Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be better if everyone did the opposite, just like most people already do? Doesn´t it make sense to question your own beliefs constantly? It think we should be thankful for people playing the devil´s advocate in a non offensive, informative way. I learn much more from the discussions coming out of that than from the constand background chatter that makes up too much of this forum IMHO.

It would. I am all for it.

On the contrary. Autopilot is a prime example of my theory : that Tesla's lead is vanishing. It's now August 2017 and AP2 is (depending on who you ask) about as good, or not even as good as AP1 was 12-15 months ago. Whatever lead Tesla has on AP over other manufacturers, it is 12-15 months shorter than the lead it had last year. And, given how long it took to replicate functionality for AP2, it is very plausible that the heavy lifting to get AP1 working was done by MobilEye software and not Tesla. But if so, that heavy lifting was also available to other manufacturers that work with MobilEye. So why didn't they release something similar to Autopilot then? Well, that is my second theory : Tesla has the advantage of a CEO that is willing to take a risk. Elon Musk will push something to the market were traditional manufacters tremble in their boots. Tesla's lead back in 2014 when they showed AP1 for the first time may not so much have been a technological lead but rather a lead in leadership. Elon Musk took MobilEye's offering and said we will use it to turn your steering wheel, whereas other manufacturers took that technology and used it to draw traffic lanes on your dashboard in green/yellow/red. Luckily that last lead, Tesla still has, but technologically, the most logical conclusion is that it is reducing.
So you're saying that it took Tesla 12-15 months to catch up to Mobileye's 10 years of heavy lifting, and it's all credit to Elon Musk, who is now spending most of his time with the FSD team. Sounds good to me.

Edit:

Another way to look at this lead that you're mentioning is that, when Tesla lost AP1 HW after the Mobileye break up, they potentially fell 10 years behind, and it took them 12-15 months to catch back up, instead of the 3-6 months that Elon optimistically predicted. But still they're progressing 8-10X faster than Mobileye. You can't judge the lead as a static snapshot, you have to look at the rate of improvement also.

Last edited:
Maybe your evaluation of my point of view is more telling of your own biases than of mine? I certainly have no extreme pessimism surrounding Tesla. For example, I am on record here for predicting over 30k deliveries this quarter. I am on record as well for stating that Tesla has a lead in autonomy research. But merely stating that this lead is not as large as it was in 2015 is now enough to be branded an 'extreme pessimist'?

I do not take this "branding" as you put it lightly, but unfortunately, imo, you exhibit it all the time. Look no furhter than discussion about Tesla using proceeds from bond issue to retire higher interest Solar City debt.

Looking forward to be wrong about autonomy related Tesla things for once. I will be the first to give them praise.

Duly noted. Bookmarking this post and will be glad to see your praise when time comes.

But in the interest of honestly : what (hypothetical) evolution would make you question Tesla's lead? When would you start to question internal progress?

When competitors over a sudden go quiet, seizing the "look, we are better" propaganda will make me weary...

Another sign would be somebody submitting system deployed on *production* car (sans appendages) for NHTSA Level 3 approval **before** Tesla does the same. Not sure if this is possible at this point...

Reactions: MitchJi and EinSV
So you're saying that it took Tesla 12-15 months to catch up to Mobileye's 10 years of heavy lifting,

It took them 12-15 months to catch up to the state of MobilEye 2 years ago. Obviously that is not where MobilEye stands today. That it originally took 10 years for MobilEye to get to AP1 says absolutely nothing about the quality of the effort done to replicate it, especially in this field. Progress is so incredibly swift (in terms of publicly and privately distributed research, hardware progress, available proprietary and open source code, funding, Silicon Valley and public interest etc) that what took a team of PhD's just 5 years ago can be done by a motivated junior high schooler today (figure of speech, you get what I mean).

and it's all credit to Elon Musk, who is now spending most of his time with the FSD team. Sounds good to me.

To me, the credit for Elon Musk is that he is the guy who made the executive decision : yes, we ship it. It required intimate knowledge and understanding of what his team wass doing and where they were and yet is was still an enormous gamble. Typically, to more you know, the more you're biased to overprudence. Elon is able to see through that. In this field, that's unique.

I do not take this "branding" as you put it lightly, but unfortunately, imo, you exhibit it all the time. Look no furhter than discussion about Tesla using proceeds from bond issue to retire higher interest Solar City debt.

Duly noted. Bookmarking this post and will be glad to see your praise when time comes.

When competitors over a sudden go quiet, seizing the "look, we are better" propaganda will make me weary...

Another sign would be somebody submitting system deployed on *production* car (sans appendages) for NHTSA Level 3 approval **before** Tesla does the same. Not sure if this is possible at this point...
I actually have a gut feeling that Tesla is in quiet because they can afford to be. They needed the original AP1 to drive demand, they needed to drum up AP2 to keep up the "M3 reveal Pt2" promise, and also get in front of the Mobileye breakup. They don't need to do any of that right now, so why show your hand? As you said, it would worry you if any of the competitors suddenly go quiet. Well, Tesla is quiet now...

Yep, that was a mistake and I acknowledged it as soon as read @neroden 's reply to set me straight. It was not my first mistake here and it will certainly not be my last. What was your last mistake?

I am not afraid of admitting I was wrong. See above. If by year end, Tesla is showing a nice coast-to-coast fully autonomous drive starting at SF city hall and ending at the NYC public library, I will be the first to acknowledge I was wrong. But how much time without progress will it take before you accept that maybe that video from November last year was not indicative of Tesla's state of FSD back then?

Sorry, I don't understand?

Fair enough. I also actually think that it is more likely that Tesla is first, so not really a risky proposition though.

Yep, that was a mistake and I acknowledged it as soon as read @neroden 's reply to set me straight. It was not my first mistake here and it will certainly not be my last. What was your last mistake?

Well, the problem, imo, is not the mistake, although assuming the worst and Tesla being stupid is infromative. The problem that even in admitting the mistake, you still seemingly maintained your conclusion that Tesla goofed up with this one... I am not making stuff up. The problem is not in mistakes, the problem, imo, is in clearly exhibited bias.

• Love
Reactions: MitchJi
Caps will not make him understand. Nothing will. I just put myusername as first and only on my ignore list and would suggest everyone to do the same. He's obviously trolling, and he's not worth the effort.

Agreed. This thread is glorious with pure trolls on ignore, which I have done for years now. If I want to scan the blatherings of #YOLOTESLATROLLBOI4LYFE type posts for some masochistic reason, I can simply visit Seeking Mediocrity anytime. I come here for honest discourse, and I'm not afraid to take blind Tesla cheerleaders down a peg, either. We've done a pretty good job staying level-headed around here.

So anyway yeah, use the Ignore feature, and profit.

I actually have a gut feeling that Tesla is in quiet because they can afford to be. They needed the original AP1 to drive demand, they needed to drum up AP2 to keep up the "M3 reveal Pt2" promise, and also get in front of the Mobileye breakup. They don't need to do any of that right now, so why show your hand? As you said, it would worry you if any of the competitors suddenly go quiet. Well, Tesla is quiet now...
On the most recent call Elon said that he has been driving the most recent AP versions and he said that it's very impressive.

I believe that on the same call he said that the schedule for the end-of-year demonstration might (or probably?) will slip.

When I hear Elon say that he's very pleased with the results and I read the skeptical posts I just laugh, remembering the video of the used rocket landing on the barge in the ocean. We need a ludicrous feedback button.

That also applies to people who are concerned with Tesla hitting 5k M3's per week by the end of the year, or 10k by 2018, 2018 or 25% margins. He said that he is extremely confident about all three. It's an opportunity for us to make huge profits from "insider information" compared to the market by merely believing Elon's ER call statements!

That is a decent beginning to an explanation for why I'm extremely confident that buying J19 LEAPS is like shooting fish in a barrel, and why I'm planning after the dip to (I hope) ~$315 to put our entire portfolio, about $400k into LEAPS.

Last edited:
Reactions: D-egg-O
  • Helpful
Reactions: DurandalAI
One interesting data point on FSD, it seems that there was some form of house-cleaning that happened in June around Andrej Karpathy hire. In an Feb 2016 article I dug up on Tesla's autonomous team, it highlighted 4 engineers, Alexander Mott, Berta Rodriguez-Hervas, Minwoo Park, and Hae-Jong Seo. All 4 left Tesla in June '17, Mott is at DeepMind, and Rodriguez-Hervas, Park and Seo are at NVidia. The article also mentioned 4 other engineers, Glenn Elliott, Hyunggi Cho, Frank Havlak, and Mark McClelland, Elliott and Cho left in Dec '16 and Jen'17 coincided with Chris Lettner hiring, Havlak and McClelland are still with Tesla.

There are a number of you I would like to meet in person because reading your comments doesn't seem to do justice to the personality types I have pictured in my head. :)

Hard to tell which of us has a personality defect.:D

Edit: Like poetry, in general, a first operative principle of physics (aesthetics too) is symmetry. Stolen from Hegel's first law, the unity of opposites, which he stole from the Chinese. It helps, too, to have a wife born in Asia (1/4 Chinese) who definitely has me by the y***y*** at first blush for cosmetic reasons, now as a cane-like correction for fuddy-fuddyiness and just plain ordinary superior intelligence combined with what jhm calls "kindly recognition of vulnerabilities."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.