Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchased Tesla 2017 Model S 90D, Received 60D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s what’s happening, so far. I purchased 4 new rims, 4 new rotors, 4 sets of brakes, 2 new tie rods, 1 new wiper assembly motor and have talked with Tesla who verified I could upgrade to a 75D for around $2000. Tesla also wants me to do an “Infotainment Upgrade” and says it’s free… question on that later.

I received the parts and one by one loaded all parts into the vehicle.

I then contacted the GM of the dealership and told him about all the parts I have collected and requested they be installed. I informed them that I felt I was being extremely reasonable and he agreed. He also stated that the work will be inspected by a third party for my piece of mind.

Before the haters exclaim that the dealership should be responsible for all parts, let me explain how that is untrue. The dealer is responsible for the vehicle meeting road safety (inspection) standards for my state (since it was delivered). This means they would have to replace a couple pads and possibly, no guarantee, turn the rotors. They would have to repair or adjust the tie rods and fix one rim. Yes, the wiper assembly as well.

The purchases I made are for my piece of mind. No repaired hack job, straight up new, quality, parts. Since I don’t even use the brakes, I would basically be set for the life of the vehicle… in my possession.

I will update once the vehicle is returned. Currently I have a 2022 Mercedes that’s driving me nuts. I have only done 15 miles in almost a week 🤣 It took me 10 minutes to figure out how to vent the sunroof and the car has Auto Stop/Start so the dam thing yells at me every time I exit the vehicle “Please Power OFF The Vehicle” 🤪

My question on the “Infotainment Upgrade” may be weird. Everything I see on this “Upgrade” is $0.00 but… “Add Self Driving for $6000 or Subscribe”… I already have full self driving, drive on NAV and even summoning… so? Why would I need to “Add” it to an “Upgrade”?

My question on the “Infotainment Upgrade” may be weird. Everything I see on this “Upgrade” is $0.00 but… “Add Self Driving for $6000 or Subscribe”… I already have full self driving, drive on NAV and even summoning… so? Why would I need to “Add” it to an “Upgrade”?

Upgrade for the FSD Computer from v2.5 to v3.0 is free if you have FSD on the car (which sounds like you do). However, the Infotainment upgrade (upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 is NOT free. It carries a cost of ~$1500 (~$2000 if you want to keep FM/XM radio).

The Infotainment upgrade is well worth it - definitely recommend doing it.

Upgrade for the FSD Computer from v2.5 to v3.0 is free if you have FSD on the car (which sounds like you do). However, the Infotainment upgrade (upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 is NOT free. It carries a cost of ~$1500 (~$2000 if you want to keep FM/XM radio).

The Infotainment upgrade is well worth it - definitely recommend doing it.
I could honestly care less about FM, as I do not listen to or watch any commercial broadcasts. I personally prefer to curate my own music too, so XM is pointless.

The upgrade was suggested because I asked Tesla support how to integrate my iTunes subscription and that was their answer.

I appreciate the info, but does this also… even if I pay the 2K, allow iTunes integration?

Also, I have free lifetime data package, does this extend to the upgrade or does it become a paid subscription?

Last edited:
I could honestly care less about FM, as I do not listen to or watch any commercial broadcasts. I personally prefer to curate my own music too, so XM is pointless.

The upgrade was suggested because I asked Tesla support how to integrate my iTunes subscription and that was their answer.

I appreciate the info, but does this also… even if I pay the 2K, allow iTunes integration?

Also, I have free lifetime data package, does this extend to the upgrade or does it become a paid subscription?
The upgrade of MCU1 to MCU2 does not trigger any change with regards to having lifetime premium connectivity. Would not become a paid subscription.

Reactions: sjdaniels
I purchased a used 2017 Tesla Model S 90D from Mercedes-Benz. Ran the VIN through Tesla VIN Checker and it responded with 2017 Tesla Model S 90D. Received Good Car Report and stated 2017 Tesla Model S 90D. Received CarFax Report and it also states... 2017 Tesla Model S 90D.

I received the vehicle and the instrament panel states "Model S 60D". I asked the sales rep and was told it's a software update. I linked the car to my WiFi and it ran updates all night. Morning, Model S 60D.

My assumption was that it had something to do with the previous owner not releasing the vehicle from his Tesla account. I found the previous owners credit card in the storage area under the large monitor. So, I contacted him. Both about releasing the vehicle and his gold card. Today 8/31/23 the car was released and Tesla application now shows the vehicle as mine.

I setup everything and noticed that the vehicle specs and model are listed as 60D in the Tesla application. WTF?

Did I just get screwed? Is there a contact for Tesla that doesn't end with a "Was this helpful?". A phone number or email... anything to figure this out. I'm going to head out now for my first charge. Anything I should look for?

Even if you don't have an answer, Thank You for reading.
Physically check under the front passenger right side on the main battery. You will see the details sticker around there where it will say 90kw or something else.