Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 long range rwd on board charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just installed wall charge at home. Have been using the umc since 2018 and know the umc will inot charge over 32 amps even with nema 14/50. Wall change will only charge 32/48 amps. When. I plug it in to our Y it charges at 48 amp. I thought only the later SR’s were limited to 32 amps with on board charger. Am I wrong or is there a fault with my 3? Thanks for any help or insight.

Just installed wall charge at home. Have been using the umc since 2018 and know the umc will inot charge over 32 amps even with nema 14/50. Wall change will only charge 32/48 amps. When. I plug it in to our Y it charges at 48 amp. I thought only the later SR’s were limited to 32 amps with on board charger. Am I wrong or is there a fault with my 3? Thanks for any help or insight.

All LR tesla model 3s should be able to charge at 48amps on a wall connector, if the wall connector set for 48amps. There are three separate chargers in the car, 16amps each. I have seen situations where one of those is out. If you are under warranty (new car warranty) you can likely get this fixed under warranty. If you are not, it is not covered under the 8 year battery warranty.

Reactions: TulsaCoker
Uh, it's probably not broken at all. That sounds like it probably is working as intended.
Wall change will only charge 32/48 amps.
OK, so since you see on the display that it says it is using 32A of the 48A available, that shows it is seeing the proper 48A available that the external wall connector has announced.

Want to know why it is only using 32A? It's because of this:
Have been using the umc since 2018 and know the umc will inot charge over 32 amps
So you were charging it at that location with 32A. If you ever adjust the current, the car will set a memorized setting of the current setting at that location. I'll bet it is now set to use 32A at your house's address. When you connected it to something different, it shows 32/48, and you probably need to press the "UP" arrow to turn the current up to use more of that 48A.

When. I plug it in to our Y it charges at 48 amp.
That one probably never charged on the mobile connector at 32A, did it? So it never had a lower current setting used to create that memorized amp setting at your house's address.

But it is possible that one of the modules in the charger has gone out, but I would recommend trying to turn the amps up first as the simpler troubleshooting to see if that does what it's supposed to.

Thanks Rocky I will try what you suggested but think the up arrow (right arrow) is not available to change. Just the left arrow to go down from 48 amps Also our Y we have had since Sept 2020 and its has been using the same UMC at the house. Both 3 & Y share it.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Update: scheduled appointment for them to take a look at the cars On board charger. They performed a remote diagnostics and came back with that RWD cars only max out at 32 amps. I messaged back that it was my understanding that the LR RWD back in the day when they were offered were not limited to 32 like the SR+'s . He re-check and said I was right and set me up for a PCS replacement.