Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have wanted a Tesla for a while now and had done some research and watched a lot of videos. I finally decided I would trade my 2015 F-150 Platinum. I was very surprised when I got my trade in estimate because it was a lot better than I was expecting based off from other posts I read. One thing I think really helps that is that they sell to private buyers instead of just sending to auction. I test drove one overnight and loved it. Before leaving with the test car we went over all of the options and I asked more questions than a normal person would since I was about to spend 50% more than what I've ever spent on a vehicle. I told them what I was looking for as far as battery capacity and color but the other options we discussed while sitting in the car. I particularly wanted air ride, fog lights, ambient lighting inside the vehicle and leather interior. We tried all of the options in the test car and he assured me the one they found would have those options. They showed me the data sheet on the car and I agreed to the price and had it brought from Miami to Tampa. A few days went by and I called to check delivery of my car and was told it takes 10-14 days. I then offered to send my own trucking and have it to them in one day and they said I couldn't do that. They then agreed to have it in next day. During transit I get a picture text messaged to me from my sales person showing the seats in my car. He says they aren't exactly like the test car but I will like them. The problem with them is that they were cloth not leather like I was told. He then said well your order sheet said multipattern black seats (nowhere is cloth mentioned). Again I relied on my salesman to answer all my questions on options since I've never ordered a Tesla before. The day finally comes that my car should be in and I get a phone call that the all glass roof was cracked and would have to be replaced. I still came in and did the paperwork and traded my truck in and was given a loaner until mine was fixed which was only a couple days. When I went back to get my car nobody went out to the car with me and show me anything. I was handed the keys and they pointed out the window to where my car was parked. I checked out the paint and everything seemed fine (except those cloth seats). I no more than pulled out the lot and realized all the options i wanted were not in this car. I immediately called service but everyone was busy and couldn't help me so I called my salesman to tell him and he seemed confused it didn't have those options. Once i finally got a hold of someone higher up i was told i got what i paid for and that i signed the contract so the car was mine. I agree i shouldn't have ever signed for a car without seeing it. I was just anxious to get my car but also to trade my truck in before something unexpected happened and they no longer agreed to take it. I tried speaking with the sales manager but was told i should have done my homework better before ordering a Tesla. I thought that's what the sales team was there for? One problem i believe may have happened was some option changes that happened right before i bought my car which consolidated many options into just a few. I was debating getting a 75D but was told it wasn't worth it and the only difference was $5k and .1 second difference. Well i later found out that had i gotten the 75D it comes standard with all of those options. I even called and double checked with sales about options before my car arrived and was assured it had them. After about 6hrs of phone calls and a week later i was able to get Telsa to take the car back since it only had 100 miles on it. I was able to find another car with the options i was supposed to have but the draw back was an extra $8k, different color and a 3 week wait. Not extremely happy about the whole process and they seem to not have any urgency with anything. I'll learn to like the color but it really sucks because I wasn't expecting to have to shell out another $8k more than what the whole transaction was at the beginning. I decided i probably didn't have much choice since they already had a large chunk of money i had put down on the car and didn't want to get in a big fight to get it back. All i can say is when my replacement car comes in it better be perfect. All in all it was a simple mistake made by my salesman and partly me too that caused a major mess. Make sure to ask plenty of questions and inspect fully before signing a single paper.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I have wanted a Tesla for a while now and had done some research and watched a lot of videos. I finally decided I would trade my 2015 F-150 Platinum. I was very surprised when I got my trade in estimate because it was a lot better than I was expecting based off from other posts I read. One thing I think really helps that is that they sell to private buyers instead of just sending to auction. I test drove one overnight and loved it. Before leaving with the test car we went over all of the options and I asked more questions than a normal person would since I was about to spend 50% more than what I've ever spent on a vehicle. I told them what I was looking for as far as battery capacity and color but the other options we discussed while sitting in the car. I particularly wanted air ride, fog lights, ambient lighting inside the vehicle and leather interior. We tried all of the options in the test car and he assured me the one they found would have those options. They showed me the data sheet on the car and I agreed to the price and had it brought from Miami to Tampa. A few days went by and I called to check delivery of my car and was told it takes 10-14 days. I then offered to send my own trucking and have it to them in one day and they said I couldn't do that. They then agreed to have it in next day. During transit I get a picture text messaged to me from my sales person showing the seats in my car. He says they aren't exactly like the test car but I will like them. The problem with them is that they were cloth not leather like I was told. He then said well your order sheet said multipattern black seats (nowhere is cloth mentioned). Again I relied on my salesman to answer all my questions on options since I've never ordered a Tesla before. The day finally comes that my car should be in and I get a phone call that the all glass roof was cracked and would have to be replaced. I still came in and did the paperwork and traded my truck in and was given a loaner until mine was fixed which was only a couple days. When I went back to get my car nobody went out to the car with me and show me anything. I was handed the keys and they pointed out the window to where my car was parked. I checked out the paint and everything seemed fine (except those cloth seats). I no more than pulled out the lot and realized all the options i wanted were not in this car. I immediately called service but everyone was busy and couldn't help me so I called my salesman to tell him and he seemed confused it didn't have those options. Once i finally got a hold of someone higher up i was told i got what i paid for and that i signed the contract so the car was mine. I agree i shouldn't have ever signed for a car without seeing it. I was just anxious to get my car but also to trade my truck in before something unexpected happened and they no longer agreed to take it. I tried speaking with the sales manager but was told i should have done my homework better before ordering a Tesla. I thought that's what the sales team was there for? One problem i believe may have happened was some option changes that happened right before i bought my car which consolidated many options into just a few. I was debating getting a 75D but was told it wasn't worth it and the only difference was $5k and .1 second difference. Well i later found out that had i gotten the 75D it comes standard with all of those options. I even called and double checked with sales about options before my car arrived and was assured it had them. After about 6hrs of phone calls and a week later i was able to get Telsa to take the car back since it only had 100 miles on it. I was able to find another car with the options i was supposed to have but the draw back was an extra $8k, different color and a 3 week wait. Not extremely happy about the whole process and they seem to not have any urgency with anything. I'll learn to like the color but it really sucks because I wasn't expecting to have to shell out another $8k more than what the whole transaction was at the beginning. I decided i probably didn't have much choice since they already had a large chunk of money i had put down on the car and didn't want to get in a big fight to get it back. All i can say is when my replacement car comes in it better be perfect. All in all it was a simple mistake made by my salesman and partly me too that caused a major mess. Make sure to ask plenty of questions and inspect fully before signing a single paper.
Did you buy your car through Tesla or from a dealership? When you said you agreed to the price, my thought was this had to be through a dealer.

I only ask because I recently put an order in for my MS through my nearby Tesla store at the King of Prussia mall in PA and had a fantastic experience. That being said, if you were promised one thing and was delivered another, that's a major issue.

Did you buy your car through Tesla or from a dealership? When you said you agreed to the price, my thought was this had to be through a dealer.

I only ask because I recently put an order in for my MS through my nearby Tesla store at the King of Prussia mall in PA and had a fantastic experience. That being said, if you were promised one thing and was delivered another, that's a major issue.

It was purchased at a Tesla store. The issue was that they had just recently made that option change so I couldn't even really check it online because the inventory S75 they sold me was built before that. There wasn't even a S75 online to order because the bottom line one became the 75D with all the requested options standard so all I had to go by was what my sales guys said.

Best of luck with the replacement car! Impressed they took the original back, of course the problem is this should never have happened to start with. The Tesla sales staff seem a little behind on the idea of providing thorough and complete information to their customers up front. I had to bug people constantly and ask questions multiple times to get complete and accurate information. The constant change in features and packages makes it literally impossible for the customer to know everything and the sales people to help fill in that knowledge gap. Too bad no one in Tesla sales has figured this out yet.

Best of luck with the replacement car! Impressed they took the original back, of course the problem is this should never have happened to start with. The Tesla sales staff seem a little behind on the idea of providing thorough and complete information to their customers up front. I had to bug people constantly and ask questions multiple times to get complete and accurate information. The constant change in features and packages makes it literally impossible for the customer to know everything and the sales people to help fill in that knowledge gap. Too bad no one in Tesla sales has figured this out yet.

Thanks. I hope the new one is a good one. The manager even asked me if I had anything the salesman said in writing. I said I wasn't aware I should have documented my showroom visit. Either way they are helping me out but not without a bit of hassle. Every time I walk in service now they look at me like I'm the worst person ever. They said we have never had to do this for anyone so we find it hard to believe the salesman could have mislead you. I then asked how long the sales person had worked for Tesla and the reply was a couple months.

I would ask for some annual maintenance or extended warranty to be thrown in due to all the trouble you went through.

Tesla changes things often and when you are looking at inventory cars you have to do your research to see when it was built. Some of the OAs don't seem to be very thorough.

I would ask for some annual maintenance or extended warranty to be thrown in due to all the trouble you went through.

Tesla changes things often and when you are looking at inventory cars you have to do your research to see when it was built. Some of the OAs don't seem to be very thorough.

They offered me 4 years free maintenance if I kept the car but the offer was withdrawn once I said I don't want this car I want the one I was told i was getting. Doubt if I could get anything now.

I had a similar thing happen when I got my 75D. I asked my owner advisor multiple times if the car I was getting had the ambient lighting, adaptive headlights, and air suspension. He assured me those options were present. When I talked to my owner advisor after delivery, I asked him why I couldn't find the options in the car settings for the ambient/adaptive lights. He was very surprised and said he would look into it. He got back to me in a few hours saying that he didn't realize the car build date missed the inclusion of those features by a few days and he thought originally the car would have those options based on build date. He offered the first service free for his mess up. I agreed because CA has no cool off period for buyers so I knew I was stuck with the car anyways. Unfortunately, since his offer of the free service, I haven't heard anything more from him. I've tried contacting him multiple times and can't get ahold of him.

• Informative
Reactions: Pentium2004
I had a similar thing happen when I got my 75D. I asked my owner advisor multiple times if the car I was getting had the ambient lighting, adaptive headlights, and air suspension. He assured me those options were present. When I talked to my owner advisor after delivery, I asked him why I couldn't find the options in the car settings for the ambient/adaptive lights. He was very surprised and said he would look into it. He got back to me in a few hours saying that he didn't realize the car build date missed the inclusion of those features by a few days and he thought originally the car would have those options based on build date. He offered the first service free for his mess up. I agreed because CA has no cool off period for buyers so I knew I was stuck with the car anyways. Unfortunately, since his offer of the free service, I haven't heard anything more from him. I've tried contacting him multiple times and can't get ahold of him.

Florida does not have a cool off period either but I basically told them I don't want this car and I'll drive it back and drop it in the parking lot. They then decided to tell me they would tow it away so I informed them that the local news would love to hear about this experience when purchasing a $85k car. Things started to happen after that. The sales people need better training to stay informed of any changes because that sounds like the exact same situation as mine. I had to get the regional manager involved and damn near everyone in corporate.

I'd install the Abstract Ocean interior LEDs. Better than factor and you'll get the premium lighting.

Thanks for the suggestion. A Tesla is extremely dark inside without ambient lighting. I would have kept the car but I just couldn't get over the cloth seats. They were exactly the same cloth and pattern of a 2007 Scion TC I had long ago. I never knew you could even get cloth seats in a Tesla. On delivery the guy said let me know how you like those seats. I said why did someone tell you how mad I was about getting cloth seats and his reply was no we just haven't ever had one come through here lol. I was thinking man I really got a bare bones car if they have never seen it before.

You wanted leather and the salesman said the car comes with multi pattern seats and the sales person said you'd love them

I don't know why but that's funny.

I would never sign for a car that I didn't inspect and check all the features I paid for.
Not because I don't trust the sales people but because mistakes happen and then it's a bigger headache getting them resolved once you take delivery of the car.

Reactions: Pentium2004
You wanted leather and the salesman said the car comes with multi pattern seats and the sales person said you'd love them

I don't know why but that's funny.

I would never sign for a car that I didn't inspect and check all the features I paid for.
Not because I don't trust the sales people but because mistakes happen and then it's a bigger headache getting them resolved once you take delivery of the car.

Lesson learned