Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model S Gen 3 door handle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Model S 75 D Gen 3 door handle quit.
I replaced my Gen 3 door handle with a new Gen 3 door handle and control module. New door handle installed with no issue. However new door handle won’t auto present, but when I push on the handle the door does open. Does this require a calibration/firmware update, or was I sold a defective part?

This has been a useful thread for me -- it's great to see how to get access to service mode, to facilitate door handle calibration.

Unfortunately it hasn't made things any better: the result is "calibration has failed, please try again". My driver's side door handle still won't present (I can get the door to open only by pressing on the handle).

I know there are multiple ways the door handles can fail. Even so: is there any knowledge on what the problem is likely to be, in this particular situation? (i.e, door handle doesn't present, door opens when handle is pressed, calibration "fails", there's a "whirring sound" lasting for a few seconds coming from the handle).

Upvote 0
This has been a useful thread for me -- it's great to see how to get access to service mode, to facilitate door handle calibration.

Unfortunately it hasn't made things any better: the result is "calibration has failed, please try again". My driver's side door handle still won't present (I can get the door to open only by pressing on the handle).

I know there are multiple ways the door handles can fail. Even so: is there any knowledge on what the problem is likely to be, in this particular situation? (i.e, door handle doesn't present, door opens when handle is pressed, calibration "fails", there's a "whirring sound" lasting for a few seconds coming from the handle).
Exact same symptoms I'm having. I initially thought it was the paddle gear so I ordered one last week and proceeded to take my door apart today. However, the paddle gear was intact so I did some more researching. Now I think it's a cracked motor gear. Anyone know where I can purchase a new one? I see some on ebay used but given the known problems these experience within a few years I am hesitant to go that route.

Upvote 0
Thanks, this is great! I’ve accessed the service menu but I can’t find the calibration option for the doors. I can only calibrate the sunroof. Am I missing something? ( firmware is 2023.7.30 24f9b9feb1c4).

The issue I’m having, btw,is while the handle presents normally, the door doesn’t unlatch when pulled. The issue is intermittent and only happens when the car has been sitting in the hot sun. Sometimes it will open if I apply a lot of pressure and kinda rock the handle left to right.

I haven’t seen anyone else mention a relationship between this issue and temperature before. It first happened last year and the technician just replaced the handle and dismissed any idea of recalibrating the door. Now that it’s happened again less than a year later I’m thinking that there’s nothing actually wrong with the part.

Upvote 0
Exact same symptoms I'm having. I initially thought it was the paddle gear so I ordered one last week and proceeded to take my door apart today. However, the paddle gear was intact so I did some more researching. Now I think it's a cracked motor gear. Anyone know where I can purchase a new one? I see some on ebay used but given the known problems these experience within a few years I am hesitant to go that route.
Cracked motor gear it was

• Informative
Reactions: GWord
Upvote 0
2018 Model S 75 D Gen 3 door handle quit.
I replaced my Gen 3 door handle with a new Gen 3 door handle and control module. New door handle installed with no issue. However new door handle won’t auto present, but when I push on the handle the door does open. Does this require a calibration/firmware update, or was I sold a defective part?
Any new hardware installed onto the vehicle should have gone through any calibrations during service, Raise this via the app for the mobile service to come and diagnose the issue.

Upvote 0