Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I was lucky enough to buy 10 Dec 15 330's lottery tickets last week (at 65 cents).

I have never had a win on lottery tickets before so I have a question.

I am planning on waiting till friday. Should I start cashing out friday morning or how late in the day is it safe to do it ?
If its 3:45 PM est and I close at market can it fail to go through ?
Yay :D!

If you wait it will definitely go through if you sell at the market.

You can probably set up the sale to be “sell at the market at the close “ but you should check with your broker. TD automatically buys shares shares with options expiring ITM. So make sure that you can do what you want to do.

But I would not do that unless you believe that the SP will be at its highest level at the close on Friday. For example it’s a triple witching expiration day and max-pain might impact the prices.

no. it's real. how much revenue is it is what I asked. so how much is it?
OK, myusername, thanks for admitting that you were totally wrong when claiming that Powerpack was "not real".

Regarding revenue, the revenue from Powerpacks is $250/kwh (the advertised bulk price) times *as much as they can manufacture*; they are blatantly production-limited. Do I currently know what the bottlenecks are or how fast they can ramp up? I do not. If there is a major delay in ramp-up of more than two years, could they lose market share? Yes, but in the meantime, everyone else (all in China) is having trouble ramping up to meet demand too. It seems to be easier to ramp up Powerpack than to ramp up cars... fewer parts, less service. Demand is monumental, though the reasons for this are a whole 'nother essay.

I'm guessing 10% gross margins on the business (obviously Musk wants higher margins) and if they come anywhere close to the planned Gigafactory production levels by 2020, it still comes out to a lot of money. You can do the math yourself and run different models based on different assumptions. Treating it as "zero" is nonsense.

• Informative
Reactions: 2virgule5
OK, myusername, thanks for admitting that you were totally wrong when claiming that Powerpack was "not real".

Regarding revenue, the revenue from Powerpacks is $250/kwh (the advertised bulk price) times *as much as they can manufacture*; they are blatantly production-limited. Do I currently know what the bottlenecks are or how fast they can ramp up? I do not. If there is a major delay in ramp-up of more than two years, could they lose market share? Yes, but in the meantime, everyone else (all in China) is having trouble ramping up to meet demand too. It seems to be easier to ramp up Powerpack than to ramp up cars... fewer parts, less service. Demand is monumental, though the reasons for this are a whole 'nother essay.

I'm guessing 10% gross margins on the business (obviously Musk wants higher margins) and if they come anywhere close to the planned Gigafactory production levels by 2020, it still comes out to a lot of money. You can do the math yourself and run different models based on different assumptions. Treating it as "zero" is nonsense.
what I am saying is that the PowerPack and PowerWall or Tesla Energy is not a real business at this time. it does not generate revenue of any significance. we were told 2.5 years ago that it would produce GREATER THAN 2 BILLION in 2017.

and you are calling this "production limited"?... that's not what 2.5 years late equates to. it equates to -- it was an idea -- the stock was dropping and after they made the declaration of Tesla Energy as a new business line, the stock shot up again that then lead to a capital raise 3 months later.

and here we are... no Tesla Energy revenues to speak of, an elevated stock and a company that would not have been able to continue without the story that was told 2.5 years ago.

and you're hammering on me because why?... these are FACTS... what I just stated is exactly how it went down. so what is your argument exactly?

let's not talk about rockets... that has nothing to do with Tesla.

so let's talk about cars... and that's exactly what I said above about 10 posts ago... what OTHER THAN the MS and MX has Tesla done that qualifies them to be 10 companies in 1 as @neroden suggested above?

my entire point is that Tesla is an auto company... great... i think we finally agree on something @Reciprocity .

It matters because its the same guy making the promises. It also matters because Elon had never launched a rocket or worked in the aerospace industry before founding SpaceX. It matters because Elon and his companies are whatever he wants them to be because he has the force of will to make it happen. Part of the Elon process it over promise. Think about it from this point.. If you are the hottest engineer in a hot industry, do you want to work for the moon shot company or tried and true industrial company. The more I think about it, the over promising is really just a recruiting tool. At the end of the day, Tesla is nothing without the people who work there. Really, Tesla is nothing without Elon inspiring/challenging them and that includes us investors. There are many people on this forum that never made a nickle until investing in Tesla and that is why you are right and it is a story stock as you like to call it. The problem with your theory, is that its a true story. Its one of the amazing true stories that actually is amazing and awe inspiring. I know you will not be convinced because you are either insanely stubborn, dumb (which I know you are not) or a paid shill. I can see the first one.. but more then likely the last, because you are clearly not dumb.

I would never suggest someone to go out and try to have a company that is completely vertically integrated from Energy production, storage to consumption, I would advise them to focus on one thing that dominate it. In this case, I would have been wrong. No one else was going to do it if Tesla didnt and they would fail without all the pieces in place. Elon couldnt let Solar city fail because he needs a few terawatts of solar panels/tiles to meet his goals. Elon couldnt for go building the gigafactory because its required to secure the battery supplies and Solar has one huge weakness, it doesnt work in the dark. If you own an Electric car, your electric bill goes through the roof, I think mine would have doubled, but I bought solar instead. This stuff is all really simple when you think about it. I dont need a powerwall because I have net metering but it certainly would have been an option if I didnt.

let's not talk about rockets... that has nothing to do with Tesla.

so let's talk about cars... and that's exactly what I said above about 10 posts ago... what OTHER THAN the MS and MX has Tesla done that qualifies them to be 10 companies in 1 as @neroden suggested above?

my entire point is that Tesla is an auto company... great... i think we finally agree on something @Reciprocity .
Tesla isn't priced as 10 companies in 1. If it were, the price would be well into the thousands. It is priced on what they have achieved plus the weighted probability expectations of what they will achieve. And if Tesla is to be valued as 10 companies in q then investors are not yet putting a high probability on success.

It matters because its the same guy making the promises. It also matters because Elon had never launched a rocket or worked in the aerospace industry before founding SpaceX. It matters because Elon and his companies are whatever he wants them to be because he has the force of will to make it happen. Part of the Elon process it over promise. Think about it from this point.. If you are the hottest engineer in a hot industry, do you want to work for the moon shot company or tried and true industrial company. The more I think about it, the over promising is really just a recruiting tool. At the end of the day, Tesla is nothing without the people who work there. Really, Tesla is nothing without Elon inspiring/challenging them and that includes us investors. There are many people on this forum that never made a nickle until investing in Tesla and that is why you are right and it is a story stock as you like to call it. The problem with your theory, is that its a true story. Its one of the amazing true stories that actually is amazing and awe inspiring. I know you will not be convinced because you are either insanely stubborn, dumb (which I know you are not) or a paid shill. I can see the first one.. but more then likely the last, because you are clearly not dumb.

I would never suggest someone to go out and try to have a company that is completely vertically integrated from Energy production, storage to consumption, I would advise them to focus on one thing that dominate it. In this case, I would have been wrong. No one else was going to do it if Tesla didnt and they would fail without all the pieces in place. Elon couldnt let Solar city fail because he needs a few terawatts of solar panels/tiles to meet his goals. Elon couldnt for go building the gigafactory because its required to secure the battery supplies and Solar has one huge weakness, it doesnt work in the dark. If you own an Electric car, your electric bill goes through the roof, I think mine would have doubled, but I bought solar instead. This stuff is all really simple when you think about it. I dont need a powerwall because I have net metering but it certainly would have been an option if I didnt.
stop talking about rockets when my entire point is that Tesla is an auto company and it will be valued like one. why would you argue this with stories about rockets?

Chanos piling on, thinks Elon will leave in 2020 so now is a good time to short more :rolleyes: REUTERS SUMMIT-Shortseller Chanos adds to Tesla bet, predicts CEO will leave | Daily Mail Online
This is interestingly close to the first anniversary of a mini-hedge fund manager and perpetual TSLA FUDster presenting his short selling case to major hedge fund managers at the Robin Hood conference when the shares closed under $190.
JPMorgan has a new short idea: Tesla shares to fall 40% in 12 months
JPMorgan has a new short idea: Tesla shares to fall 40% in 12 months

• JPMorgan advises investors to short Tesla, calling for 40 percent share downside over the next year thanks to possible share dilution and mounting competition.
    • "Tesla will face several milestones in 2018 relative to the ramping of production of the Model 3, which we believe will be difficult for the company to meet," wrote analyst Ryan Brinkman.
    • Shares of Tesla fell 0.8 percent in early trading Friday.
    • Though Tesla is up for the year, Tesla's stock has lost one-fifth of its value since a high in September, with shorts recovering $890 million of their losses, according to S3 Partners.
JPMorgan is advising investors to bet against shares of electric car-maker Tesla because the company is likely raise more capital, diluting its stock.

Also, competition from other automakers will increase, with some established auto giants looking to reap benefits from government subsidies, wrote analyst Ryan Brinkman.

"Tesla will face several milestones in 2018 relative to the ramping of production of the Model 3, which we believe will be difficult for the company to meet, particularly if its substantial miss to volume targets in 2017 are to be any guide," wrote Brinkman on Friday. "Competition for electric vehicles will increase in 2018 even as the regulatory environment in the United States may become less of a tailwind, including possible tax law changes and exhaustion of the $7,500 US federal tax credit available to buyers."

This isn't the first time Wall Street has advised investors to short Tesla. Famed short seller Jim Chanos of Kynikos Associates said last month that he had increased his short position throughout the year, telling Reuters that he expects CEO Elon Musk to walk away from the company by 2020.

By selling shares at their current price and covering the sale at a later date, investors hope to profit as the price of Tesla shares fall.

Much of the short selling stems from doubts that Tesla will be able to bring its mid-priced Model 3 to full production, having delivered far fewer sedans than expected in 2017. Though many would consider Tesla integral in pushing the auto industry toward an electric and autonomous future, concerns of competition are creeping into the conversation.

"One of our principal concerns relates to how Tesla is going to be able to earn even an industry average EBIT margin if it must compete against competitors that are pricing electric vehicles without even the intention to make money, but rather to subsidize the rest of their lucrative internal combustion engine portfolios from a legal and regulatory compliance perspective," added Brinkman. The analyst has an underweight rating on Tesla as well as a $185 price target, representing 40 percent downside from Thursday's close.

To be sure, Tesla shorts have not had success for the majority of 2017, down roughly $4.1 billion for the first three quarters of the year on an average short position of $9.4 billion, according to an S3 Partners note published last month. Shares of Tesla are up 45 percent since January, but were down 0.8 percent Friday.

However, from a high of $385 per share in September, Tesla's stock has lost one-fifth of its value, with shorts recovering $890 million of their losses, according to S3 Partners.

Alternatively, analyst Brinkman is long on shares of Tesla-rival General Motors, which he sees rising 28 percent over the next year.

"We note General Motors sports a 3.4 percent dividend yield, making it attractive to income oriented investors, and yields 8.9 percent free cash flow to equity, on our 2018 estimates," wrote Brinkman. "Investors have not been willing to accord GM shares the premium we feel they deserve, given: (1) fear of large losses in the next downturn; and (2) fear of disintermediation by Silicon Valley."

General Motors shares are up 24 percent since January, but fell 1.1 percent Friday.

Mostly it’s ludicrous, but in the short term (early January and February) that might make sense. I’m considering buying straddles or strangles that cover those periods.
Sounds like exactly what Mark Spiegel said last year around this time. Will this be the repeat of Spiegel bottom?
I have a funny feeling that @Curt Renz (IIRC) will be right. He questioned whether Chanos’ short announcement last month would be like a Speigel bottom in 2016.

So maybe a “minor” bottom in 2016 with a “major” bottom in 2017... considering who is calling the short.

Pattern the last several days is eerily similar to December 2016–which we now know was Tencent buying. Fingers crossed.

The above quotes are in time sequence beginning four weeks ago and ending yesterday.

I suspect that GoTslaGo was referring to this: 2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

@Waiting4M3 - Great minds think alike. ;)
Of course that's not to include Spiegel, Chanos and Brinkman. :D

Last edited:
I can't advise you what to do as we all have a different frame of reference/age/life......I will tell you what I do with lottos that are up big. I sell half of them when they are up over 100% as I book profit along with my initial investment, then let the rest ride. I personally don't wait till last moment before expiry to make sure the sale goes through.
Except he only paid $65 per option and they are currently worth over $860 each. So it seems to me that depending on what he believes that the sp will do in the interim might have a higher priority than normal. Maybe if he believes that the SP is going higher he could sell two now for an over 100% gain and set a trailing stop on the remaining contracts?

like powerpack, powerwall, mobility and solar roofs? I'm not even sure what the goals are at this point. 2.5 years ago demand for the PowerWall was "off the hook"... 2.5 years. now all the sudden Tesla is going to become a chip maker because the current hardware isn't going to work. there's an Australia powerpack installation... great... how much revenue was that?... what's a powerwall again?

do you guys even have expected timelines for any of these things anymore?

Powerpack/powerwall I admit not so prevalent in the US RIGHT NOW but seems to be a steady state of installs in markets that have immediate ROI like Australia. Solar roof should pick up in 2018 now that GF2 is set to start operating by EOY.

Chipmaking to me is a lofty goal once again which eventually I think they can accomplish. Take parallels from SpacEx. From a first principles standpoint, they did not accept simply what was but rather carved out a process on how to launch and deploy payloads in space at a cost orders of magnitude lesser than incumbents. It's the same DNA that runs within Tesla. You are free not to believe so.

Tesla isn't priced as 10 companies in 1. If it were, the price would be well into the thousands. It is priced on what they have achieved plus the weighted probability expectations of what they will achieve. And if Tesla is to be valued as 10 companies in q then investors are not yet putting a high probability on success.
and what is it that you expect they will achieve?... what I expect they will achieve is becoming an auto company that sells somewhere in the range of 250k/yr to 750k/yr within the next 5 years. do you expect they will become more than this?... do you think they'll sell more cars... or do you think they'll become 10 companies in 1?... if you think it's simply more cars... how many? every auto company's valuation combined is less than many people's targets for Tesla... so how many cars do you think they're going to sell?

• Funny
Reactions: UrsS
I think I know what your problem is, myusername. Your thinking is too "financialized". You know, there's a real company under there, with factories (bricks and mortar), manufacturing equipment, employees, etc. etc. You seem to think that a wand can be waved to create a manufacturing business, or that construction of a production line can be done predictably and on schedule like ordering a book off Amazon.com. No -- it's actually work, hard, risky work. Tesla's been working on it. They're always later than Elon thinks they'll be, and they do have problems with doing it.

If you don't look at the actual details of the manufacturing process and the process of building the factories, you will never understand what's going on. You will never be able to see what the fundamental difference between Tesla and Faraday Future was, because it doesn't appear in the numbers, it appears on the ground. You only see that they haven't shipped that many batteries yet. We see that they are dealing with hiring issues at the Panasonic side of the Gigafactory, badly programmed machines, problems with equipment due to power quality fluctuations... if you were able to take an engineering perspective you'd be able to see what was going on.

Taking an engineering perspective and looking at it from a ground-up perspective, it becomes possible to tell whether current problems will be persistent or not. Reasonable people can disagree on which problems will be persistent and which will not, and on what effect that will have. But you apparently can't even see that there's a bureaucracy with employees, a factory with machines, etc. -- you're not doing the analysis on that level.

Consider this hypothetical. If you knew that the only thing preventing Tesla from selling a million Powerpacks a year was a problem with the melters which could be fixed by installing a Powerpack buffer for the electricity supply, would that change your valuation? You're not even *looking* at such things, so you can't see it.

and what is it that you expect they will achieve?... what I expect they will achieve is becoming an auto company that sells somewhere in the range of 250k/yr to 750k/yr within the next 5 years. do you expect they will become more than this?... do you think they'll sell more cars... or do you think they'll become 10 companies in 1?... if you think it's simply more cars... how many? every auto company's valuation combined is less than many people's targets for Tesla... so how many cars do you think they're going to sell?

Correction: somewhere in the range of 250k/yr to 750k/yr within the next *1 year*

Reactions: neroden
No -- it's actually work, hard, risky work.

This is why shorts are short. It should not be possible. This is why I used the SpaceX example. Which is harder? I think SpaceX has a smaller number very difficult tasks to achieve their goals. Where as Tesla has a lot more smaller problems to solve. What I think makes it all work is Elon and his moonshot aspirational goals. The more I think about the more I think its a big recruiting tool. Think about it. If Elon says, "FSD in two years, guaranteed!" and I am some young badarse engineer, then im putting in my resume. I want to be near that action, even if I know its going to be a pressure cooker. Compare that to GM saying they are going to have 500 bolt taxi cabs on the roads in 2 years. SpaceX and everything else Elon does is the same. If you think about it, a company is just a bunch of people and a mission with some financial backing. Elon brings the last two. He as always been able to raise money. But he cant force people to work and work hard. He must inspire.

Last edited:
Shorts have been reading our posts, confirmed by some long time shorts. Maybe we should find a better way to communicate. It would be unfortunate if those shorts cover right before each rally. Maybe I should create an email list. I would block all the shorts and paid bashers from signing up.

Anyone use "wechat"? It's an app by Tencent, very convenient to share ideas and images. Let me know if you are interested. I might start a wechat group.

Shorts have been reading our posts, confirmed by some long time shorts. Maybe we should find a better way to communicate. It would be unfortunate if those shorts cover right before each rally. Maybe I should create an email list. I would block all the shorts and paid bashers from signing up.
Why? Anyone who wants to trade based on my joking comments is probably going to lose.

I don’t have bad feelings towards anyone. The only losers I prefer to lose is the big institutions that are holding my our calls. Of course they only lose the cost of holding shares long to hedge the transactions.

Another reason to like calls is that I’m forcing institutions to buy a lot more shares than I could afford to buy.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden and Skryll
Status
Not open for further replies.