Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 75D A/C issue in AZ Summer.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Made a service appointment a few months back for an A/C problem that I've been having. The A/C will randomly start blowing warm air for 5-10 minutes, then eventually will start to blow cold. Tesla service ran their A/C diagnostic test and said everything checked out okay. So I picked the car up.

A few days later same thing started happening, I started sending bug reports in with the voice command every time the air blows warm. Basically I know something is wrong and deal with the air blowing hot for a few minutes. Yesterday when I left work, the A/C was blowing hot air the entire 30 minute commute home. Let the car sit in the garage a few hours and went back out and turned on the A/C, still was hot. Made a service appointment (again), and the first available date is a month out. Driving a month is the hottest part of Arizona summer sounds terrible.

This morning I thought it was going to be a hot drive to work, turned on the A/C and the damn thing is blowing cold again WTF? Anyone have a similar issue? Sorry for the long post.

FYI. There is no "sending" with bug reports. When you record a bug report, it simply places a marker(s) in the log file of the computer on the car. Makes it easier for the technicians to go to the specific area within the log for the timeframe you reported the issue. Nothing actually gets uploaded from car to tesla when you submit a bug report

My car does this occasionally when it's very hot here in the central CA interior (2016 S75). I usually get a warning message on the center screen saying "AC temporarily reduced, vehicle systems being cooled". A few minutes later it blows cold again.

When is the last time you had your AC serviced / desiccant bag replaced? Been a few years for me. Was thinking of taking the car in to have that done as a maintenance task and potential resolution.

Update... Tesla found that the A/C compressor would turn off when the Air suspension compressor turned on. They added or replaced electrical harness overlay, Part ASY,HRN,MDLS,LHD, JUMPER(1457501-00-A).

Took Tesla service several appointments to diagnose properly. Just FYI if anyone has the same issue.

Reactions: GrabberOrange
Also in Arizona. Have two model s’ s. On very hot days this can happen. Blowing warm air for only a minute or two. Both cars have experience this. I assume it’s iced up and melting the ice off the condenser. Cold air returns. Not sure that’s what happening but a minor problem. Usually occurs on longer drives.

Update... Tesla found that the A/C compressor would turn off when the Air suspension compressor turned on. They added or replaced electrical harness overlay, Part ASY,HRN,MDLS,LHD, JUMPER(1457501-00-A).

Took Tesla service several appointments to diagnose properly. Just FYI if anyone has the same issue.
This is what I have done so for the the same issue for my Model S 2017 75D. Just approved the estimation for replacing the Battery Coolant Pump. Any chance they have been misdiagnosed my issue and keep replacing wrong parts?

Aug 2019 : In-Service for A/C not blowing cold air intermittently.
  • Technician found A/C to be operating as designed. This issue was not resolved.
May 2020 : In-Service for A/C not blowing cold air intermittently
  • Battery Chiller and TXV Assembly Replaced and A/C Refrigerant Recharged. A/C seems to be working better after the service.
June 2020 : In-Service for A/C not blowing cold air intermittently (again).
  • EVAP Temp Sensor Replaced. A/C seems to be working better after the service.
Jul 2021 : In-Service for A/C not blowing cold air most of the time.
  • Actuator-inlet replaced and A/C Refrigerant recharged. A/C seems to be working better after the service.
Nov 2021 : In-Service for A/C not blowing cold air at all!!
  • Estimation received for Replacing Battery Coolant Pump

I had this same issue here in AZ too. Originally (more than a year ago) the service guy said it was related to the whole 8g MMC thing that was recalled but of course still waiting for the replacement parts. I got really frustrated with the AC going off and on in the 110 heat so I finally got an appointment for them to look at it. I guess they finally discovered the wiring harness controlling the compressor was not properly isolated from stray signals and had to be covered with some shielding. They say it was now fixed. Well I haven't needed AC since it was done in November and the weather has been great. I have run the AC and it hasn't cut out at all yet. So I am hopeful it is finally repaired.

Thanks for posting this. I had the same issue and they diagnosed it remotely and it seems to be fixed for me after they replaced this same part.