Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very Unhappy - Battery Died P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I knew this day was going to come one day and told myself, no big deal we will just deal with it and all will be well.....but one of the things Elon talked about when you purchased one of this vehicle was the long-range and owner could get of our this vehicle. My car currently has 155k miles on it and I just can't believe this battery has died on me! I am beyond disappointed and to be honest, a bit pissed off.

has anyone else found a better option than to replace this freaking battery? Not ready to spend 15k on a new battery?

I've heard of an option of fixing maybe a dead cell?

any input would be great.

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
$10k USD - That seems to be the current market rate for an 85 kWh used/reman/salvage replacement pack that gives the owner a rated range of around 240 miles. Just the pack. Any applicable labor, taxes, and warranty (explained below) are extra.

$10k includes Tesla, 3rd party professionals and salvage yards. Tesla bundles in a 4 year/50k mile warranty while others offer warranties at an extra cost. Each year of warranty seems to range from $1250-$1500/year. e.g. Tesla's basic $15k=$10k pack + (4) x $1250 warranty. Of course, Tesla does not break things down like this, but based on 3rd party warranty fees, a reasonable comparison.

So your decision around that magic $10k number for a 85 kWh used/reman/salvage replacement pack revolves around warranty and convenience of location/time.

Lastly, Tesla is the only one providing new (not reman) replacement packs. $18k base plus tax, labor, etc for around $21k total. Comes with 4yr/50k mile warranty.

Reactions: S-ALSET
Your 029/018 alert solution will likely depend on what you want to do with your car and your personal finances. My advice, and I'm just one person, is based on personally talking with hundreds of folks and my own experience. I don't profess to be the expert - (1) If you love the car and want to keep it less than 3 years, either get a remanufactured pack replacement or fix of your current pack for $7k-$15k USD, (2) if you love your car and want to keep it for more than 3 years then get new pack from Tesla for $20k, (3) If you're done with Tesla and just want to walk away, sell your car for $7k-10k with known 029/018 alert. (4) If you are mechanically inclined and comfortable/safe around dangerous high voltage, then you can swap packs or attempt to repair your existing pack. CAUTION these packs are lethal if not managed safely.

2012 P85 here. I got my 029 alert 3 days after purchasing the car from original owner in Oct 2022 for $27k USD. I ordered reman from Tesla for $13.5k+$390 labor + tax=approx $15k. 3 weeks later NEW 90 kWh replacement pack arrived. Tesla honored $15k quote. So saved about $5k. 90kwh corked to 85kwh. Would cost $750 to uncork but I opted to remain at 85kwh.

Reactions: jensk2 and S-ALSET
2012 P85 here. I got my 029 alert 3 days after purchasing the car from original owner in Oct 2022 for $27k USD. I ordered reman from Tesla for $13.5k+$390 labor + tax=approx $15k. 3 weeks later NEW 90 kWh replacement pack arrived. Tesla honored $15k quote. So saved about $5k. 90kwh corked to 85kwh. Would cost $750 to uncork but I opted to remain at 85kwh.
That was a good deal :) And assuming they software limited it inth top to the original 77,5 kWh in a Model S 85, your future battery degradaion should be VERY small. Here is my range from new, when I Rarely charged it above 70%::

1714043353626.png

Reactions: NV Ray
I knew this day was going to come one day and told myself, no big deal we will just deal with it and all will be well.....but one of the things Elon talked about when you purchased one of this vehicle was the long-range and owner could get of our this vehicle. My car currently has 155k miles on it and I just can't believe this battery has died on me! I am beyond disappointed and to be honest, a bit pissed off.

has anyone else found a better option than to replace this freaking battery? Not ready to spend 15k on a new battery?

This might be an option

sad to hear that.

Join best Battery repair facebook group someone will help you: