Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol BTW I love the way this guy disagrees with all my posts. Free entertainment for me and everyone else on this thread. This world would be a very dull place indeed if there were not any naysayers and TSLA stock would not be shooting to Mars if there were no shorts
What I find even more hilarious is you're both bullish TSLA. :rolleyes:;)

While every one says Short Squeeze is imminent, is any one giving any thought to how to protect one self from downturn? Anyone buying puts as insurance?
(I still remember the high expectations for Model X launch on like Oct 28th 2015 .. - this time based on everything that has been said it should be different, but shouldn't we Longs be prepared for that as well?) - advice anyone?

I expect oil prices to start moving up from here. Feel free to follow ValueAnalyst1 on twitter for more on this.

Although Tesla would do well even in low oil price environment, higher oil prices are bullish for TSLA and may ignite the short squeeze.

Regardless, I am sticking with stock only with a conservative amount of margin.

• Disagree
Reactions: everman and DaveT
While every one says Short Squeeze is imminent, is any one giving any thought to how to protect one self from downturn? Anyone buying puts as insurance?
(I still remember the high expectations for Model X launch on like Oct 28th 2015 .. - this time based on everything that has been said it should be different, but shouldn't we Longs be prepared for that as well?) - advice anyone?

If you're concerned about that, may be less costly to lighten your position rather than buying put options.

I'm not a tax expert, but hedging does not really allow you to avoid short-term gain tax treatment either as far as I know, but maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

I personally am not concerned about a stock price downturn or a recession at this time, especially since I only own stock and I can weather a downturn easily. Recession maybe in 2018 though.

Someone earlier today posted the video of a presentation in which the presenter at the end says Apple's supplier has 100+ engineers working on similar research. "It's a race" he says.

The presenter was Dahn. It was PhDs not just engineers. It was "like 300" which of course is "100+. The company was ATL in China.
At about 1:06 of

Dahn's candor (ie. his expertise is in NMC and he is now researching NCA for Tesla) and discretion (no commercial unauthorized disclosures) are refreshing.

I've done this the last two ER. I let the puts execute after the 2016 Q4 ER. Sold between 270-280. I got lucky the following Monday when SP hit low 240s and bought back in. 2017 Q1 ER I also bought puts as "insurance." I sold them the day after. I didn't expect the price to drop like it did, so I didn't expect it to last. Probably lucky again. I treat these puts as insurance only, so I don't expect a return. I fund these put purchases by selling covered calls and rolling them every week if they are in the money. I learned how to roll them over from folks here. Prior to that, I was letting them exercise and then buying back in (not the best strategy). Gains from short term option trades have gone into buying more stock and OTM 2016 LEAPs.

The presenter was Dahn. It was PhDs not just engineers. It was "like 300" which of course is "100+. The company was ATL in China.
At about 1:06 of

Dahn's candor (ie. his expertise is in NMC and he is now researching NCA for Tesla) and discretion (no commercial unauthorized disclosures) are refreshing.
No, his expertise is degradation of lithium ion battery cells.

Wait for a(nother) dip, and buy a LEAP to replace those shares. Wait for it to go up, sell, bam - trading shares!

I just did that in a retirement account actually. Wanted to write a weekly call, but only had 95 shares in the account, so I replaced the shares with a couple LEAPS after ER, and would have enough now, if I could get myself to sell those LEAPs...

I've only been in this game for 14 months, or so (however I was at least smart enough to buy the majority of my position in the big dip last February), so without Googling, I don't even know what a LEAP is :oops: Right now I'm buy & hold, buy and hold - which is neither a bad strategy, methinks :)

(I still remember the high expectations for Model X launch on like Oct 28th 2015 .. - this time based on everything that has been said it should be different,
but shouldn't we Longs be prepared for that as well?) - advice anyone?
I believe that the absolute worst case is a three month delay, which if you are holding shares or 2019 leaps at a strike price under about $350 are very safe.

It's all about timing and right now unless we have a macro problem, like trump starting a war with North Korea (which unfortunately is not something we can rule out ) I believe it makes more sense if you are holding shares, to add some J2019 leaps to maximize your upside.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
I've done this the last two ER. I let the puts execute after the 2016 Q4 ER. Sold between 270-280. I got lucky the following Monday when SP hit low 240s and bought back in. 2017 Q1 ER I also bought puts as "insurance." I sold them the day after. I didn't expect the price to drop like it did, so I didn't expect it to last. Probably lucky again. I treat these puts as insurance only, so I don't expect a return. I fund these put purchases by selling covered calls and rolling them every week if they are in the money. I learned how to roll them over from folks here. Prior to that, I was letting them exercise and then buying back in (not the best strategy). Gains from short term option trades have gone into buying more stock and OTM 2016 LEAPs.
Thanks this is kinda the strategy I too want to employ.

Something irrelevant to this post. Anyone here owns Solaredge (SEDG) shares? They are in the solar inverter, power optimizing and tracking business, higher margins than the actual solar panel producers such as First Solar. They collaborate with Tesla solar businesses. I find it a gem with huge potential. Want to here what the pros here think of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.