Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017-75 vs 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a 2023 LR S because of FSD transfer which I have in my 2017 S. I have unlimited supercharging and premium connectivity in my 2017. Would you do that or should I cancel and wait? 2017's another advantage is it does not have interior camera while it has FSD. 2023 has dual motors, longer range but I charge free with unlimited supercharging I have.

If you want FSD in the new car, there’s no way you’ll ever spend close to $15k on supercharging.
This is a nice take. I check my charge stats and I see that I charged 5200 kwh in the last year. With local super charger rate x0.50 = $2600 /year. It would take ~5 years (assuming price increases) to compensate $15k. I only use supercharging lately since there's one opened conveniently close to work and I eat or do errands while I charge x3 a week. I would be losing PC too but it's negligible.

This is a nice take. I check my charge stats and I see that I charged 5200 kwh in the last year. With local super charger rate x0.50 = $2600 /year. It would take ~5 years (assuming price increases) to compensate $15k. I only use supercharging lately since there's one opened conveniently close to work and I eat or do errands while I charge x3 a week. I would be losing PC too but it's negligible.
I had a similar dilemma when I traded in my S75D. Home charge rates are 3x cheaper than SC rates for me. According to my calculations, the lifetime benefit came to be about $10k. I am not missing it on the roundtrips, as M3 charges way faster than S75D ever did.

Reactions: asterothe
@asterothe, I just did this. I traded in my late 2017 Model S 100D for a Model S Plaid (and did the FSD transfer). I too had unlimited supercharging and premium connectivity. Very rarely used the supercharging except on road trips. The connectivity is only $100/year, so not really a meaningful savings.

I usually agonize after a big purchase, second guessing myself. Not once did I do that this time! It's just awesome! It's like the ultimate upgrade: It feels completely new, but there's a hint of nostalgia that makes it very comforting. Trust me, you won't regret it!!

Also, drove both the Yoke and the Steering Wheel, and ended liking the Yoke better, as did my wife. I figured by getting the Yoke, if I ended up hating it, it was only $750 to replace it with a Steering Wheel (there's no option to go from Wheel to Yoke).

Please let me know if you have any questions! Like I said, it's awesome! Now I just need to updated my profile pick...

@Speedr117 Thank you so much for your insightful post. I was already excited but now even much more. It's great to know there will be a lot to experience while old good stuff stays. I have a single motor so dual motor will be an upgrade for me too. Is FSDb working fine for you now with the new update?

@Speedr117 Thank you so much for your insightful post. I was already excited but now even much more. It's great to know there will be a lot to experience while old good stuff stays. I have a single motor so dual motor will be an upgrade for me too. Is FSDb working fine for you now with the new update?

@asterothe, FSDb has just started going out to Hardware 4 cars (which any Model S built in the last few months has). They keep you on the factory build for a few weeks after delivery, so haven't gotten it yet. If you ever aren't sure how much you rely on FSDb, try going without it! For me, I miss it dearly. The only good news is, the new car is so much fun to drive...

Reactions: asterothe
I had a 2017 S 100D for 5 years and sold it last year for a new 2022. I have had it now for one year and about 10000 miles. I mostly charged at home so I only miss the free supercharging when I take a long trip. However, the 250kw chargers get the job done a lot faster. I like the yoke steering wheel on the open highway but the round wheel is better for making turns. The fit and finish on the new 2017 was better. Tesla got sloppy, not better with age. I sure do miss the levers from 2017. You have to take your eyes off the road to initiate most functions, forward-reverse, turn signals, wipers. After a year it is still not automatic. I have the FSD beta and find the most recent updates have screwed up seat settings and auto wipers.

Still a fun car to drive!!!