Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017-2020 Model 3 recalled for trunk/rear camera issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve spoke to about this with Tesla via the app and also mobile tech twice.

They inspect and if not frayed they basically do nothing.

If slightly damaged they just add plastic clip.

If deep damaged replace the cable and add clip.

On mine they replaced the wire as well. The plastic under the trunk lid wasn't fully snapped back on when I got it back but a few pushes fixed that. I had a service appointment for a minor issue with the driver's seat, and Tesla added this fix to the appointment.

On mine they replaced the wire as well. The plastic under the trunk lid wasn't fully snapped back on when I got it back but a few pushes fixed that. I had a service appointment for a minor issue with the driver's seat, and Tesla added this fix to the appointment.
Ahh thanks for the update. Where u located at? I wonder if socal will have better chance of getting the fix.

I’ve spoke to about this with Tesla via the app and also mobile tech twice.

They inspect and if not frayed they basically do nothing.

If slightly damaged they just add plastic clip.

If deep damaged replace the cable and add clip.
This makes no sense on Teslas part. I know it comes down to cost savings on parts but they should install the guide now to preclude/prevent ANY fraying at all so they DONT have to replace the harness in the future. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️ I would think they’d at least install the bumper guide at a minimum even if everything looks ok. It’s for protection anyway.

Ski

I finally go around to printing this:

Four links worked perfect and it gives the cable a nice radius while leaving a good amount of room to close. It will touch the paint so you are going to want to make sure to keep dirt and grit to a minimum. I suspect the Tesla solution to do the same, but it is rubber instead of plastic. I’ll take that trade off over no backup camera.

The recall used to show up as a service item in the app with a note about notification when parts are available. It’s now gone. It would appear Tesla is going to slow walk this.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
I have 'Parts available for Rear Harness Recall' for my 2020 M3. Nothing shows in app for my 2018 M3.
I'm guessing '18 needs harness whereas '20 needs guide. Was hoping to get both done by mobile service at same time.
Otoh, both have aftermarket electric trunk openers!

I have 'Parts available for Rear Harness Recall' for my 2020 M3. Nothing shows in app for my 2018 M3.
I'm guessing '18 needs harness whereas '20 needs guide. Was hoping to get both done by mobile service at same time.
Otoh, both have aftermarket electric trunk openers!
Depends when in 2018. A few pages back I posted pictures from the recall bulletin. if you have the yellow stripe coax cable you get a harness. My guess is when in 2018 they switched even Tesla doesn’t know.

In the meantime, hopefully this pipe insulation will reduce stress on the cable:
foam on wiring harness 1.jpg

foam on wiring harness 2.jpg