Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model S 100D shortcomings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently went from a 2020 Model 3 performance to a 2018 Model S 100D for a change after 2.5 years. While I’m happy with model S as it has so many obvious benefits over model 3 that I’m not going to get into. Here are some features that are annoying me:

1. No blind spot camera that opens with turn signal. I got so used to the feature and I don’t understand why 2018 model S can’t have that with a software upgrade.

2. Auto hold when you leave acceleration. M3 would come to a stop and engage auto hold so you wouldn’t have to worry about keeping the brakes on. MS to my surprise does not have that and the brakes needs to be manually pressed (harder) to engage the hold.

3. In the 2018 Model S I can’t remotely access the cameras through my app like I used to be able to from the 2020 Model 3

4. Using phone as key and not have to worry about carrying a key fob - i got used to not carrying a key for M3 and it would just be in my wallet and my phone would be the key. Now I need to worry about carrying the key fob.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

I get that but something like the blind spot camera could just be a software upgrade, hardware exists, cameras are there left and right. What am I missing there?
For some unknown reason, Tesla decided not to implement blind spot cameras in S until 2021. It does appear the hardware would support. Maybe because of the vertical screen orientation which was changed to horizontal in 2021.

I get that but something like the blind spot camera could just be a software upgrade, hardware exists, cameras are there left and right. What am I missing there?

As someone who had a 2016 S, any software update, regardless of any new features became very few and far between after five years. Sure, everything is just software features, but they run on hardware that can be quite different.

A 2018 S could have MCU1 or MCU2, and (camera) HW2, HW2.5, or HW3.0, depending on when in 2018 it shipped, and whether it received hardware upgrades for FSD capabilities. While more current models have MCU3 and maybe HW4 - it seems like MCU3 was the earliest when this feature was implemented in Model S....

Reactions: pilotSteve
1. No blind spot camera that opens with turn signal. I got so used to the feature and I don’t understand why 2018 model S can’t have that with a software upgrade.
Not sure anyone knows but Tesla didn't add it to software..
2. Auto hold when you leave acceleration. M3 would come to a stop and engage auto hold so you wouldn’t have to worry about keeping the brakes on. MS to my surprise does not have that and the brakes needs to be manually pressed (harder) to engage the hold.
Induction vs permanent magnet drive units
Starting with Raven 2019+, it should be able to do
3. In the 2018 Model S I can’t remotely access the cameras through my app like I used to be able to from the 2020 Model 3
i'm disappointed in this too
not sure why its not done/can't be done
4. Using phone as key and not have to worry about carrying a key fob - i got used to not carrying a key for M3 and it would just be in my wallet and my phone would be the key. Now I need to worry about carrying the key fob.
different technology, hardware is not there for that function...

• Informative
Reactions: kevinf311
It's technically possible but I think the reason is that the vertical screen platform is not worth developing further for Tesla. Relatively few cars with it and they are all old.
i sort of get it
but any cellphone/tablet/laptop these days can support portrait/landscape modes plus many resolutions
so i don't think its a hard thing to add to software
would love to know the true reason behind it...

Reactions: KArnold
To be honest, I have noticed my main screen chugging a little when transitioning or displaying the car overview when previously it was lightening fast. If tesla need to free up memory they should simply give us the option to lose all the necessary stuff like games and easter eggs etc. not the farts though, i would like more range of fart sounds

• Funny
Reactions: WilberDaForce
For some unknown reason, Tesla decided not to implement blind spot cameras in S until 2021. It does appear the hardware would support. Maybe because of the vertical screen orientation which was changed to horizontal in 2021.
I think it was that the older M/X have 100mbs link and model 3 and the others had 1gbs. Something like that. Ive read it on reddit like a week ago.

I recently went from a 2020 Model 3 performance to a 2018 Model S 100D for a change after 2.5 years. While I’m happy with model S as it has so many obvious benefits over model 3 that I’m not going to get into. Here are some features that are annoying me:

Anyone else in a similar situation?
Interesting comp, and as others have said, it probably is what it is for a six-year-old vehicle even with OTA software updates.

However, I’d find it equally interesting to read your comments on the top five or ten “obvious benefits” you’ve found in the 2018 MS vs. a 2020 M3. For example, I’ve only once even been inside a MS, never driven one, likely will never, but find the comps fascinating.

When we switched from our 2018 MX to the 2023 in August, there were about 50 different items I could point to that was improved over 5 years including features that are still not in the new M3. One thing that comes to mind was how clear the new HW4 cameras were over the 2018 hardware. The keyfob was a mute point for my wife still uses a keyfob on her new X but, she's old school. If I had a little more disposable income, I would buy an older MS. I really loved driving them when they were used as a loaner. It reminds me of driving an old classic, Just a great feeling driving a vintage Tesla.

Nothing really of substance to add from me but the blind spot thing made me chuckle because going from a 2015 Model S to a (loaner) Model 3 I was unhappy to discover that the one landscape screen did not easily accommodate my Model S preferences of always having the backup camera displayed.

When I first got the Model S I realized that it, like most newer sedans and SUVs, are just one gigantic rolling blind spot due to the thickness of the pillars. With the S, its haunches exacerbate the effect a little bit and the seats + low roof line make the rear view mirror fairly useless. So in customizing what applications I would have displayed, I was delighted to see that I could keep the backup camera displayed 100% of the time and just used that as another tool in my "check blind spots" toolbox.

The turn-signal blind spot camera pop-ups in the 3 are very nice, but not having that always-on rear camera felt limiting to me. I found that the camera would stay on if I brought it up, but at the cost of every other screen element on the 3.

I expect you'll come to love the S, though. I know I do! 😄

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston