Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S60D - annoyances

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not understand why every time I get in my S 60D car, I have to respond to a charging level warning. I fully charge every time as I have a a 75kwh battery, so my understanding is that I am in no danger of overcharging issues. Indeed, that was one reason I purchased this model. So why isn’t my car smart enough to quit pestering me?

Also, I was planning on my first long trip and eager to use Tesla’s trip planner, but there is no option for my 60D! I find this very annoying!

Reactions: DanCar
You purchased a 60KWh battery. You got a free bonus in the fact that better is actually larger, however assume you got what you paid for and if this was a real 60KWh battery you would be degrading it. Another free bonus is the ability to upgrade for $2K (plenty of people out there wish they had that option, 60->75, 85->100 for example). Again, rather than looking at it as what you don't get, look at everything you got for free.

Unless it's changed recently (I upgraded to 75 a while ago) it's absolutely not "every time you get in your car". I think it's once every 3-5 charges or so.

You’re right, it’s not every time, I was including messages about hooking up to a wi-fi network which also happens pretty often even when I am not at home.

These seem to be easy software fixes for Tesla to make, and, IMO, it’s really ridiculous that they haven’t.

You’re right, it’s not every time, I was including messages about hooking up to a wi-fi network which also happens pretty often even when I am not at home.

These seem to be easy software fixes for Tesla to make, and, IMO, it’s really ridiculous that they haven’t.

They want your money. It's not a bug. It's intentional.

Do you think that would make people happy to make it actually behave like a real, non-upgradable 60KWh battery?

If so, then the proper fix would be to give the customer exact experience they would get from an actual 60KWh battery since they paid for a 60KWh battery. This means only 56KWh usable charge (notice that software upgradable 60's actually have 62KWh usable, so the customers today already get a big free bonus). What they should do is just bottom-limit the battery to 60KWh rather than top limit - this way the battery will actually charge full when set to 100%, it will just show empty and stop driving when it hits 19KWh SoC. This way the warning will not be fake, you will actually be degrading your battery when charging to a 100% because the battery will in fact charge to 100%. The charging will actually slow down at the top as well, as in a real 60.

If they implemented it as an option for 60 drivers, I wonder how many would actually enable it.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: MXWing
Do you think that would make people happy to make it actually behave like a real, non-upgradable 60KWh battery?

If so, then the proper fix would be to give the customer exact experience they would get from an actual 60KWh battery since they paid for a 60KWh battery. This means only 56KWh usable charge (notice that software upgradable 60's actually have 62KWh usable, so the customers today already get a big free bonus). What they should do is just bottom-limit the battery to 60KWh rather than top limit - this way the battery will actually charge full when set to 100%, it will just show empty and stop driving when it hits 19KWh SoC. This way the warning will not be fake, you will actually be degrading your battery when charging to a 100% because the battery will in fact charge to 100%. The charging will actually slow down at the top as well, as in a real 60.

If they implemented it as an option for 60 drivers, I wonder how many would actually enable it.:rolleyes:

I was very much on the fence about buying this car, and, as I said, one incentive was that I *could* make full-use of this battery. I had no idea they would be after me to upgrade or connect to WiFi every day. (I had also informed dealer I wouldn’t be able to use WiFi, “no problem.”) Don’t they want to keep their customers happy?

I was very much on the fence about buying this car, and, as I said, one incentive was that I *could* make full-use of this battery. I had no idea they would be after me to upgrade or connect to WiFi every day. (I had also informed dealer I wouldn’t be able to use WiFi, “no problem.”) Don’t they want to keep their customers happy?

How did you find out about the bonus use of the battery? If it wasn’t from Tesla it’s off label usage. It’s still not official from a company stance even if a sales person told you.

Since it’s off label you have no recourse except demand the solution outlined by @whitex above.

Personally, I’d accept the gift that few people have currently and no one in the future will appear to have.

Though $2000 to get the full range and uncork for a faster 0-60 is something I would do.

Wasn’t this 9K at one point?

Wi-Fi is a seperete issue and something Tesla should help you with.

Last edited:
Sorry I'm just really curious how you manage to have a Tesla but not WiFi?

I'd guess a lot of people who own Teslas nowadays are in the same situation. I rent, and my complex isn't blanketed with wifi. My signal barely reaches my parking space and is basically useless (the connection isn't solid enough to maintain long enough for downloading updates), and if I plug the car into the chargers at our complex I'm several hundred feet away from any wifi connection.

I'd guess a lot of people who own Teslas nowadays are in the same situation. I rent, and my complex isn't blanketed with wifi. My signal barely reaches my parking space and is basically useless (the connection isn't solid enough to maintain long enough for downloading updates), and if I plug the car into the chargers at our complex I'm several hundred feet away from any wifi connection.

Huh. Well if it's any consolation, while I have WiFi, I'm in a relative dead zone for cell service despite being in a major metroplex. So I can get WiFi updates any time, but if I want to stream anything I have to wait until I'm a few blocks away for the signal to be strong enough. First world problems of course, but it does get annoying when it's every day.

Reactions: Zeromus-X
Are we being serious right now? this isn't some grand conspiracy by Tesla to make you upgrade your battery. The software is automatically programmed to tell you 100% charging is bad for your car, regardless of the battery. Why it isn't smart enough to realize its a 75kwh battery that is software limited, who knows. Do you actually need all 209 miles of range everyday? if not then drop the charge to 90% and the nag will go away.

First thing I did after I purchased my (used) 60D is upgrade the battery to 75D. I consider it a bargain for $2k - particularly since comparable 75D models would sell for about $8k more. And I haven't had any range anxiety ever since (charging to 80%, unless I plan a longer trip)

Tesla never officially said you could do it. People on forums have figured it out (some still don't believe it btw), so complain to whoever told you you can charge to 100% without degradation. Tesla's official stance has always been that charging to 100% regularly had potential negative effects on battery longevity.

As for WiFi, come on, the car is controlled by a giant cell-phone. LIke a cell phone, it will nag to get connected to WiFi, no big deal. Btw, you can always just associate it with some WiFi and IIRC it will stop nagging, even if you never are in range of that WiFi (I traveled across the country once and stayed there fore a couple of weeks, never did the car ask me for WiFi). Try it, maybe it will take care of 50% of your problem. Oh, you will get updates over LTE, with the exception maybe for maps which are huge (6GB+). For those you might have to connect to WiFi, but don't worry, you can do at the service center - no different than most other cars today which actually require a service visit to upgrade maps.

Now that the whole “uncorking” thing happened, you might actually be the last 60D left. Like, literally the last one.

$2k was a low enough price to get most people to jump just for the added range. Added range plus a full second reduction in 0-60 time? Downright bargain.

Reactions: croman
I've seen a fair number of 60D and 70D facelift cars. Unless Tesla ran out of badges, some people just don't want to spend the 2k. I jumped at it on rested 2017 and the uncork was a big bonus. Haven't had the 3 charge warning since.

Never gotten a WiFi nag but I've got a router and network just the garage for the Tesla.

Now that the whole “uncorking” thing happened, you might actually be the last 60D left. Like, literally the last one.

$2k was a low enough price to get most people to jump just for the added range. Added range plus a full second reduction in 0-60 time? Downright bargain.

I would say the uncorking is pretty obscure. Tesla never to my knowledge notified the owners via email about it and not everyone is on TMC. If on TMC, you have to be on it frequently to see those threads at the top.

Did Tesla send out an email blast saying it was $2K to upgrade - for the range?