Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model P3D+ pricing for private dealer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I wanted to know what you all think about this deal that I am negotiating for a P3D from a private dealer in Atlanta. Car built in Oct 2018, has about 9K miles on it. Has FSD already purchased but Tesla has not done the upgrade at the service center yet. It has white interior and exterior, Premium audio and Premium interior w/ heated rear seats, homelink, 20" wheels. Here is the big caveat...it has a branded title as lemon/buyback. The dealer sent me the certified paperwork from Tesla showing that it had "3 repeat repairs for traction control alerts" and that it was repaired by replacing the steering column rack. This paperwork is signed 01/09/2020. Do you think this is a good deal at $48,500? I also need to but a new wall charger which appears to be about $500 since the car does not have one with it. I drove it today and took it to the Tesla Service Center and they confirmed all of this and printed out the paperwork. The dealer was not aware that the car had FSD enabled so they are not negotiating any further than the $48,500. Also, it has a feature listed as "SC00 - No access to Supercharger Network". I assume that means Supercharging is not included but I can still use them once an account is registered and car is transferred to me...anyone know for sure? Thanks for your advice!

Reactions: 1375mlm
I’d first check with your insurance company of any special provision on insuring a branded title car. Branded title may be grouped as salvage title.
Another pain for you will be when you sell the car in future. If you plan to keep forever, this may not be a non-issue. Most buyers want clean titles.
Price is meh for branded title car. I’ve seen Perf models for low 50’s with clean titles. Tho, I also appreciate $5 -6k more is just that much more out of pocket. So, factor all these into your decision and see what works for you.

Reactions: 1375mlm
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't found a low mile P3D+ with FSD for less than 56-57K but I am sure they surface from time to time. I want to make sure I have a good run of warranty left thus the low miles. USAA didn't seem to care about the title being a buyback and the loan rate was all good. It's definitely a risk tho and one not to take lightly! Thanks, again.

The service center (went in person) verified that not only will they add the FSD SW and HW that was already paid for, but add the rear spoiler that was not attached at delivery (he said there was a period when they had to deliver P3Ds without the spoiler), as well as two other fixes that are recalls. I need to verify the Supercharger access tomorrow but I think they turned access off because there is no Tesla owner profile attached to the car at the moment as it was in auction. We will see! It drives like a dream. I cannot believe the acceleration and handling of this car. Coming from a Model S P85 RWD, it's a real big step up!

OP... since it has a branded, buyback title, have you checked with tesla to see what (if any) warranty is with the car? My guess is, buyback = no more warranty. Also, "No supercharger access" should be verified as to what that actually means, not what "you think" it means. It also could mean exactly what it says.... that the vin you have, will not be allowed to charge from a supercharger, ever.

I personally would not touch that with 20 foot pole, but I am not one who would buy a Lemon'ed car from ANY dealer. If it went far enough through the process to actually be a lemon return, with branded title, I would want zero part of it , at any price. The car already has a history of the manufacturer being unable to fix it, so I wouldnt trust that it was fixed "now". If it was that easy for them to fix, it wouldnt have been lemon lawed....

People get intoxicated by the low price of lemon lawed cars, but in my opinion they are never a good deal... unless YOU are a mechanic and can fix it yourself.

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke
Tesla is notorious for not touching these vehicles. Once a car is blacklisted, these are possibilities.

Can you live with?
No software updates
No smart phone access (M3 is keyless)
No Supercharger access
No Tesla service support, they won’t even swap wiper blades
Potentially future value could take a huge hit

There could be more. Since it has FSD, there’s a chance this could be limited by not getting updates.

Is that worth a few grand to get a “cheap Tesla”? I wouldn’t touch it

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke
I think I’ve seen this car at the Marietta Service center in the past - had a private dealer lot tag on it. It’s a good looking car.

The most important questions can only be answered by Tesla - I’m not even sure I’d trust verbal confirmation from a service center associate. I want something confirmed in writing from Tesla that clarify the following:

1. Warranty.
2. Supercharging capability.
3. Isn’t black listed from updates, etc.
4. The service center is allowed to do what they told you they would do.

1) If it is what you think (want?) it to be, it seems like a great car—buy it and have fun.
2) If it has any of the issues outlined directly above, run away (fast and far). As a prior/current Tesla owner, you know how important the updates, supercharging and warranty/support are so this should be easy to do. Good luck and please let us know what you find out. Finally, if at all possible, get your responses in writing as others have suggested—there’s too much at stake to risk this on a verbal ok.

That's interesting you saw it at the service center. It was probably there before going to auction...about what date was that? It was auctioned around Jan 9 from what I can tell.

I have the Tesla configuration print-out for this car and it lists that all 3 warranties are active and car received an OTA update last night and is on the latest software. The service center in Marietta has a confirmed service appt scheduled for Feb 3 to add the HW/SW for FSD, add the spoiler that was missed at deliver, and perform 2 recall fixes. This was all scheduled under warranty by the dealer.

I am hopefully confirming today on the Supercharging access but the Tesla tech support agent this morning said it would be highly unlikely that it was somehow blacklisted. She said that is usually reserved for cars that are 2012-2013 that no longer have the appropriate charging hardware (?). Great idea to get it in writing too.

OP... since it has a branded, buyback title, have you checked with tesla to see what (if any) warranty is with the car? My guess is, buyback = no more warranty. Also, "No supercharger access" should be verified as to what that actually means, not what "you think" it means. It also could mean exactly what it says.... that the vin you have, will not be allowed to charge from a supercharger, ever.

I personally would not touch that with 20 foot pole, but I am not one who would buy a Lemon'ed car from ANY dealer. If it went far enough through the process to actually be a lemon return, with branded title, I would want zero part of it , at any price. The car already has a history of the manufacturer being unable to fix it, so I wouldnt trust that it was fixed "now". If it was that easy for them to fix, it wouldnt have been lemon lawed....

People get intoxicated by the low price of lemon lawed cars, but in my opinion they are never a good deal... unless YOU are a mechanic and can fix it yourself.

This is completely false.

Lemons/buybacks have the full remainder of the manufacturer warranty when resold (that is law in all 50 states).

I have a P3D buyback due to "fit and finish" problems. I paid $44,800 and the "problem" was a door ding to the car made in transport which Tesla could not get fixed within the 30-day buyback period, so they had to buy the car back. The car has the full remainder of the warranty, access to supercharging, etc.

The only issue I have is that Tesla removed EAP from the car and set it to Basic Autopilot. They say they have that right because they resold it and I don't have a monroney sticker to prove the sold-as specs are different than the current car configuration.

• Informative
Reactions: Shadious
Tesla is notorious for not touching these vehicles. Once a car is blacklisted, these are possibilities.

Can you live with?
No software updates
No smart phone access (M3 is keyless)
No Supercharger access
No Tesla service support, they won’t even swap wiper blades
Potentially future value could take a huge hit

There could be more. Since it has FSD, there’s a chance this could be limited by not getting updates.

Is that worth a few grand to get a “cheap Tesla”? I wouldn’t touch it

So much false speculation here. Buyback cars have all of the above:
1) Full software updates (I'm on THE LATEST version out there)
2) My phone pairs just fine with the car and acts as a key
3) My car has supercharger access and I was recently at a V3 supercharger and it was pulling 250 kw just fine.
4) My car is 100% supported by Tesla. The full remainder (3 years in my case) of the original warranty is in effect.

Stop spreading FUD and stop confusing Lemon buyback for SALVAGE title cars. Salvage title cars Tesla essentially abandons. Lemon/buyback cars Tesla BY LAW must continue to support for the remainder of the manufacturer warranty (from the original sales date).

I think I’ve seen this car at the Marietta Service center in the past - had a private dealer lot tag on it. It’s a good looking car.

The most important questions can only be answered by Tesla - I’m not even sure I’d trust verbal confirmation from a service center associate. I want something confirmed in writing from Tesla that clarify the following:

1. Warranty.
2. Supercharging capability.
3. Isn’t black listed from updates, etc.
4. The service center is allowed to do what they told you they would do.

Exactly. Take the car to a service center, and ask them the above questions. They can even print out the current "configuration" for you because you likely won't have the Monroney Sticker.

@dobie - what was the reason for the Lemon/Buyback? By law, this must be disclosed to every owner of the car (so if you buy the car, keep the lemon disclosure).

Mine was "fit and finish" that turned out to be a door ding. The same dealer had another lemon (Tesla is selling these at auction in Atlanta, so that is why there are multiple in that area) for "HV problems". I obviously would not touch a car with a history of HV problems, but a door ding . . . I was all over that. $400 later my paintless dent repair guy had that ding out and I was one happy camper with my nicely discounted, still under warranty, P3D.

• Love
Reactions: alloverx
This has become an interesting thread! It's a good education if anything. I agree if this had anything to do with the battery or motors I would not have even looked at the car. The Tesla Disclosure Statement lists the only issue as "3 Repeat Repairs to Traction Control Alerts" and the repair to correct it is listed as "steering column rack replaced". I think this was the car you saw in Marietta. It was sent late August to determine it's fate and then auctioned to this dealer in early January.

Sorry to hear about the Autopilot. I guess I need to double check on that too. The config print out that the service center gave me lists the options including
"AutoPilot_Hardware: V2 hardware + PASCAL ECU (APH3)";
"AutoPilot_Firmware: Premium AutoPilot Firmware (APF2)";
"AutoPilot: $APPB";
"AutoPilot: $APF2"

Reactions: pl8dlikafiddle