" Model S and knowing exactly what to do. You can delay indefinitely waiting for it to be "perfect", but nobody wants the last unit off the line of the "older" style... I don't expect any serious changes, my guess is that they will refresh some bolt-on parts (like the nose, and the already-announced wheels/center console) and retool some features/options to bring the S "in line" with the X and 3 and keep selling it for the next two years. I did note that Elon made it clear that the fastest way to get a 3 is to buy X or S, and the Model 3 reservation page is also collecting Model S test drive leads too. It's clear that they don't want to kill off S sales, but what that means exactly? Who knows...

There are enough independent reports (or more accurately rumors) of "price changes", "refresh", etc., etc. that people are hearing from different sources that I will wait out April and see what this brings. Hopefully a BMW-like exterior "tweak" and some new tech to keep us drooling!

If you're waiting to get the latest and greatest, you'll wait forever.

That's exactly right, sir. That's why I may go ahead and take the plunge now. I'm sure I'll get an amazing car either way. I guess I've just heard too much (justifiable!) whining from folks who ordered just before very important things like autopilot hardware. I don't want to be one of those. But I'm also tired of waiting. I'll probably just confirm my order next week and lock in.

Reactions: chriSharek
That's exactly right, sir. That's why I may go ahead and take the plunge now. I'm sure I'll get an amazing car either way. I guess I've just heard too much (justifiable!) whining from folks who ordered just before very important things like autopilot hardware. I don't want to be one of those. But I'm also tired of waiting. I'll probably just confirm my order next week and lock in.

I've been there before, had the last of the old version, when I could of waited a week and had the first of the new version. Takes the shine off for a while. I'm ready to go right now, just waiting on some news on the MS before I pull the trigger.

I‘m not waiting for it to be perfect but it’s not like some updates aren’t due and now they have said there will be a price increase in April. Since I cancelled my MS a few weeks back they added the rims I wanted and the center console. It would be nice to get the updates from the MX. My Lexus has vented seats and I use them all the time. That and updated lights, door storage and automatic doors would be cool to. I really want to put an order in now though. Argghh!

I‘m not waiting for it to be perfect but it’s not like some updates aren’t due and now they have said there will be a price increase in April. Since I cancelled my MS a few weeks back they added the rims I wanted and the center console. It would be nice to get the updates from the MX. My Lexus has vented seats and I use them all the time. That and updated lights, door storage and automatic doors would be cool to. I really want to put an order in now though. Argghh!

+1!

Reactions: Tanquen
That's what I did, I removed delayed delivery (I only had it on in case anything was announced today). I already get new wheels and a center console that wasn't there when I ordered, so I'll roll the dice on anything else. Keeps life exciting.

I get my MS with new wheels in 2 weeks if all goes well. Before I pulled the trigger I looked at buying another prius. I do not like the new body style for 2016 prius and looked for the old style but could not find one.
My point is I really like the style of the Current MS and might not like a refreshed style. Therefore regardless of any changes I really love the look of the MS I ordered and will not be disappointed that I did not wait for the refresh

There is always something better just around the corner sometimes I have to be happy with what is in front of me but to each his own.

Hi, I've got a car on order and have received the notification about the slipstream wheels but seen nothing to indicate a centre console. How do you know you're getting it? My car hasn't entered production yet.
My understanding is that all cars being built now have it... I could be wrong, but I've read some posts about people taking delivery who didn't know they were getting it but did.

I think it's clear the MS is going to get a refresh at some point in the future. The question is really how soon. I would think they'd want to have it occur in advance of the Model 3 launch so that Model 3 orders don't start to cannibalize Model S sales. We'll know more once the Model 3 full specs and price list are released, but if a fully loaded Model 3 competes even marginally with a mid-range Model S, I could see people choosing that for both price and "freshness" reasons. However, if Model S sees a facelift and other upgrades that don't make it into Model 3, I don't see that being the case.

For me specifically, I have tentative plans to replace my Model S with a Model 3 (should be about 4 years old at that point). I'd like a smaller car, especially given that we will have our Model X for people hauling and road trips. However, if the Model S suddenly becomes a more interesting car, it would be easy enough to sway me into another Model S.

Reactions: MrBoylan