Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S Milling Noise [Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2017 model S (40k miles) recently started making the dreaded "milling noise". I took it into the service center (Las Vegas) where the technician quickly diagnosed the issue and said I needed a new drivetrain. The next day I received the following message:

"We had our technician complete the remote diagnostic for your Model S at this point, replacement is not necessary, however, if the sound escalates into something louder over time, we are more than happy to check again to see if it then qualifies for replacement :)"

The noise is already annoying as hell - it sounds like someone is grinding sheet metal in my trunk, all of my passengers ask about it. I'm embarrassed to admit that a company I think so highly of is no better than a slimy used car dealership that stuck me with a lemon and refuses to fix an obvious issue.

As a Tesla owner and shareholder, I desperately want to believe that this is not revealing a deeper issue with the company, but their reluctance fix an undeniably malfunctioning drive unit has me extremely concerned.

This same issue has been discussed before a few times in the past, but it always seems to be handled relatively quickly:

Anyone have ideas on how to fix this problem???

So did you take it elsewhere (another svc center) or same? Im in the same boat. I took mine in April and they told me the same thing. I leave the music up so loud I could burst my ear drums to keep from hearing the noise. So annoying.
I took it back to the same service center - not sure if they accepted it this time because the issue had worsened or if it was just a different technician.