Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD Totaled Or Fixable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a weird thread, I’ve read it twice and still confused.
  • Wife agreed to let someone tow the car, but the husband was driving.
  • Insurance company sent $10,000 to repair the car, but people think the car is going to be totaled. What?
  • After paying the body shop $10k the car is going to be moved to another shop for repairs? Highly unlikely.
  • The OP is responsible for the third tow. Of course, but what was the 2nd tow?
  • The rental car doesn’t have collision coverage. Of course not, the drivers insurance covers the rental car.
  • The repair shop claimed at the scene of the accident to repair Tesla’s. The repair shop was at the accident scene?
  • The at fault insurance company denied the claim. Who sent the $10k?
  • No one answered the phone at State Farm for a week. Did you call the number on your insurance card? It goes to a call center.
  • Fifteen days after the accident the OP is going to advise insurance of the selected repair facility. That ship has sailed, should have been done day two at the latest.
IMG_1880.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC and afadeev
She came the the scene in our other car. IT happened a 5 to 10 minute walk from home.
  • Insurance company sent $10,000 to repair the car, but people think the car is going to be totaled. What?
I'm not adjuster, however if it possible IMO that it can still be considered totaled if more issues are found during the repair process.
  • After paying the body shop $10k the car is going to be moved to another shop for repairs? Highly unlikely.
I was at first concerned about Tesla warranty (moving it to a certified shop) not now I know the warranty was voided by the accident.
  • The shop won’t release the car until the bill is paid. Someone is surprised a business has to be paid for services?
I did not say I was surprised.
the car was towed from the accident scene and to the Towing companies facility (2 miles from the scene) and then towed the next day to the shop. I was told by the person who works for the shop it would get towed directly to the shop (another lie I was told at the scene)
  • The rental car doesn’t have collision coverage. Of course not, the drivers insurance covers the rental car.
I don't rent cars so the whole rental experience is new to me. I've now learned how it works.
  • The repair shop claimed at the scene of the accident to repair Tesla’s. The repair shop was at the accident scene?
A person that works for the repair shop listened to police radio and drove to the scene.
At fault driver filed claim with person insurance company. They declined because they were driving for Lyft at the time so the claim was moved to Lyft insurance (Lyft insurance cut the check).
  • No one answered the phone at State Farm for a week. Did you call the number on your insurance card? It goes to a call center.
Yes. I called the number on my card, I called every number I can find and was directed to the adjuster handling my claim.
  • Fifteen days after the accident the OP is going to advise insurance of the selected repair facility. That ship has sailed, should have been done day two at the latest.
I agree.

Well folks. this is the last time I'm posting here. Clearly this website is full of dicks. My apologies to the wonderful people here that don't fit that description. I'm out.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: KenC and afadeev
She came the the scene in our other car. IT happened a 5 to 10 minute walk from home.
I'm not adjuster, however if it possible IMO that it can still be considered totaled if more issues are found during the repair process.
I was at first concerned about Tesla warranty (moving it to a certified shop) not now I know the warranty was voided by the accident.
  • The shop won’t release the car until the bill is paid. Someone is surprised a business has to be paid for services?
I did not say I was surprised.
the car was towed from the accident scene and to the Towing companies facility (2 miles from the scene) and then towed the next day to the shop. I was told by the person who works for the shop it would get towed directly to the shop (another lie I was told at the scene)
I don't rent cars so the whole rental experience is new to me. I've now learned how it works.
A person that works for the repair shop listened to police radio and drove to the scene.
At fault driver filed claim with person insurance company. They declined because they were driving for Lyft at the time so the claim was moved to Lyft insurance (Lyft insurance cut the check).
Yes. I called the number on my card, I called every number I can find and was directed to the adjuster handling my claim.
I agree.

Well folks. this is the last time I'm posting here. Clearly this website is full of dicks. My apologies to the wonderful people here that don't fit that description. I'm out.
Sorry, you asked questions here but they don’t make sense.

I’m still confused, you called State Farm 10 times a day for 7 days and they never answered the phone. How did they know you had an accident?

At this point, 15 days after the accident, car repairs are pretty much out of your hands.

Sorry, you asked questions here but they don’t make sense.

Yep.
A lot of fishy details coming from OP, one after another.
The more I read the story, the less sense it makes.

But since he thinks we are all d*cks for pointing that out, I won't miss him.

a

P.S.: He got into an accident, and dumps towing/repair selection on his wife? Really?
P.P.S.: On the other hand, OP is from FloriduHhhh.... This would all start making sense if his first name was Mickey, and last one was Mouse.

I know I said I wouldn't post anymore. But I think it's important for others to know about my experience. Writing from my phone right now so can't get into details because writing from a phone is not optimal But I will post more info about this soon. A warning to those who may not know about predators that listen to police radios and show up at accident scenes.

P.S.: He got into an accident, and dumps towing/repair selection on his wife? Really?

For clarification I did not "dump towing/repair selection" on my wife. I superficially said she accepted the assistance of a gentleman that seemed on the up and up on the scene. both of our names are on the car. She didn't want it towed by the city and rather than wait (like I suggested) until we can get our insurance company on the line (which I eventually couldn't). I ultimately agreed with the tow & selected repair shop so it's not just on her. I made the mistake of writing it that way because I didn't anticipate such a childish and brain dead audience to jump to conclusions rather than ask for clarifications.

I’m still confused, you called State Farm 10 times a day for 7 days and they never answered the phone. How did they know you had an accident?

The claim was originally filed with Progressive. Progressive learned that their at fault policy holder was driving for Lyft. Lyft uses state farm. A claim was established with Lyft under state farm. I am a policy holder of state farm. As such when I called state farm and eventually get anyone on the phone they direct me to the Lyft claim under state farm. Even after I demanded I speak with state farm under my own policy. And said Lyft state farm agent was unreachable (voicemail every single time).

At this point, 15 days after the accident, car repairs are pretty much out of your hands.

BTW this statement turned out to be false. The vehicle is now at a different shop (because the other one was clearly ambulance chasing) and the process has started again, this time the claim has been moved to the total loss department. I'm sure this post will somehow come off fishy to your pea brain. I can't help that.

BTW this statement turned out to be false. The vehicle is now at a different shop (because the other one was clearly ambulance chasing) and the process has started again, this time the claim has been moved to the total loss department. I'm sure this post will somehow come off fishy to your pea brain. I can't help that.
Not sure why you’re attacking me, I simply asked some questions. Frankly, I’m more confused than ever.
  • You said insurance cut a check to shop 1 for repairs. Not a total.
  • More than two weeks after the vehicle was moved to shop 2. Now it’s a total. What changed?
  • But repairs are in your hands. Did you buy it back from insurance?

• You said insurance cut a check to shop 1 for repairs. Not a total.

They cut a check for the estimated repairs while it was at the questionable repair shop (that had it sit in the front of their shop untouched for 18 days, didn't attempt to charge it or anything. Just took pictures and sent it to the assigned claims appraiser at the time.
  • More than two weeks after the vehicle was moved to a second shop. Now it’s a total. What changed?
The Tesla certified shop took one look at it and said the car is totaled. It is currently in what they described as tear down which will take five days but they've seen damaged similar to this before with a less of an impact get totaled due to underlined damage.
  • But repairs are in your hands. Did you buy it back from insurance?

No, I did not buy it back from the insurance company. The claim has not been completed. No settlement money has been received. The check that was cut was for the estimated repairs received from the questionable shop. The current shop couldn't believe the car wasn't deemed a total loss by State Farms estimator based on the pictures (being that they are supposed to be professionals in the field). I honestly have no idea why they'd cut a check for the estimate repairs provided by the previous (scummy) shop but the Claims adjuster stated that it is normal practice and that if more damage is found down the line they may ultimately determine that the car is a total loss. Upon them cutting a check for repairs I requested the car be moved at that stage (whcih I had to pay for since the scummy shop attempted to charge them $4500 for taking pictures and having the car site in the same spot their tow truck company left it. They didn't touch he car and didn't even put it behind their fence. It set there for a whole week before I was finally able to get the state farm adjuster on the phone for the first time. I also was unable to work that whole week because I was not able to secure a rental. It was a mess.

BTW - The current shop was kind enough to accept the estimate & pick up where the previous shop left off however once they received the vehicle they were just as confused as the people reading my story here, on why it wasn't deemed a total loss immediately. They said this sort of damage is far from new to appraisers. I asked State farm to void the check and that I will shred it upon receipt based on this new information. We'll see how this goes.

BTW my children where in the car with me, thus why I'm returning rudeness with rudeness.

Not sure why you’re attacking me, I simply asked some questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
You said insurance cut a check to shop 1 for repairs. Not a total.

Let me rephrase my answer a little. I think I get what you're asking. They cut a check for 10k to me, in my name only. They paid the shop directly for the two tows they charged and that was it. They then (rightfully) refused to pay their other ridiculous fees. The scummy shop wasn't getting a dime from me and they knew it after I chewed them out for lying about working on Tesla's, lying about the car getting towed directly to their shop and then charging for two tows, and other stuff like claiming they have the 10-30 outlet at the shop for my mobile charger and then later saying they couldn't charge the car because they don't have the port (as If I wasn't going keep their text messages claiming otherwise). I threatened to report them to the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services and all of a sudden all those other fees vanished.

Last edited:

I forgot a detail. Progressive initiated the State Farm claim under Lyfts policy. When Progressive told us about them declining the claim they provided us with the Claim number they had already established under Lyft's policy. This leading to the issues explained above about only being directed to that claim # and not getting the agent on the line for a week.

Hope that helps.

The rental car doesn’t have collision coverage. Of course not, the drivers insurance covers the rental car.

I'd like to go into this a little . Here is what the issue was. The rental car caught a flat, and rightfully requires the tire be replaced. If my car wasn't damaged by the at fault driver I wouldn't be getting a rental car in the first place. In fact State Farm booked this vehicle not me so they are responsible for the rental vehicle IMO. Prior to my car being damaged I had absolutely no desire or need for a rental vehicle even much less so Hertz rental coverage. From my prospective I'm still in my car ya dig? I made this case with both State Farm and Hertz and State farm simply rebooked another car and somehow magically took care of the flat situation. Now if it was an actual collision with me being at fault that's a different story. I'd highly likely be on the hook for that. a flat tire though? Nah GTFO.

Yep, towing companies monitor police scanners and race to get to your disabled vehicle. It seems like a service, but it can also be pretty scammy.

I would also point out that it was hard to read some of the long paragraphs of explanation. It can be confusing, and not everyone has the time to parse out the details, so there's lots of confusion potential for people reading the posts. Personally, I need lots of pictures! As one gets older, stories with pictures becomes a thing again.

When I saw the original 2 photos, all I can think is, dang, so close to making it thru the intersection before being clouted by an idiot. Then again, it was on your right rear. It's a cautionary tale, but I think people should always be looking for crossing idiots. I teach the kids, at an intersection always look left as you start to cross, then look right as you approach halfway across. Better safe than sorry, because you never know who's trying to run a light or stop sign.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gospel
I would also point out that it was hard to read some of the long paragraphs of explanation. It can be confusing, and not everyone has the time to parse out the details, so there's lots of confusion potential for people reading the posts.

I understand and agree with the potential, but I don't necessarily concur with my story being labeled as dubious, along with assumptions made about my character. While it's reasonable to find the explanation confusing, my response to these mischaracterizations is equally reasonable.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC