Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, its the indexes too. Still, maybe macro news.

Really just seems like Friday OpEx final hour movement stuff without much real reason to me.

Looks like some more GOP senators are scoffing at current version of Trumpcare, but no idea if that matters to this market or not. I mean, my solar stocks look like rock stars because some fools think Trump's wall will A) actually happen and B) be covered in solar panels. Takes all kinds to make a market, I guess.

A fifth Republican senator says he will not support Senate Obamacare replacement in current form

Reactions: madodel
What do sustainable mean? Nothing lasts forever. How long will the FSD + Long range EV + SuperCharger network lead last? Long enough to put a dozen companies out of business maybe? Nothing lasts forever, the market will adjust. But Waymo is not competition because they dont make EVs and any EV company that uses Waymo will make Waymo rich while over paying for the hardware/software. Every car market on the planet is making autonomous cars and we are wondering if Tesla has a lead? Maybe Lucid is in the lead or maybe Faraday Future. This is mind boggling how we, who are closer then most to the EV market, cant even see how feckless the competition is at this point. I fully believe competition will be something that exists in the future, but to think they will somehow magically pass Tesla in everything they are doing when its clear most are not even seriously investing is crazy. Intel should have never bought Mobileye, what the heck are they going to do what that, is Intel making a car? Intel sells millions of chips and many are very expensive. They want to buy a company to build a cheap chip and to whom? everyone is working on their own system. Lets count... Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford, Nissan, Audi, BMW.. Chrysler with Waymo. Then there are other OEMs like Bosch. Who are they going to sell this tech to? Unless they are assuming they will all fail and dump their own internal projects and buy their stuff. The only solution I see as vaiable is the one from the company who is making EVs because autonomous without EV is like tits on a bull, pointless.

I fully agree with this thesis. There just is still no *credible* competition (meaning $billions committed by another player) for Tesla's "total package" of integrated products and solutions, and the moat gets wider every passing day.

This is actually not what Elon wanted, but what is temporarily bad for accelerating adoption of sustainable EV transport by other companies is also temporarily amazing for our portfolios.

Like Apple's App store is not a sustainable advantage? If Tesla can quickly capture a significant market share before everyone else catch on with the low-cost FSD without LiDAR, they may have a shot in replicating Apple's app store dominance.

Would you agree that it is a lot more difficult to switch all of our content from iOS environment to Android

vs.

say, change from using UBER to Lyft?

Reactions: neroden
I love it when SpaceX says "We do not expect to land this rocket because its going to be coming in really fast and we need to do a 3 rocket burn to slow it down and then they stick the landing." Its almost like the impossible is common place there. its nutz and I love it.
I dunno if i would call that a 'stuck' landing. Yeah, B1029 is still in one piece, but the deck of OCISLY looks like a large burn mark covering a big area, and the booster is way off center and leaning hard. Looks like it hit the deck hard and skidded.

Reactions: zdriver and neroden
I dunno if i would call that a 'stuck' landing. Yeah, B1029 is still in one piece, but the deck of OCISLY looks like a large burn mark covering a big area, and the booster is way off center and leaning hard. Looks like it hit the deck hard and skidded.

I think the apparent leaning is just due to it being off-center of a camera with an ultra-wide lens.

• Funny
Reactions: TMSE

upload_2017-6-23_12-37-28.png

Elon said it was a hard landing and crushed the buffer that they have in there for hard landings, but the rocket is still reusable. They will need to replace the crush zone but he stated it takes a couple of hours.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Elon said it was a hard landing and crushed the buffer that they have in there for hard landings, but the rocket is still reusable. They will need to replace the crush zone but he stated it takes a couple of hours.
I didn't mean to suggest it wouldn't still be reusable. That crush core is designed for that purpose. Just that characterizing that landing as 'stuck' is... dubious at best. It barely landed intact.

I didn't mean to suggest it wouldn't still be reusable. That crush core is designed for that purpose. Just that characterizing that landing as 'stuck' is... dubious at best. It barely landed intact.

Ok.. so 8.0 instead of a 10.0.. Its a damn 200ft rocket blazing back to earth and landing on a postage stamp when they were certain it would fail. To me, that's sticking the landing.

You can have a tough landing. But when the alternative is falling over, this is a landing...not a barely landing intact.
Thats like saying someone is barely pregnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.