Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 m3 LR. 67000 miles needs $1082 computer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KMCC

Supporting Member
Jul 18, 2019
Ct
My first repair on my 2018 model 3.
Everything was running great we woke up in the morning and the screen was completely blank.

The car drives but that's it, nothing on the screen so we took it to Tesla service and they're saying they need to replace the whole car computer for a total of $1,842!

Does this seem right should there be some sort of repair instead of a total replacement what about any kind of a warranty

It has nothing to do with my driving it's just the faulty part that wore out at 67,000 miles.

I don't want to make a stink because I'm a fanboy but it doesn't seem fair.

If I'm mistaken please let me know

The vehicle warranty that would cover the computer ended at 50,000 miles, so you have to pay to repair/replace it. Tesla doesn't really "repair" a lot of things like the computer, they just swap them out. If you really want to get it repaired, you will need to go to an electronics repair business that is familiar with Teslas.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
So, Could I sign up for full size self driving beta and get The computer replaced for free saving me the $1,800 charge?
That way I would get full soft driving beta ($12,000) And not I have to pay the $1,800 extra for the computer.
And thanks for all the goog advice!
Ken

So, Could I sign up for full size self driving beta and get The computer replaced for free saving me the $1,800 charge?
That way I would get full soft driving beta ($12,000) And not I have to pay the $1,800 extra for the computer.
Ken
So you don’t want to pay $1800 for a computer replacement but you will pay $12,000 for a non-existent software feature? Doesn’t sound like a great strategy to me.

If I were you, I would have the computer repair handled by a 3rd party for a fraction of the price.

Ken

If I understand the question, no. "Signing up for the FSD beta" does not automatically somehow grant you a free computer upgrade. You would have to pay for the computer upgrade, as well as (at a minimum) subscribe to FSD if you dont already have FSD purchased for your car.

I am also not sure why you seem to be thinking its "not fair" as it relates to having to replace the computer out of warranty. Your car is out of warranty. The part failed, it needs to be replaced.

You can feel sad about it failing, which is understandable, but you dont have any ground at all to "raise a stink" about it with anyone other than your luck at having it fail.

If I understand the question, no. "Signing up for the FSD beta" does not automatically somehow grant you a free computer upgrade. You would have to pay for the computer upgrade, as well as (at a minimum) subscribe to FSD if you dont already have FSD purchased for your car.

I am also not sure why you seem to be thinking its "not fair" as it relates to having to replace the computer out of warranty. Your car is out of warranty. The part failed, it needs to be replaced.

You can feel sad about it failing, which is understandable, but you dont have any ground at all to "raise a stink" about it with anyone other than your luck at having it fail.
Thanks for the information I didn't mean to be complaining about it I just thought maybe there was a easier way to fix the computer instead of replacing the whole thing I probably shouldn't have said that I wasn't going to raise a stink because there's no stink to raise