Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had ordered in Late-Feb, however, during my enquiry about the 6 week postpone of delivery, the Sales and DS told me that some new features would include to my car, as it just started production in Early-Apr. Seems like several changes for Model S from March, i.e. Slipstream Rim, Front Console included, etc...

You will get the wheels and console. It is unknown if you will get the front end, lights, seats, etc.

Tesla should focus on the user interface refresh and worry less about the exterior and AP. They need to aggressively move to 8.0 of the software, get the nav system up to speed, enable the browser to be fully capable (especially if connected to wifi) allow third party apps, etc. The 17" screen is so beautiful and such a tease. Sadly, once your get past the sheer beauty of it, there's not much under the hood. Virtually every new car on the market today has more functionality (although not as pretty) than the Model S.

The Model S is one of the most beautiful cars on the road today. It's not broken...please don't try to fix it.

Tesla simply doesn't have the need or time to refresh the model s that extensively. I bet it will look almost exactly the same as it does today until it is no longer produced and a "new" s is announced.

What is possible is a feature refresh, led headlights, X seats, auto opening doors, perhaps eliminating the 70 and just having a 90 or 100 pack that would be justifiable for a "price increase". maybe some
Of these things will be retrofittable for current owners :). I hope so.

I would think that if there is a major overhaul of the Model S, there would be an unveiling and invitations, etc. If the redesign is more in the order of LED or LASER headlights, or light tube taillights, then I wouldn't expect one.

Let's place our bets for what the upgrade is going to be:

• Refreshed nose to align more with the rest of the family (but still remain distinctive S).
  • Door pockets.
  • Revised tail lights.
  • Bundled in options as standard which raises base price but increases value (adding premium interior, next Gen seats, LED headlights as standard - with a 4k price increase). This simplifies production, reducing cost which can be passed on to buyers.
  • 100 kwh option offered (additional cost). Current battery options remain as well.

Reactions: gsxdsm
This thread reminds me of why I eschew reports on "leaked info" for upcoming mobile devices from the likes of Apple and Samsung...

At least with those leaked reports on Apple devices we usually get some pictures of other evidence.

The only confirmatory thing we've seen is tesla announcing a price "change" this month. We've had one real "leak", which was the p100d badge. Everything else is complete conjecture, most of it based on the model X, but people are posting about it like its a sure thing.

The last two times I remember tesla increasing the price on the S, it got more standard features (like integrating the tech package), or just a few months ago when they dropped the 85D for the 90D.

My money would be on something similar happening again. Maybe they drop the 90D for the 100d this time, or throw in the push button lift gate and autopilot but raise the price of entry.

Would like to see the seats from the X as an option and the pop out cup holders for the rear seats. Door pockets would be good. A CPU upgrade would be sweet, but probs unlikely.

I'm not convinced that the update to the nosecone is coming in this refresh. Nor can I see them adding the problematic auto presenting doors, at least not yet.

Reactions: Caligula
At least with those leaked reports on Apple devices we usually get some pictures of other evidence.

The only confirmatory thing we've seen is tesla announcing a price "change" this month. We've had one real "leak", which was the p100d badge. Everything else is complete conjecture, most of it based on the model X, but people are posting about it like its a sure thing.

The last two times I remember tesla increasing the price on the S, it got more standard features (like integrating the tech package), or just a few months ago when they dropped the 85D for the 90D.

My money would be on something similar happening again. Maybe they drop the 90D for the 100d this time, or throw in the push button lift gate and autopilot but raise the price of entry.

Would like to see the seats from the X as an option and the pop out cup holders for the rear seats. Door pockets would be good. A CPU upgrade would be sweet, but probs unlikely.

I'm not convinced that the update to the nosecone is coming in this refresh. Nor can I see them adding the problematic auto presenting doors, at least not yet.

There is another thread with pictures of wrapped cars at Fremont with a different nose cone shape...