Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, here is the answer for all of that.
Tesla Earnings: 'Here's What Those Fools Don't Realize'
Tesla Earnings: 'Here's What Those Fools Don't Realize' - Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

A good read, even taking into account the old echo-chamber effect. I love this quote:

I like to remind skeptics that years ago it has hard to believe Musk when he said SpaceX (SPACE) would propulsively land space capsules and rockets with the precision of a helicopter. Before SpaceX, propulsive landing had only been seen in science fiction movies. When I first heard Musk make this pronouncement, I thought to myself, “this guy is either delusional or a genius.” Well, now I know which one it is.

A good read, even taking into account the old echo-chamber effect. I love this quote:

I like to remind skeptics that years ago it has hard to believe Musk when he said SpaceX (SPACE) would propulsively land space capsules and rockets with the precision of a helicopter. Before SpaceX, propulsive landing had only been seen in science fiction movies. When I first heard Musk make this pronouncement, I thought to myself, “this guy is either delusional or a genius.” Well, now I know which one it is.

When the dip happened right after earnings I was disouraged. Then I drove our tesla model X and I realized its foolish to worry long term. So I bought on the downtrend, at 313, at 311 and at 296. Now that it reversed I'll wait for the next downtrend :) didnt sell any since I had to free up cash to buy the Model X :)

Charlie Munger,
Q: What are your thoughts about Elon Musk [CEO of Tesla, SpaceX, SolarCity] and what he's doing?

Munger: I think Elon Musk is a genius and I don't use that word lightly. I think he's also one of the boldest men that ever came down the pike. Put me down as saying I've always been afraid of the guy whose IQ is 190 and he thinks it's 250. I like to think there’s a little of that risk with Elon. He is a certified genius.

-----------------------------

As soon as Tesla gets profitable, and Warren understand the moat that Tesla has. Be ready for a 5% Berkshire participation.

Some people forget how many times Elon and his people have done the impossible. Even some of us believers need a reminder every now and again. But some people will focus on the fact that Elon probably said he would land that rocket in 3 months, and it actually took 6 months. Or even worse they would say the 16 story rocket missed the center of the X on the drone ship by at least 2 feet, and that is clearly not not helicopter accuracy, here is a link to Airbus's helicopter site to prove it!

I dont care if he is not accurate with his time estimates, and I dont care if he doesnt ever deliver half the crap he says he will, they (Elon and his people) will still deliver 10x more then most ever believed they could. I still find myself think, how the hell is he going to pull that off. It has forced me to really open my mind and not think so hard about how it is to hard and more about how can it be done. I mean, Elon says its possible so it must be possible. I think that is half his super power. He seems to will large groups of people to accomplish things that they wouildnt have been able to do if he wasnt forcing them out of their comfort zone.

Wanted to share a quick and dirty chart that I've been using to gauge buy/sell triggers for my core holdings.

I've create a high/low market cap scenario in 2025 for TSLA, extrapolated a share price, and literally drew a line from Jan1 2025 all the way down to the last major dip to $178. The three scenarios are as follows:

436bn market cap in 2025 - share price of $2,800 (red line)
624bn market cap in 2025 - share price of $4,000 (blue line)
1092bn market cap in 2025 - share price of $7,000 (green line)

View attachment 225796

Essentially, if the thesis is that Tesla will be x $s in market cap in 2025, it would very loosely (like super loosely) follow a path all the way to that market valuation. This enables me to get a decent sense of where the stock lives in relation to those targets. If it crosses the red line, it suggest that I should add to my core holdings. If it's anywhere between the red line and green line, I should ride along with it and use LEAPS to try and play the swings. If it passes the green line, I should sell a portion (or the entire) set of holdings.

This is about as simple and stupid as it gets, but for the long game I think it gives me a solid point of reference to understand if the stock price jives with Tesla's path to world domination, and if an action should be taken based on said perception.

NOT AN ADVICE.
I'm a simple minded investor and really like this approach. What tool/website did you use in your screen shot?

Charlie Munger,
Q: What are your thoughts about Elon Musk [CEO of Tesla, SpaceX, SolarCity] and what he's doing?

Munger: I think Elon Musk is a genius and I don't use that word lightly. I think he's also one of the boldest men that ever came down the pike. Put me down as saying I've always been afraid of the guy whose IQ is 190 and he thinks it's 250. I like to think there’s a little of that risk with Elon. He is a certified genius.

-----------------------------

As soon as Tesla gets profitable, and Warren understand the moat that Tesla has. Be ready for a 5% Berkshire participation.
Where is this from? I know the annual Berkshire shareholder meeting in this weekend....is it from that already who an article?

TSLA should rise in anticipation of the shareholders meeting on June 6. The quarterly CCs are used to mainly discuss current results, whereas the yearly meeting is used more to discuss the future plans and direction of the company, which always puts Tesla in a better light.

Reactions: Ameliorate
Except for the fact that Tesla has a good idea of what they will do with it. They can just change their timing on when they'll do it.

I think you may be underestimating how much cash Tesla will be spitting out starting 2H18.

Even if they build ten gigafactories simultaneously, that's $10B of capex per year (assuming $1B per year spent on each and five years to completion). And that investment starts spitting out more cash, so it's endless.

This is why Apple, Facebook, Google, and Microsoft are all sitting on hundreds of billions in cash. At some point, spending can't keep up with cash generation.

According to my DCF, Tesla will get there in 2021, which is when I expect stock buybacks to start.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: everman and Skryll
I'm horrible at calling short-term price action, but I wouldn't be surprised if TSLA made a move to $310 today even though it seems like MMs are trying to pin it at $305.

Not an advice ;)

I think I got lucky this time.

I'm sticking to stock only with reasonable use of very low-cost margin (as opposed to lottery-ticket style OTM short-term call options).

Having said that, piecing together the very positive earnings report, combined with shorts' inability to keep TSLA down, and upcoming Model 3 final reveal event, we may be setting up nicely for a short-squeeze in the coming weeks.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Status
Not open for further replies.