Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 75d vs 100 d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking at buying my first Tesla. I am between two cars and could use your help. One is a 75D with 11,000 miles and 21 inch wheels. The other is a 100 D with 21 inch wheels and 47,000 miles. Everything else were equivalent, which model would be the wiser to get?

All considered I would always go for the biggest battery. All batteries degrade in capacity in time and if you want to sell after say ten years that's very significant even if you don't worry much about range today.
But the car's condition is a big factor anyway!

Same year , both with Pano roof, 75D (11k mikes) is 68,000, 100 D (47k mikes) is 72,000 at a dealership in Texas (but I’ve seen the same exact car with similar miles on sale at Carmax for 81,000 So the seventh 2000 sounds like a good price)
Is there still warranty on either of them? (I had 6mo left on my ‘18 and had front half shafts, front engine mount, both front air struts, 1 headlight and some minor things replaced under warranty, 5k+ Total)

Last edited:
The ten thousand dollar question (technically twelve thousand now) is: Highway Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot or Full Self Driving? The answer to that could mean the difference of $0, $6k or $12k in value.
Which could be hard to answer if the car comes from a 3rd party dealer. If they got if from Tesla via auction it may have EAP or FSD that will be removed after ownership transfer in the app.

Definitely cheaper than buying Model S new. It's always better to purchase as much battery that you can. People will say what they want but, range is King. Now with that said, I owned a 2017 75 RWD for over a year. I loved that car and it was rather quick 4.3. I use to do many day trips where the wife and I would wake up early, make breakfast sandwiches and sit at a charger charging all the way up and head out for the day. It was doable no doubt. Now with more and more S/C across the land, the 75 can work just fine.

There are more concerns to you decision rather than battery size. You have to become the expert now that you are considering a dealer. These may be an auction car if there is no history. If auctioned by Tesla, it may not Super Charge. Remember, GET EVERYTHING in writing. Select car icon on the screen, select software and select additional vehicle information. This will tell you what is really configured on the vehicles.

Last thought, have you considered a new Model Y? You are about in the same ball park amount. Even a Model 3 performance is cheaper. 3.1 sec would be a blast.

I believe the 75 & 100 are the same battery chemistry which is an improvement over the chemistry of the 90. You may be confusing the 70 which was the same chemistry as the 90.
While shopping our Model S, we spoke with Tesla who directly commented that there is different battery chemistry between the 90 and 100 battery packs.

Face value here; I’m merely relaying what I was told.

At the end of the day, get the biggest battery ya can.

While shopping our Model S, we spoke with Tesla who directly commented that there is different battery chemistry between the 90 and 100 battery packs.

Face value here; I’m merely relaying what I was told.

At the end of the day, get the biggest battery ya can.
...which is exactly what I just said but wasn't the part of what you said that I was pushing back against for being inaccurate.

You said that the 100D had better battery chemistry than the 75/90 which isn't the case. The 75kWh is the same chemistry as the 100kWh pack... just fewer cells. It's inaccurate to group the 75kWh pack in with the 90kWh pack because they're not the same chemistry. Regardless of what "someone" at Tesla told you. The 70kWh pack is the same chemistry as the 90kWh pack which is also what I said.

We are in agreement though on buying the biggest battery pack you can. Often times people who have never owned an EV look at the range figure and try to apply it to the longest trips they make when deciding. Once you own one for a while you quickly discover that it's more about the intangibles (read: charge times, frequency you have to plug in, range after years of degradation, etc.) that makes the biggest impact to day-to-day experience as an owner.