Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.21 0fa48d9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the steering wheel nag behavior new where it flashes only at the top border of the screen?

Could this be paving the way for the sides of the screen to be used for some BSM indicator purpose?

Was thinking the same thing.

The way I have my steering wheel height set, I wont see that nag. And who looks down at the speedo when changing lanes? Not sure a BSM which flashes in the IC will be very effective (compared to having a warning light in the mirror like most implimentations).

If they are going to do something in the IC, what I would like love to see is live video from the appropriate rear-facing cam when I switch the indicator on. Even better if anything in the blindspot is boxed/highlighted...

Yes, the flash to the top is new, they moved it from the bottom.
Wasn't it around the entire screen before? Mine has always flashed on every side of the IC.
FlashAP.JPG

Wasn't it around the entire screen before? Mine has always flashed on every side of the IC.
View attachment 307460

Yes, if you didn't react to only the bottom nag fast enough.

I'm actually really excited about the top bar nag since as others have said, in my steering wheel position and my height, I actually can't see the bottom nag so if I'm being nagged I only find out when the whole screen flashes. I'll be able to see the top though.

Yes, if you didn't react to only the bottom nag fast enough.

I'm actually really excited about the top bar nag since as others have said, in my steering wheel position and my height, I actually can't see the bottom nag so if I'm being nagged I only find out when the whole screen flashes. I'll be able to see the top though.
We have three different Teslas and they've always flashed around the entire IC within 3 seconds of the Hold steering wheel message.

As you can see in this video (jump to around 50 seconds), it first shows a "Hold steering wheel" message and in about 3 seconds, it starts flashing all the way around the screen:

Yes, the flash to the top is new, they moved it from the bottom.

I think "removed it from the bottom and sides" would be more clear than saying "they moved it from the bottom". It's always been all around the IC. I guess you are agreeing that it has always flashed around it...but as @croman mentions, some people can't see the top or bottom...so it was probably better to have it do both.

Last edited:
Reactions: croman
I seldom get the NAG to the point of the WHITE RING but I also might not be able to see the top based on my steering wheel and seat position. But not sure. I wonder why they would change that.

I just went back to review the VIDEO. I guess I will need to adjust my steering wheel to accommodate. Like someone else said maybe they will use the other 3 sides for something else.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Yes, Tesla misses deadlines and if you get over excited with every Tesla promise and take them literally, you will be disappointed. But Tesla also delivers very cool stuff from time to time so if you are the extreme pessimist who thinks Tesla will never succeed, you will be proven wrong a lot too. For example, you had folks doubting that AP2 would ever reach parity with AP1. Now, depending on who you ask, AP2 has either reached parity or is close to reaching parity with AP1. Some people even find that AP2 has surpassed AP1 a bit in some areas.

The best thing to do is to be a realist, not overly optimistic, pie in the sky, but not overly pessimistic either.

I don't think the so called pessimists are saying Tesla will not deliver anything, not at all. Tesla history has been to deliver something, it will be late, it may be cool but it may or may not be useful, but definitely not the dream Elon sold you, and occasionally they will deliver it but only to new owners, leaving old owners with unfinished product.

Just so this isn't purely hypothetical, let me illustrate what I mean using actual examples:

Delivering late, cool but not very useful:
  • Blind Spot Warning AP1 - Tesla eventually (late) delivered the feature, it looks cool, but it's completely unreliable (if you trusted when it tells you there are no cars next to you, you would have accidents often) - so useless as a safety feature. Tesla quietly removed this as a feature from them website by the way.
  • AP1 Summon - late, buggy, really far from Elon said it will do (there is a long way between creeping out a few feet straight and only detecting perfectly vertical and straight walls, and "will find you anywhere on private property) - pure gimmick
Delivering to new customers only:
  • P85D was sold as a 691hp car. It took a while longer, but eventually Tesla delivered 691hp, just not to P85D owners, only yo P100D owners. P85D does not have the necessary hardware to meet the spec and Tesla was not going to upgrade the owners for free (or even for a fee, you have to buy a while new $140K car). P85D owners would have to receive a 50% power boost to meet the original spec. People who sued in Europe got a free upgrade to 500hp. People in the US got an option to pay $5K for the same upgrade. Upgrade to full 691hp costs $80K+ as it requires a tradeup to P100D.
  • Blind sport warning may be similar, with AP2.5 cameras it may eventually become significantly bettter (still won't work in total darkness, but much better) but I am guaranteeing you AP1 owners are not getting a free retrofit with AP2.5 cameras and electronics to make it work. Heck, AP2.0 users with older cameras may get a neutered version as well.
So you could be a realist and expect that AP2 will get better, will get some tricks up its sleeve, but will always rely on immediate human intervention, therefore stay Level 2/3 at best. Given long enough, Tesla will come out with FSD, but it won't be for AP2.x owners, they will go down the path of 691hp, Tesla will say the car is capable, except not all of it so it cannot be enabled.

My personal opinion is best case for AP2.5 is that it will get some useful safety features, blind spot monitoring, cross traffic detection, EAB that actually stops the car before hitting, maybe some evasive maneuvers when detecting another car heading for the Tesla. While it will get some EAP/FSD features, they will always be Beta, they will always require rigorous supervision by the driver, and in the end they will be a cool trick, like cars with oversized air suspension able to jump while parked. I just hope the safety stuff comes before Tesla abandons AP2.5 platform for a newer one.

Reactions: croman
For example, you had folks doubting that AP2 would ever reach parity with AP1. Now, depending on who you ask, AP2 has either reached parity or is close to reaching parity with AP1. Some people even find that AP2 has surpassed AP1 a bit in some areas.

The best thing to do is to be a realist, not overly optimistic, pie in the sky, but not overly pessimistic either.

Realistically, AP2 is in no way 'close to reaching parity with AP1'. And what are these 'some areas' in which AP2 has surpassed AP1? I haven't experienced a single scenario in which AP2 exceeds AP1 - not one.

Both do a better job now of recognizing stopped traffic, but as we know, neither is foolproof. Here, one has to give the nod *eventually* to AP2 once more cameras are used in general release.

When AP2 reacts to speed limit zone changes by reading speed limit signs as does AP1 with the reliability of AP1, then AS won't be negatively impacted in both directions by bad speed limit data. Neither speeding through school zones nor being restricted to a too-low speed limit on highways can be confused with parity. When AP3 offers *both* (camera-driven sign reaction *and* database backup without the unbelievable number of errors currently present), *then* we'll have something better than either AP2 or AP1 offers today.

As disturbing as any of the above is AP2's propensity to cross double yellow lines or other lane markers - even when in very close proximity to concrete barriers (see carpool/HOV lanes). The regularity with which AP2 strays is as striking as the converse with AP1. This over 1.5 years after the advent of AP2, and yet somehow this is parity.

I used to think that eventually, AP2 would surpass AP1 in all areas, but now, since we're already at AP2.5, I've pinned my hopes upon Tesla's own design for a new SoC/board which presumably will spur AP3. I don't know that we need more connectivity to finally realize the E in EAP, but we well might for FSD - that's fine. Would love to see Starlink arrive in practical use before 5G - Elon might win that race, and we will only benefit as the cars communicate more and more in real time.

Put another way, when I replace my AP2 car with an AP1 unicorn, I expect to *gain* functionality until we get AP3 and hopefully not long thereafter, FSD. Nobody else has the complete package yet - not GM, not Nissan, and certainly not BMW. Ford is doing interesting things, but still. I like Tesla's chances to win on multiple fronts, but today they're still playing catch up to what MobilEye had.

Realistically, AP2 is in no way 'close to reaching parity with AP1'. And what are these 'some areas' in which AP2 has surpassed AP1? I haven't experienced a single scenario in which AP2 exceeds AP1 - not one.

From the videos I have seen, AP2 does auto lane change just as well as AP1, even slows down to let cars pass before completing the lane change, handles hills and crests just as well as AP1, handles stop and go traffic just as well as AP1, and can handle some roads with no lane markings at all. The one area where AP2 seems to still lag behind is taking sharp curves where AP2 hugs the lane marking a bit but AP1 is more centered. And now, with the latest update, AP2 shows cars in adjacent lanes again and slows down in exit ramps. I would say that qualifies as "close to reaching parity".

I mean no disrespect but I can't help but wonder if maybe people's experiences with AP1 and AP2 don't bias them a bit to always think AP1 is better. Specifically, if a person's first experience with AP was with AP1 when it was solid and then they moved on from a great AP1 to a shaky AP2, they are going to feel as if AP1 was better even if AP2 now has improved a lot since it's introduction. That experience of moving from a great AP1 to a new and shaky AP2 will bias them to prefer AP1 even if AP2 is now really good. That initial impression will stay with them.

Watching videos doesn't qualify you to speak to anything. I've driven 32k miles and I've seen AP2 from the first build to 2018.18. I'm not like @TaoJones where I was duped into trading in an AP1 car and therefore have experience with that. So I don't make comparisons. Some people who own both say AP2 is better at some stuff and AP1 is better at the rest. I just assume being close enough for a debate is probably a big victory as compared to the dark early days. I do think parity with AP1 is a sad milestone that Tesla has bandied about for nearly a year. Its time to blow past AP1 and the way to do that is by releasing EAP features and Tesla has been mute until recently on that. We still don't really know anything due to Elon's inability to accurately project timelines and hire someone, like Gwynne Shotwell, for Tesla to speak more accurately about an AP development roadmap.

Reactions: BigD0g