Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember the good ol'days when 305 was the ATH and we all wondered if we could hold it.. was that even a month ago? Soon after gaped up to 311 then shortly there after 327. Wonder how many days it will take for a new ATH.
I believe that most of strength of the SP is due to M3 ramp optimism. If that is correct , and there are no public glitches in the interim I think that the SP will be higher in June, after the M3 reveal event.

It must be so frustrating to be short right now. Before earnings they could look forward to earnings and tell themselves that Tesla is loosing tons of cash. Right after earnings, they were somewhat right in that Tesla lost more cash than expected. Now, they're just sitting there watching their money go up in flames. And the worst part is that it is three months until the next quarterly report, and in the meantime the excitement for Model 3 release will increase for every day.
All that it might take to cause a serious temporary dip is a publicly known glitch in the M3 ramp. That could happen at the shareholders meeting, or the next ER

It's kind of sad in a way. I took some profits earlier when we hit ATH thinking I'd buy those back in at 270. Looks like it's not happening for awhile. I'm sure others were thinking the same thing. Oh well, can't complain too much.
I had a stop loss that was at 300, and then I bought back in at 294 yesterday. I wasn't trying to play the market, that stop loss was there as I honestly didn't expect it to drop so far. If I did, I would have sold back when it hit the 325+ level. It ended up inadvertently netting me some extra, even though it wasn't my goal. I'm glad to see it go back up though, and that I didn't wait for a 270 like I originally was thinking it would go down to. (I had a limit order set ready to pounce)

Wanted to share a quick and dirty chart that I've been using to gauge buy/sell triggers for my core holdings.

I've create a high/low market cap scenario in 2025 for TSLA, extrapolated a share price, and literally drew a line from Jan1 2025 all the way down to the last major dip to $178. The three scenarios are as follows:

436bn market cap in 2025 - share price of $2,800 (red line)
624bn market cap in 2025 - share price of $4,000 (blue line)
1092bn market cap in 2025 - share price of $7,000 (green line)

upload_2017-5-5_12-56-5.png

Essentially, if the thesis is that Tesla will be x $s in market cap in 2025, it would very loosely (like super loosely) follow a path all the way to that market valuation. This enables me to get a decent sense of where the stock lives in relation to those targets. If it crosses the red line, it suggest that I should add to my core holdings. If it's anywhere between the red line and green line, I should ride along with it and use LEAPS to try and play the swings. If it passes the green line, I should sell a portion (or the entire) set of holdings.

This is about as simple and stupid as it gets, but for the long game I think it gives me a solid point of reference to understand if the stock price jives with Tesla's path to world domination, and if an action should be taken based on said perception.

NOT AN ADVICE.

These are the headlines from CNBC, these people have no shame spreading false accusations.
LATEST FROM OUR PARTNERS

"Latest from our partners" = "Here's some articles written by boneheads on our affiliate blogging advertising "news" sites.

maybe @myusername can give you an answer ? where is him today?

Hmmm, it might be an interesting task for people with technical analysis skills: examine the correlation between the number of posts by myusername on a day and the stock price movement of the day. It feels like a strong inverse correlation (if the price is down, his post count is up)...

Hmmm, it might be an interesting task for people with technical analysis skills: examine the correlation between the number of posts by myusername on a day and the stock price movement of the day. It feels like a strong inverse correlation (if the price is down, his post count is up)...
He did well calling the run up through February. His advice since then has quite frankly been garbage.

Wanted to share a quick and dirty chart that I've been using to gauge buy/sell triggers for my core holdings.

I've create a high/low market cap scenario in 2025 for TSLA, extrapolated a share price, and literally drew a line from Jan1 2025 all the way down to the last major dip to $178. The three scenarios are as follows:

436bn market cap in 2025 - share price of $2,800 (red line)
624bn market cap in 2025 - share price of $4,000 (blue line)
1092bn market cap in 2025 - share price of $7,000 (green line)

View attachment 225796

Essentially, if the thesis is that Tesla will be x $s in market cap in 2025, it would very loosely (like super loosely) follow a path all the way to that market valuation. This enables me to get a decent sense of where the stock lives in relation to those targets. If it crosses the red line, it suggest that I should add to my core holdings. If it's anywhere between the red line and green line, I should ride along with it and use LEAPS to try and play the swings. If it passes the green line, I should sell a portion (or the entire) set of holdings.

This is about as simple and stupid as it gets, but for the long game I think it gives me a solid point of reference to understand if the stock price jives with Tesla's path to world domination, and if an action should be taken based on said perception.

NOT AN ADVICE.

I like this strategy, except for this: You're assuming no more equity raises, which I think is reasonable, but also no stock buybacks in the next eight years, which I believe is unreasonable.

Tesla is closer to Apple's I-have-too-much-money-and-I-don't-know-what-to-do-with-it problem than most realize. It's not in 2018, 2019, or 2020, but it's closer than you'd think.

" but but but .... what's happening .... it's not supposed to keep going up!"

I backed up the truck on Sept 440's and June 350's yesterday, and being up 50-60% in a day, decided I'd be clever and sell 2/3rds around 11am, to buy back next week.

Now I'm sitting here hoping for a repeat of last quarter's Monday after so I can reload closer to $300. That feels weird.

Reactions: sunhelm
I like this strategy, except for this: You're assuming no more equity raises, which I think is reasonable, but also no stock buybacks in the next eight years, which I believe is unreasonable.

Tesla is closer to Apple's I-have-too-much-money-and-I-don't-know-what-to-do-with-it problem than most realize. It's not in 2018, 2019, or 2020, but it's closer than you'd think.

Telsa will not have I-have-too-much-money-blah-blah in our lifetimes because Elon wont stop at cars. Planes, trains, tunnels with electric sleds, Solar roads, solar windows, you know all the stuff that will seem obvious when you are installing your new Solar driveway.

Yep - whenever these events appear, all I need to do is bring the 2025 targets up/down to what the new equivalent would be and the trend will fall in line.

Yep - whenever these events appear, all I need to do is bring the 2025 targets up/down to what the new equivalent would be and the trend will fall in line.

sure that'd work in terms of adjusting your weighting to TSLA, but what happens if TSLA starts a short squeeze, closes just above your upper limit, you sell all shares, then it triples due to short squeeze? After last earnings report, I think the likelihood of a short squeeze in 2017 has increased (although still not highly probable).

I have a similar strategy but it's one guided by valuation rather than price level, and one main difference: I don't expect to lower my allocation below 50% at any point, unless stock goes to $500+ billion market cap in the next three years, which is possible but unlikely.

I strongly believe that a number of factors (including FUD spread by shorts) have converged to make TSLA a unique opportunity for the next decade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.