TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2016 Model X 60D battery

Discussion in 'Model X' started by benjaming_yu, Dec 6, 2018.

1. benjaming_yu

benjaming_yu New Member

Hey everyone. New to here and need some help.

Looking into a CPO 2016 Model X 60D. I thought I can upgrade the battery to 75 KWh. But the sales person told me it is real 60 kWh battery. Is that true?

2. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

Nope. There never was a Model X 60d that was not able to be upgraded. The Tesla expert is mistaken. :eek:

• Like x 3
  3. benjaming_yu

benjaming_yu New Member

So I should be right. All Model X 60D should be able to upgrade to 75D. Thanks for your help.

• Like x 1
  4. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

5. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

Do be aware that the battery has likely degraded a little. You will almost certainly get less range than a new MX75D is supposed to have. For instance, when I upgraded my Model S, I ended up with 249 mi Rated Range rather than the expected 259 miles.

6. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Definitely less range than a new 2018 pack. However, the software limited 60 used the bottom of the pack. So, while still a 2016 pack, it should be better than the average 75kWh from the start pack.

• Like x 1
  7. wehearttessla

wehearttessla Member

I thought all 60d as cpos are automatically upgraded to 75d. That was the case with mine. A full charge says 225 miles. Also, it does 0-60 in 4.9 vs the 6 seconds the 60d does.

• Like x 1
  8. kgerrard

kgerrard Member

This is interesting because lately there have been quite a few 60Ds for sale on Tesla's CPO site. I'm interested to know if they can be upgraded too.

• Like x 1
  9. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

Well they're no longer certified, just pre-owned from Tesla directly. I'm also not aware all CPOs were upgraded to 75Ds. But all remaining new inventory 60Ds were automatically upgraded to 75Ds about mid 2017 prior to sale.

10. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

There are no 60D's, either Model S or X, that can't be upgraded. There were RWD Model S cars with 60 kWh batteries that can't be upgraded, but no dual motor models.

• Like x 1
  11. BulldogsRus

BulldogsRus Member

If you buy it via CarGurus, etc. does Tesla care? I mean, will they charge more to do the upgrade and uncorking? I know some ICE dealers were like this, they wouldn't really go above and beyond if there were rattles, etc. on non-CPO vehicles, i.e. zero "goodwill" repairs/replacements.

12. BulldogsRus

BulldogsRus Member

I assume this isn't free, correct? And if not, is there a set price for all SCs?

13. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

I have no experience that would allow me to answer whether Tesla would refuse to upgrade a 60 kWh battery to 75 kWh if it we're purchased from a dealer. They do not allow an extended warranty to be sold in that case. It doesn't make sense that they would go through the expense to put in untapped battery capacity, then refuse to allow someone to pay them for it.

But businesses do things all the time that don't make sense

14. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

That’s correct. They were upgraded and the upgrade fee was tacked onto the car. The set price to upgrade from a 60D to a 75D is $4,000 last time I checked on a MX. $2,000 on a 60D.

Tesla would not refuse a software only upgrade. It doesn’t cost them a thing. It’s all done over the air, no SC trip needed. You log onto your Tesla account and click purchase. It triggers an update to your car. The end. I’ve done this on my car. The only reason you’d go to the SC is to get a new badge..if you care.

Now there’s a separate issue. Upgrading from a 60D to a 75D removes the top speed limiter. But it does NOT uncork the vehicle. Uncorking the vehicles requires a SC visit and configure update. In 2017, SCs would uncork a car out of goodwill but it was only eligible for 75Ds and not 60Ds. So a bunch of people bulked their upgrades and uncorking together (I am one of them)

Fast forward to now. That goodwill is reportedly ended. Some people are reporting that despite upgrading to a 75D, Tesla no longer uncorks the car after. It doesn’t mean it can’t be done, but depending on the SC they may not be willing to do it.

• Like x 1
  15. jmcmill

jmcmill Member

It’s currently $4,500 for the MX

16. BulldogsRus

BulldogsRus Member

I just don't understand that, if it really takes little to no time and it was previously offered then why randomly stop it? Much like Ludicrous, people PAID for that and they still ended it.

• Informative x 1
  17. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Funny x 2
  18. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

Lol but this is right. They didn’t make money on uncorking, it was good will. With a SC backlog, why not get rid of it. Software upgrades to a 75D still exists. Just no uncorking. $ and no SC backlog.

19. wehearttessla

wehearttessla Member

When I was looking in September I never saw a 60d CPO. All the 60ds were upgraded to 75 automatically. This may have changed recently. My car was made in Oct 2016. Owned for 2 years as a lease. I purchased CPO, it still had the 60d badge but was upgraded to 75.

It makes sense for Tesla to do this with CPO because they can charge more and it costs them nothing.

20. wehearttessla

wehearttessla Member

But it does look like they have 60ds listed now

New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

I looked for 2 months before buying mine and never saw a 60d listed as CPO.