Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought this was interesting: iPhone was released on June 29, 2007; from June 22-June 29; stock decreased by ~1%... by July 6 AAPL was up 8%; 3 week later, AAPL was up 18% since 6/29, AAPL up ~60% for six months following iphone release until global financial crisis brought everythign down...one difference is TSLA is posting earnings week after M3 release... Earnings will be negative as they missed on Q2 deliveries; but reiteration by Musk that everything on track, ramp looking good could be positive catalyst.

Thought this was interesting: iPhone was released on June 29, 2007; from June 22-June 29; stock decreased by ~1%... by July 6 AAPL was up 8%; 3 week later, AAPL was up 18% since 6/29, AAPL up ~60% for six months following iphone release until global financial crisis brought everythign down...one difference is TSLA is posting earnings week after M3 release... Earnings will be negative as they missed on Q2 deliveries; but reiteration by Musk that everything on track, ramp looking good could be positive catalyst.

The shorts will do their usual hyperventilating routine with the Q2 report, but if Elon says model 3 ramp is going well, releases updated pre-order numbers and notes that they are growing, ect. How does the market react? It seems like there is a good chance that all the public attention the model 3 will get during the launch could lead to another 100K+ pre-orders. Kind of hard to image the stock selling off much in that situation. Also, from reading the AP2 update threads, if feels like with the latest update the EAP is finally turning a corner and the majority are pretty happy with it now, at least on highways.

Last edited:
Expectations are widely communicated as 215 miles. Articles posting otherwise are few are far between, that is indeed one potential surprise.

Anybody think the new directors could have anything to do with exposure on this event?
Tesla's web site still says 215. But of course nothing about the larger pack. Who knows, maybe they'll surprise us on the range of the base model.

It seems for those with this 'poor track record', you should make your usual predictions and then bet against them to improve your odds.
1. I've been improving my strategy.
2. I can't find the chart yet, but I have a book about investing betting on ER's using options and the author pointed out that there was a period of two or three years with Apple when if you bought options 4-8 weeks in advance (I don't remember exactly) and sold them about two weeks after you made money every time but three times. You could have set that up to buy and sell automatically and made huge profits. In addition if you had timed your sales on the remaining three you could have reduced the losses to once!

I believe that TSLA is going to go through a phase or phases, starting relatively soon, similar to Apple.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Turing
It is also worth pointing out that the shorts and permabears have all assumed that Elon's lack of Model 3 pre-order updates is because the number has fallen over the last 12 months. Without considering that Elon wants to reduce osborne effect by not giving the media reasons to talk about the model 3 before it is ready for sales instead of the s/x that they currently sell. And he doesn't want to telegraph demand to competition anymore than he originally had to in order to get panasonic and other suppliers on board with high volume model 3 supply chain prep.

A specific GF site announcement during the CC seems unlikely to me. Wouldn't the relevant local officials want to be in on the announcement? Like the SA premier during the recent battery contract announcement.

Yes, but without making an announcement Elon could make an announcement that there is going to be an announcement. He's done that before.

I'm willing to take a shot.

Not an advice !
My guess is $380-$410 in the first week of August. I also think a big dip willl happen between mid August and October. SP about $330.

I think the reveal will have enough of a positive surprise on prices to trigger a bump, if they are also positive on production. If they have produced ~30-40 I think that will be considered a win.

I also have a pretty poor track record for ER's effect on the SP.
Here's mine: Musk learned from the weak MX reveal. This will not be anything like that. I believe the reveal on Friday will moderately exceed the expectations of the market. I think the stock will rise throughout the week as attention focuses on Tesla. Q2 financials will be disappointing, as expected. I don't believe there is anything there that will exceed or underwhelm the market expectations. I believe guidance regarding the M3 ramp and 2H financials will be inline with expectations at this point, again not substantially exceeding or disappointing the market's expectations. I don't think the M3 ramp is far enough along for Tesla to be able to accurately provide any additional detailed guidance than what they already have.

If the stock rises enough this week through the M3 reveal then I think there is a higher likelihood of some negative effect from the ER. If it only rises moderately then I think the ER will have very little effect. Based on this perspective, I think adding a bit of extra leverage early this week is a good idea. Reducing that leverage the following week will depend upon the movement of the stock price this week.

Haven't seen this reported here:

Prices for X in Germany were reduced about 5% last night.

Possible reasons:
- at the same time the number of options was dramatically reduced (more bundling), e.g. the sound and the winter options are now included in the tech package
- ramping up the number of sales saves money for Tesla, part of which they return to their customers
But I think the main reason is
- adjusting prices to the weak $, Euro gained about 5% against the $, so this alone would explain it

One thing Musk does for sure, is he never does 'Steve Jobs'. If anything he will deliver like 22 cars and give some reason for where the other 8 are stuck. I mean really, for these many years we have been following Musk and Tesla, tell me one instance when Musk exceeded expectations. <snip>.

Well, for starters Tesla exceeded expectations by delivering the first Model 3 in July 2017, which Elon said was "impossible." Tesla Motors, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) - Tesla Q1'16 Earnings Conference Call: Full Transcript

That having been said, I am not expecting any major "news" at the delivery event -- just showing off a beautiful, amazing car to 30 very happy people and a lot of positive buzz around the car. If there is some extra sweetener that would be great but IMO just pulling off initial deliveries in July 2017 is an incredible accomplishment that exceeded the expectations of almost everyone -- including those who were very optimistic about the Model 3 production timeline.

Here's my plan going into the final Model 3 reveal and Q2 ER.

-I bought one 8/11 350C option in anticipation that SP will increase leading up to July 28
-I also expect the final reveal/delivery event to be a positive catalyst SP driven primarily by the official range of the Model 3, which will be significantly better than 215mi.
-The day of the earnings call I will sell some call options (about 4 weeks out) and purchase either 8/4 or 8/11 OTM or NTM puts as short term SP volatility insurance. This has been successful the last two earnings reports for me. For the Q4 2016 earnings call, I bought four puts, and I let three of them exercise between 270 and 280. I then bought back in the following Monday in the low 240s. For the Q1 earnings call, I sold all the puts I purchased the day after the call when the SP dropped. I didn't think it was going to last.

Just sharing what has worked for me in the past. Not a predictor of future results, not advice, blah blah, <insert favorite disclaimer>

Well, for starters Tesla exceeded expectations by delivering the first Model 3 in July 2017, which Elon said was "impossible." Tesla Motors, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) - Tesla Q1'16 Earnings Conference Call: Full Transcript

That having been said, I am not expecting any major "news" at the delivery event -- just showing off a beautiful, amazing car to 30 very happy people and a lot of positive buzz around the car. If there is some extra sweetener that would be great but IMO just pulling off initial deliveries in July 2017 is an incredible accomplishment that exceeded the expectations of almost everyone -- including those who were very optimistic about the Model 3 production timeline.

If you do a ctrl-f and look for July in that transcript, you will see that Musk was specifically talking about "volume production". 30 cars by no means is volume production.

In one of the subsequent ERs, Musk talked about supplier timetable on volumes. Then ultimately recently released actual delivery targets on Twitter, which were roughly half the earlier supplier numbers. The SP tanked the day after. It's probably not fair to say Tesla missed timelines because the timelines were always fuzzy to begin with. Moreover the facts are yet to be known as it only counts once Tesla achieves volume production.

So it's fair to say Tesla didn't exceed expectations "yet".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.