Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be down to the removal of S60 from line-up but looking over at the google spreadsheets I am currently seeing VIN issuance of 1300 MS per week. When you add in the increasing MX sales that Tesla just reported, I would expect 2300-2400 cars are being produced weekly at the factory which isn't suggestive of a strong osborne effect taking hold.
Sure, but they're worried about "Osborning" Q3. Possibly Q2, but particularly Q3 after Model 3 is in customers' hands (but still has a 15-month waiting list)

• Informative
Reactions: TrendTrader007
Never easy to predict. Futures down (not by a great deal to be honest) but oil surged on the news. TSLA has been known to track oil in the past.

Yes Tesla usually tracks oil, but we are currently at the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of stock price. Oil is at near bottom prices while Tesla is at the top. Overall this should be a net negative in the near term for the market imo. This can take 1-3 weeks for the economy to decide whether the strike will escalate to something bigger. Watch for rhetoric coming from the superpowers: US, Russia, China in the coming days. Good thing the weekend is here.

Yes Tesla usually tracks oil, but we are currently at the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of stock price. Oil is at near bottom prices while Tesla is at the top. Overall this should be a net negative in the near term for the market imo. This can take 1-3 weeks for the economy to decide whether the strike will escalate to something bigger. Watch for rhetoric coming from the superpowers: US, Russia, China in the coming days. Good thing the weekend is here.
You may well be right.
I might quibble with oil being at near bottom prices though.
From what I have read 100 buck a barrel oil days are long gone. Most oil producing nations would probably be ecstatic if it got into the 60 dollar range.

You may well be right.
I might quibble with oil being at near bottom prices though.
From what I have read 100 buck a barrel oil days are long gone. Most oil producing nations would probably be ecstatic if it got into the 60 dollar range.

Yea this is why I think the Syria strike won't be a net positive for Tesla bc oil prices likely won't sky rocket. We can also factor in summer months being high demand for oil, but that's still 2-3 months out. Unless oil gets to $75 plus per barrel I can't see it being net positive for Tesla at current ATH, especially when the Russians and Chinese are backing Assad and the US is meddling in that region in order to send a statement, perhaps to N. Korea as well..

Historically, whenever Tesla goes on a momentum like this, it either goes much higher or lower based upon sentiment and news. Right now, I'm sensing that a slight trigger can set off the stock in any direction, this is perhaps the trigger that will frighten the market? It's best to unload a few percentage in case things escalate over the weekend.

Reactions: neroden
Yea this is why I think the Syria strike won't be a net positive for Tesla bc oil prices likely won't sky rocket. We can also factor in summer months being high demand for oil, but that's still 2-3 months out. Unless oil gets to $75 plus per barrel I can't see it being net positive for Tesla at current ATH, especially when the Russians and Chinese are backing Assad and the US is meddling in that region in order to send a statement, perhaps to N. Korea as well..

Historically, whenever Tesla goes on a momentum like this, it either goes much higher or lower based upon sentiment and news. Right now, I'm sensing that a slight trigger can set off the stock in any direction, this is perhaps the trigger that will frighten the market? It's best to unload a few percentage in case things escalate over the weekend.
Scary times...on another note wasn't there suppose to be an announcement soon by Elon Musk? Wouldn't there be a big bump if Tesla got the storage contract to Australia?

Reactions: madodel
markets turning, tsla pushing (altho relatively low volume). wouldnt be surprised if we go a few $ higher today. of course i could be completely wrong in 5 minutes.
$300.82, so you were not wrong at five minutes:D
I'm guessing the day will be relatively kind to TSLA but volumes will not be high and global events are dramatic, so oddities are highly probable.

Yes, nice to see this decoupling and relative strength today

Nice consolidation this week around $300 this week.
Won't be surprising to see a move to higher levels next week

Trying to come up with a plan for ER - my gut tells me we'll be somewhere around the $325s. I'm trying my hardest to deduce if positive earnings is a reality for Q1. If so I think we start seeing a very strong move towards $400 in a relatively short amount of time. Otherwise I expect relatively healthy sell-off and profit taking.

A close over 300 has to be disconcerting for the shorts especially over the weekend. TSLA likes to pop on Monday mornings. A lot of traders know that.

Ya. And I can't imagine many will open a new short into the close today.
If anything, makes sense to cover and avoid any gap up on Monday.

I understand that Tesla usually trades opposite of oil. But i dont get why. Wouldnt higher oil prices mean more expensive gas? I guess it could mean higher dollar value, which can be bad for an auto exporter like Tesla. But long term, lower cafe standards and higher oil prices should help drive people to Solar/EVs.

Edit: One issue that solar has is that the better it gets, the worse it gets. Meaning, Solar is helping drive down nat gas prices which makes the value of the solar less and forces the solar to keep getting better. I think this is a great effect, but it can make it hard for solar providers. If Oil/nat gas goes up that should help solar affordability.

Status
Not open for further replies.