Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Push me or hold me back: trade in 2019 MS for Sept 2023 MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you can afford it and it’s no big deal to you financially, the new S is leagues ahead of the old one. It’s that simple. I wouldn’t have touched a pre-2021 S with a barge pole. Ergonomically a disaster, the vertical screen, the no door pockets, boat-y handling etc. I had a 2019 S as a loaner when my Model 3 was being serviced, and aside from the hatch space and air suspension there was nothing I preferred over the Model 3. Anyway, see my first sentence. 😂

If you can afford it and it’s no big deal to you financially, the new S is leagues ahead of the old one. It’s that simple. I wouldn’t have touched a pre-2021 S with a barge pole. Ergonomically a disaster, the vertical screen, the no door pockets, boat-y handling etc. I had a 2019 S as a loaner when my Model 3 was being serviced, and aside from the hatch space and air suspension there was nothing I preferred over the Model 3. Anyway, see my first sentence. 😂
Interestingly, in my opinion, only thing better in the new S compared to Raven is door pockets. I have done several test drives

Reactions: NewEnglander
Interestingly, in my opinion, only thing better in the new S compared to Raven is door pockets. I have done several test drives
That makes precisely no sense at all. I mean, sure, this sort of thing is subjective but the entire layout of the car is far more ergonomic in terms of interior space and storage areas, trunk speed opening/closing, sound dampening, audio system quality etc etc. Not to mention handling and performance on another level. Oh, and it’s better looking now, too. 😅

That makes precisely no sense at all. I mean, sure, this sort of thing is subjective but the entire layout of the car is far more ergonomic in terms of interior space and storage areas, trunk speed opening/closing, sound dampening, audio system quality etc etc. Not to mention handling and performance on another level. Oh, and it’s better looking now, too. 😅

Yeah. Not sure how he came up with that take, at all. I mean, my 2023 is better than my 2021

Obviously your observations are different from mine. Better looking? Sure 😀
If Tesla adds proper steering wheel with stalks, I’ll buy one tomorrow, otherwise, I’m going to “upgrade “ my 3 LR with an M3P. I’m happy for people who love their cars

My worry is that the resale value will drop even further as the market gets used to the new lower pricing. Right now the non tesla used car people may not be reflecting this new change so there may be a small window for better valuation.

I often read that comment, but struggle to understand it.

Like for most cars - if not all -, the biggest part by far of depreciation is happening during the first 3 years and is behind you anyway.

You will now probably only loose 6 to 10k$ per year in the coming years, while with the new one you will be again subject to a substantial loss of value during the first 3 years.

On an ICE someone may argue about increasing maintenance costs over time, increased risk at end of guarantee, etc.
But on a BEV maintenance costs are very limited. And although there can be some expensive repairs with a Model S, that will not be in the same order of magnitude than depreciation of a new car.

The real only risk (and significant value drop coming) is at the end of the 8 year battery guarantee.

There may be a lot of good reasons to buy a new model S, but in my opinion that can't be for a "rational" financial reason.