Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My biggest fear is that I order something, and then a month or two later something drastically new comes out.
This will happen. When it does, you are still happy you got your S when you did because it's better than what you were driving. You also keep note of the next set of improvements a few months later, and again, and so on until you decide to upgrade. Might be in a few months, a few years or never. You should not regret ordering your car based on what you just missed, though some people always will. Love the one you're with...

cars.com
autotrader.com and cargurus.com

There are several currently listed.

I looked out of curiousity. You're right, there are 3 85Ds on cars.com, though only P85Ds on cargurus and autotrader is a mess. They have a number of cars they are called "Signature" which I don't think can be a Signature car like a 2015 Model S Signature. If I understand it right, Tesla only built the Signature cars for a short run at the beginning of the Model S production run and haven't built any since.

In any case you're right, there are a few 85Ds out there for sale, though it is probably one of the hardest to find versions of the Model S on the used market.

I was hoping the model-X R&D would bring 360 cameras to the model-s, so I waited. Unfortnately, there doesn't seem to be a 360 camera system for the X, let alone the S. Bummer.

Im still waiting though. Just committed to my current car for some more runtime by buying new tires.

One can only hope I don't become a case study here, being known as THAT guy who kept on waiting, and waiting, and waiting, never to buy.

At least I'm waiting for something specific, and not just the next big thing. So there's that.

I was hoping the model-X R&D would bring 360 cameras to the model-s, so I waited. Unfortnately, there doesn't seem to be a 360 camera system for the X, let alone the S. Bummer.

Im still waiting though. Just committed to my current car for some more runtime by buying new tires.

One can only hope I don't become a case study here, being known as THAT guy who kept on waiting, and waiting, and waiting, never to buy.

At least I'm waiting for something specific, and not just the next big thing. So there's that.

I was waiting for the same thing, but when thew X didn't offer it, I assumed that it's not coming any time soon.

Besides, when 7.1 comes with stall parking, then 90% of my use case for my current 360 camera is taken care of by "the monkey". (Parallel parking is already here.)

I was also interested in ventilated seats, which *are* on the X, but people here have convinced me that cabin pre-cooling gets you much of the same benefit.

Then I thought about waiting for AP 2.0 hardware, but I agree with those here that it's not going to be utilized any time soon (like years), so I figure I will consider upgrading when that time comes and enjoy the MS in the meantime.

Plus, making that decision let me order now. :)

My personal opinion is that when they unveil the 3, they'll also announce new features for the S to keep people excited about it. If not, many people on the fence might decide to wait two years to get better tech for half the price.

Transcript from Q3 2015 conference call, Elon Musk:

"So every week, there are approximately 20 engineering changes made to the car. So it'snot really -- it's not nearly as discreet as you're alluding to with other manufacturers, they tend to sort ofby delivered in together in a model year. In our case, it's a series of rolling changes, so model yeardoesn't mean as much.
There are cases where that step change may be a little higher than normal, as for example, with havingthe autopilot, camera, radar and ultrasonics. But we try to actually keep those step changes as small aspossible. And so, that's essentially the kind of questions that I get is from friends is, hey, when should I buya Model S? And my answer is always right now, and they say well, aren't you going to make abetter one in six months? And I am like, yes, of course. But if their goal is to only buy a Model S whenthere aren't significant improvements happening, then they will never buy one. "

My personal opinion is that when they unveil the 3, they'll also announce new features for the S to keep people excited about it. If not, many people on the fence might decide to wait two years to get better tech for half the price.

When the final configuration of the Model X was shown off at the end of September, I believe they had a spike in Model S sales. There were a number of Model X reservation holders here on the forum who switched to a Model S because they didn't like the final configuration of the Model X. No matter how hard they try, there will always be some people who don't like the new model. Since the Model X and S are priced close together, anyone who can afford a Model X can afford a Model S. That isn't the case with the Model 3. But there will be some people who wanted a smaller car, could afford a Model S if they really wanted one, but won't like the Model 3.

For a while I think Tesla is going to stimulate sales with incentive programs rather than a lot of new features for the Model S. They only have so many engineering and design resources and virtually all of them are tied down with the Model 3 development and Model X finishes to be concentrating much on the Model S. Rumors abound about what will be happening with the Model S, but it's going to be a backwater project for a while. Currently only one version of the Model X has been unveiled to the public. All the feature sets for all the options in the regular version of the Model X are probably getting their final touches right now.

A company like Ford or Daimler can work on many car development projects at once. There is probably at least some minimal design work going into every car in their lineup all the time. Tesla is a flyspeck company compared to those companies. Tesla has about 10,000 employees, Daimler has 260,000 and Ford about 180,000. (All those numbers have probably changed from the data I was able to get in a quick web search, but it gives you an idea of the relative size.) Only a small percentage of those 10,000 are doing R&D.

When the Model X program is stable they might throw some resources at a Model S facelift, but I expect it will be after the Model 3 is announced and shown to the world.