Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD computer Needs to be replaced outside warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 model 3 72k miles in the service center now, issue started with the cameras no longer showing on screen, which obviously disables multiple systems. The initial estimate was fsd computer failure (2k). When I dropped it off Saturday, they said they had to troubleshoot it and the expect it back by Wednesday which I thought was strange since the original hw3 replacement only took 1.5 hours in my driveway. Anyways, get a message Tuesday that they confirmed that the fsd computer needed to be replaced. Wednesday afternoon I asked for an update as that was the original day for completion, SC responded that they were "having issues programming the computer." Which is also strange to me. Has anyone else had an issue with fsd computer failure and what has been the experience with tesla communications on repairs in general?

It depends on the service center. Also, the time it takes to service your car depends on how busy the service center is. When I had my HW2.5 computer upgraded to HW3 (two different cars), the service center kept the cars for a couple of days even though the upgrade doesn’t take that long.

Update, the car is ready, but this is a little disappointing, this is what the tech wrote "
Verified customer's concern. Found alerts present for low coolant. upon inspection found coolant cap missing and coolant level low. Also found multiple alerts in car data logs indicating that the car computer was overheating. Confirmed car computer temperature exceeded specification. Added coolant to vehicle and inspected for leaks. No leaks found at this time. After car computer temperatures returned to normal noted continued poor operation. Reset car computer and noted communication was not restored and functions remained inoperative. Replacement of the car
computer is recommended at this time. Removed and replaced the car computer, verified proper operation."

First, ive never received a low coolant alert and nobodies touched the car other than Tesla when they did the hw3 upgrade. There's no reason to touch the coolant cap, I don't even know where it is, now I'm stuck paying for a replacement computer? Frustrating.

• Informative
Reactions: Adam3
My screen died in my 2018 m3 (out of warranty) and the say it’s the car computer and charging my $1500 for a HW3 computer but my app says FSD computer is only $1000 for upgrade. He told me that’s not the same thing and my bill is now $2200. Is this a lie? Is the FSD upgrade to HW3 the same as replacing my HW2.5 to HW3.0 different from the $1000 upgrade?

We decided to jump on board with the upgrade to do the subscription. Everything went smoothly with the installation and then supposedly when they ran the new system - “coolant valve failure” alert popped up.

There was NO alert that popped up when the vehicle was dropped off and somehow this showed up after the upgrade so now they are asking for customer to pay up since it is out of warranty.

I will be reaching the higher ups to find out more about this, since it seems like between Jim’s post and I we ended up having the same issue.

Attachments

• 0BD3F35C-96D5-42F4-9D9C-7C8D6EB336B2.jpeg
    0BD3F35C-96D5-42F4-9D9C-7C8D6EB336B2.jpeg
    351.7 KB · Views: 142
  • F667F1CB-90AB-4EF1-BC4B-1D91EA3F453A.jpeg
    F667F1CB-90AB-4EF1-BC4B-1D91EA3F453A.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 715BB918-A79D-410E-837E-B837B0B31C93.jpeg
    715BB918-A79D-410E-837E-B837B0B31C93.jpeg
    267.8 KB · Views: 78
My 2018 model 3 72k miles in the service center now, issue started with the cameras no longer showing on screen, which obviously disables multiple systems. The initial estimate was fsd computer failure (2k). When I dropped it off Saturday, they said they had to troubleshoot it and the expect it back by Wednesday which I thought was strange since the original hw3 replacement only took 1.5 hours in my driveway. Anyways, get a message Tuesday that they confirmed that the fsd computer needed to be replaced. Wednesday afternoon I asked for an update as that was the original day for completion, SC responded that they were "having issues programming the computer." Which is also strange to me. Has anyone else had an issue with fsd computer failure and what has been the experience with tesla communications on repairs in general?
Once you're out of warranty they'll charge you down to the bolts. Its ridiculous. I went there today for another issue and now they're trying to blame it on water damage from rainfall when the issue has happened before under poor inclement weather conditions. Its just the same thing where the cameras all go blank and the GPS gets frozen. They could have tried hard resetting the 12V, but they took absolutely no action and I had to drive the car out of there because I'm worried they'll claim the whole car is totalled or charge me $10,000 for a new computer or battery.

Have to wait for another service appointment now or maybe it will fix itself overnight as it has done in the past.