Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 P100D with AP2 for $79K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cars depreciate in value every day and though car dealers play this game, there is nothing preventing a customer from making an offer. If the offer is reasonable, the dealer will accept the offer.

Except in this case you have no way to make an offer and that's a big differentiator.
That is not true. A friend bought a used Toyota Sienna couple of years ago from a dealer like that. The dealer did not entertain any offers - they explained to him that the price lowers every week (even told him how much the next discount was going to be) and if he wants a lower price to come back next week, and if the car hasn't sold by then, it will be discounted. If you think about it, it simplifies things for the dealer too, for example they don't need to have anyone onsite to do the negotiations, plus there are no multi-hour negotiations to be had with customers - all that costs the dealership money as they have to staff for that. The cost savings combine with potentially selling at higher prices may net a profit to the dealer even when offset by customers who are turned off by this model.

In the case of my friend it worked. At first he didn't buy the car, but then did more research and found only 3 cars with the discontinued seat configuration he needed for his large family, so he decided to pay the current price and get the van at ~$1,500 over what he researched the market value of it was, simply because he needed the car (his old one was totaled in an accident) and didn't want the car to sell and have to look for more of that rare configuration, possibly having to ship it from another state. One thing to note, the dealer didn't apply any pressure tactics, nobody called him at home or anything like that. It was pretty much like Tesla model, take it or leave it (though they did let him set drive the car, unlike Tesla).

Ultimately the market decides what something is worth and I'm not sure how effective are the games they play with prices. I can say the pricing games have not worked with us.
I wasn't defending the model, nor did I say it works on everyone. I was simply stating that it is not a new sales model, and that it seems to work for some sellers, including Tesla, since they stick with it. The goal of a sales model is to maximize profit, not to sell to every customer. It's kind of like when you see items go in auctions for more than new, or when you search prices on the internet and find people listing items at high markups and think "who would buy a graphics card on Amazon for $1,749 when they can buy it direct from manufacturer for $1,199 ?!?" This is an actual example by the way from December 2018. Even today, after the Christmas rush, the same card lists on Amazon between $1,400-$1,500:
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition
While you can buy the same thing from the manufacturer for $1,199 (with a bonus $60 game):
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shop/geforce/?page=1&limit=9&locale=en-us
Obviously they are not selling to customers who do their research, but since those sellers pay Amazon to warehouse it (half of them are "Fullfillment by Amazon") they obviously must sell enough to make a profit.

Welcome to the free market! :)

That is not true. A friend bought a used Toyota Sienna couple of years ago from a dealer like that. The dealer did not entertain any offers - they explained to him that the price lowers every week (even told him how much the next discount was going to be) and if he wants a lower price to come back next week, and if the car hasn't sold by then, it will be discounted. If you think about it, it simplifies things for the dealer too, for example they don't need to have anyone onsite to do the negotiations, plus there are no multi-hour negotiations to be had with customers - all that costs the dealership money as they have to staff for that. The cost savings combine with potentially selling at higher prices may net a profit to the dealer even when offset by customers who are turned off by this model.

In the case of my friend it worked. At first he didn't buy the car, but then did more research and found only 3 cars with the discontinued seat configuration he needed for his large family, so he decided to pay the current price and get the van at ~$1,500 over what he researched the market value of it was, simply because he needed the car (his old one was totaled in an accident) and didn't want the car to sell and have to look for more of that rare configuration, possibly having to ship it from another state. One thing to note, the dealer didn't apply any pressure tactics, nobody called him at home or anything like that. It was pretty much like Tesla model, take it or leave it (though they did let him set drive the car, unlike Tesla).

If it happened to me, I would have found the same car elsewhere, likely for less. This is the first time i heard of a car dealer not having the staff to get back to a customer's offer :p

The current reverse auction pricing game they play is awful and it might not have their intended outcome. It certainly did not work with us as we decided to pass on what we were looking to buy 6 months ago altogether.

I still think it is best to price reasonably according to what the market will play rather than play games with prices going up and down by 10K.

If it happened to me, I would have found the same car elsewhere, likely for less.
Oh, he tried. Found 3 total within 150 miles of the house which had the discontinued seat configuration, the one he bought was equipped the closest to what he wanted and had the least miles. Any other ones would have required shipping from way out of state.

This is the first time i heard of a car dealer not having the staff to get back to a customer's offer :p
Dealers are evolving too, trying to find a way to cut costs and make more money. I'm surprised you never heard of it. I remember "no dicker sticker" events at dealerships even in the 90's where a dealership wanted to move a lot of cars, stickered each car with a price, and there was no negotiations, take it or leave it. The goal was to move a lot of cars and you can't do that with each customer negotiating for hours.

The current reverse auction pricing game they play is awful and it might not have their intended outcome. It certainly did not work with us as we decided to pass on what we were looking to buy 6 months ago altogether.
Again, the intended outcome is maximum profit, not to satisfy all potential customers. Usually, the lower the price, the more customers buy the product, but not always more profit made.

I still think it is best to price reasonably according to what the market will play rather than play games with prices going up and down by 10K.
Aha! Here is the problem. Determining "what the market will pay" is the challenge. Auction models are specifically intended to find this out, without the need to negotiations (which have the same goal, find the maximum price market will pay). Skilled negotiators cost more money than a simple reverse auction algorithm, so there is room for the algorithm to be less effective, yet still more profitable.

Last edited:
Interesting that you need to throw cold water in here. I'd like to know the percentage of owners who "got socked for ($)5 k in repairs right out the door." I'd bet they're pretty rare. I don't know anyone who did. Did you? Do you?

I sold my first S on a RAV4EV forum. It was bought in four hours. The poor sucker still drives it, and it still looks beautiful.
Yes, I've read dozens of stories in these forums.

Tip for the future; just because you think something doesn't mean it's actually true.

This was originally a Demo/loaner before being sold with 5K miles on it.

Not much difference from some CPO cars being used as service loaners. We know CPO inventory vehicles have been used as service loaners as some forum members have found their loaner in the CPO inventory for sale.

I feel some of the CPO inventory gets trashed/abused and end up in such bad shape after being used as service loaners for a while. At least this car is sitting at a dealer lot and not being used as a service loaner until sold...

Yeah with the silver one in GA selling for $80k and the blue one selling for 84k you would think some of the other dealers would get real about the pricing, especially as from Tesla.com is going in the low 90’s

Maybe if Tesla announces something new with the battery changes next week It will have some positive effects

and on the other hand, there's those people who got socked for 5 k in repairs right out the door. Glad you had good luck.

You imply that most people (the average luck folk) are going to get socked with some kind of repair, when in actuality it is an extremely small percentage. Most people drive on out and enjoy the car from day one. Some make arrangements to bring the car back to the service center for some minor repair (like a paint scratch) which is covered for free. Very few have to pay for any repairs "right out the door" unless THEY were the cause of the damage. Folks who post on this forum know they can't post this kind of stuff and be believed. I'm not sure you should be called the evil twin. More likely you were the one the nurse dropped? Your comment doesn't make sense.

You imply that most people (the average luck folk) are going to get socked with some kind of repair, when in actuality it is an extremely small percentage. Most people drive on out and enjoy the car from day one. Some make arrangements to bring the car back to the service center for some minor repair (like a paint scratch) which is covered for free. Very few have to pay for any repairs "right out the door" unless THEY were the cause of the damage. Folks who post on this forum know they can't post this kind of stuff and be believed. I'm not sure you should be called the evil twin. More likely you were the one the nurse dropped? Your comment doesn't make sense.

Just keep in mind that Tesla has increased the cost of their warranty about 3 times so presumably they have found the warranty costs being higher than even they estimated.

IMHO for a car that only Tesla can repair it is worthwhile to buy the warranty. No way we would own a Tesla without a warranty.

Hey, Bruce....where is the Snippiness Police when I need them?

No, worries....hold my beer, I got this.

Stupid old guy - just because you THINK something is true DOES NOT MAKE IT SO. Use you head for something other than a hat rest.

Come here and make that joke about me being dropped on my head, so you can REALLY get dropped on your head.

• Funny
Reactions: Don TLR
I am a bit surprised with the lack of P100D inventory. There should be dozens of P100Ds for sale now based on the 2016 2 and 3 year leases along with the 2017 2 year leases being returned.

I think for the first two years the P100D depreciaition is closer to about $2,500/month.