Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.21 0fa48d9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm. Can't tell if you are serious or referring to the Model X accident...
More serious, but mostly being a smart a$$. Not referring to any accident.

It was more a "This is how I'd merge, flat out go for it when the slightest gap presented itself." Hate when people sit at the top of a merge lane and wait for enough of a gap a semi could pull out safely.

Now, if AP could manage that... :)

I know it has been mentioned briefly in this topic, but I'm curious there hasn't been more discussion related to the change in time for the hands on the wheel nag. Came from 2018.14 to 2018.21.9 last night on my AP1 Model S. Drove my normal route to and from work today and noted many more hands on the steering wheel nags. So frustrated that is even timed it, it is 25-30 seconds between nags. Used to be able to drive to work and touch the steering wheel no more than about 4 times (18 mile commute). Today, I think I had to touch it about 25 times each way. Super frustrated by this. It's not that I'm not paying attention, cause I know to be looking out much further ahead, but I enjoy relaxing without having to have my hands on the wheel. To me, this is a huge step back for my car. This is not what I paid for functionality wise. Glad to see others screwing this up for us...
Hopefully Tesla corrects this in the next firmware update, otherwise this is no different than all the other manufactures equivalent out there.

I know it has been mentioned briefly in this topic, but I'm curious there hasn't been more discussion related to the change in time for the hands on the wheel nag. Came from 2018.14 to 2018.21.9 last night on my AP1 Model S. Drove my normal route to and from work today and noted many more hands on the steering wheel nags. So frustrated that is even timed it, it is 25-30 seconds between nags. Used to be able to drive to work and touch the steering wheel no more than about 4 times (18 mile commute). Today, I think I had to touch it about 25 times each way. Super frustrated by this. It's not that I'm not paying attention, cause I know to be looking out much further ahead, but I enjoy relaxing without having to have my hands on the wheel. To me, this is a huge step back for my car. This is not what I paid for functionality wise. Glad to see others screwing this up for us...
Hopefully Tesla corrects this in the next firmware update, otherwise this is no different than all the other manufactures equivalent out there.

Lol. Your driving style is exactly why we have the nags.

Meh... I tend to agree with Ryman. I understand the instinct to increase the nag rate in response to accidents, media hype and in an attempt to get out in front of regulation. But, there is an undeniable trade off with utility. And, there is no less vigilance required with an intervention at 25 second intervals than at 60 seconds. I'm not texting or taking my eyes off the road in either case. In fact I think you can make a case that it is more distracting to have more frequent warnings.

It is like doing an auto land in an aircraft. Even with hands off the yoke you are constantly monitoring airspeed, attitude, vertical speed and your surrounds (if visual). The a/p is just another way of operating the aircraft. In the Tesla when rounding a curve on the freeway at 100 km/h on a/p, I am still operating the car - just by a different means.

I know it has been mentioned briefly in this topic, but I'm curious there hasn't been more discussion related to the change in time for the hands on the wheel nag. Came from 2018.14 to 2018.21.9 last night on my AP1 Model S.
This is the 2018.21 thread. You'll see more discussion of the appropriate release in the appropriate thread for 2018.21.9. Very few people ever got 2018.21.

Someone (@lunitiks ?) said second CAN wire in the Conti radar was for redundancy - goes straight to the redundant GPU in the AP2.5 unit.
tenor.gif

On the contrary, I actually doubt it's for redundancy. The wiring diagrams normally state "redundant" when it is, and the Conti canbusses are called "Primary" and "Secondary". (They're also both on the same connector, in the same wiring harness and terminate in the same APE connector. I'm having trouble seeing how this is good redundancy...)

Anyway, what I've speculated is that it might have something to do with their "two independent scans". Check it out:
Continental Automotive

• Informative
Reactions: J1mbo
Back on top for @bmah ;), I drove around a bunch this weekend, and I could not get the beta to change the speed limit for "tight" exit ramps that would drive it down to < 45 mph, it would only change the speeds for me on those long sweeping highway transitions not the tight ones. I see the new "big" release is out, so it probably adds very little value anyways, since it's basically what we have in the beta, increased nags and controlled mix / max speeds on curves, and the new "release" is better in a way a guess as it works in more conditions, so I guess they proved it out on the beta and said this is working great and pushed the button to open it for all curves perhaps. It all gets driven from the tiles and there meta-data that @verygreen and @DamianXVI proved out so long ago.

Last edited:
People don't crash because they don't have their hands on the wheel. They crash because they're not watching the road.

People crash because they are unable to react appropriately at the right time.

For example: if you see a vehicle crossing the centre line into your path, your reaction time to avoid an accident will be far quicker if you have your hands on the wheel.

For example: if you see a vehicle crossing the centre line into your path, your reaction time to avoid an accident will be far quicker if you have your hands on the wheel.

Not to mention the less often reported cases where AP can suddenly make steering inputs when driving next to trucks or guard rails. If your hands aren't already on the wheel, you are much less likely to have the time to both realize and apply corrective input.

Reactions: J1mbo and mblakele
Not to mention the less often reported cases where AP can suddenly make steering inputs when driving next to trucks or guard rails. If your hands aren't already on the wheel, you are much less likely to have the time to both realize and apply corrective input.

This. There have been several times where I've averted AP craziness based on feeling the wheel move before actually seeing and processing what was going on.

Most accidents around here are due to people not paying attention. Accidents also happen when something drives/jumps in front of you, but only a small part.

Only a year ago a semi rammed a stationary car on a road. Turns out he had a dashcam showing the stationary car for over 12 seconds in his field of view, semi only braked the last 0.5 second. Sadly 2 people were killed by that. Should be completely unnecessary, anyone should react within 12 seconds, but obviosly he was paying attention to something else than the road. Sadly that's how most accidents happen...

Reactions: BigD0g