Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD Totaled Or Fixable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, another one of those threads. What say you? Totaled or fixable?
PXL_20240127_211426305.jpg
PXL_20240127_211446486.jpg

The incident occurred at a 4-way stop; the driver who was at fault ignored the stop sign and collided with me at approximately 30 MPH while I was crossing the intersection. The initial damage estimate is $10,000. However, there's a concern: my car was towed to a non-Tesla certified shop because my wife accepted assistance from someone monitoring police radios. Attempts to move it to a certified shop were met with the demand for payment for two additional tows by the insurance, leaving me responsible for a third tow's cost(?). The rental vehicle provided by the at fault insurance company doesn't have collision or road side coverage. Learned this when it got a flat. But the at fault insurance company booked another vehicle for me to turn this one in so I'll be finding out what happens when that time arrives. No idea what to expect out of all of this.

Almost definitely totaled, but certainly fixable! It's remains will likely be shipped overseas and repaired.

Shipped over seas? Interesting. Well I for one hope it's deemed a total loss. I'm not looking forward to dealing with the circus of having the shop that did the estimates hand it over to a tesla certified shop who would like not accept their estimate. I'd probably have to pay for that.

Another thing I'm concerned about is I was heading to a supercharger as I was approaching 20% when the accident occurred. The shop was given the mobile charger the next day but my app shows the car at 0% charge for 14 days straight. o_O

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Strange. The insurance company cut a check for the repair estimate. An estimate that doesn't even include a teardown of the car to check for underlying issues. I called and they said it is normal that they send payment for the estimate to get things moving along and if more damage is found they will send more payment. It makes no sense to me, what if the hidden damage is enough to total the car? I suppose they plan to repair it anyway in hopes to sell the car to recoup the loss? I'm confused.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Strange. The insurance company cut a check for the repair estimate. An estimate that doesn't even include a teardown of the car to check for underlying issues. I called and they said it is normal that they send payment for the estimate to get things moving along and if more damage is found they will send more payment. It makes no sense to me, what if the hidden damage is enough to total the car? I suppose they plan to repair it anyway in hopes to sell the car to recoup the loss? I'm confused.
Don't cash any check yet until you are satisfied with the total amount. Read the fine print on the letter that comes with the check. Make sure you are not waiving any future claims by cashing the check. Do not trust anything said on the phone, only trust what you can get written.

Did they send an estimator yet? Usually they don't start sending checks until they send an estimator who does an initial estimate of possible repair costs (and whether the car will end up being totaled).

• Helpful
Reactions: FatM3 and Gospel
Did they send an estimator yet? Usually they don't start sending checks until they send an estimator who does an initial estimate of possible repair costs (and whether the car will end up being totaled).

Yes. The shop conducted a virtual estimate by sending photos at the estimator's request. However, the estimate lacks details on structural or internal damage. State Farm said the 10k payment is for the repairs (to get things moving along) and if more damages are discovered either more money would be sent or the car will be totaled. My next step is to transfer the car to a certified repair shop. State Farm is aware of how the car ended up with this one and suggested their in network shops. The understanding at the time was that since they already have the car, allow them to do the estimate to see if the car is a total loss and if not, the car will be moved to a Tesla certified shop. Today I'll be informing my insurance about my selected shop, settle any charges with the current shop, and arrange for the car's relocation. It's been 15 days, and the vehicle still hasn't been charged because the shop lacks the appropriate outlet for my mobile charger, despite their initial claim at the accident scene of handling Teslas. I have a feeling this shop is going to be a royal pain.

For the record I attempted to relocate the car immediately, but the shop insisted on payment from the at-fault driver's insurance for two tows and labor costs, which the adjuster deemed above market rate. The adjuster specified their liability covers only two tows, leaving me responsible for any further towing to a new shop. Given the car appears to be a total loss, I questioned the value of paying for additional towing, opting instead to let the current shop complete the estimate, assuming even they couldn't err in assessing an evident total loss. I was wrong. :rolleyes:

For the record I attempted to relocate the car immediately, but the shop insisted on payment from the at-fault driver's insurance for two tows and labor costs, which the adjuster deemed above market rate.

Attempted doesn't count.
You either got it towed (and payed for it), or you didn't.
So you did not. And now you are stuck. The car will absolutely get repaired where it gets torn down.

Note - this was your choice, through inaction.

The adjuster specified their liability covers only two tows, leaving me responsible for any further towing to a new shop.

Sounds immensely reasonable.
The alternative is insurance companies subsidizing towing companies ad infimum.

Given the car appears to be a total loss,

No such thing is given.
The ONLY opinion that matter is that of the insurance adjuster. And it looks like yours says it will get repaired.

I questioned the value of paying for additional towing, opting instead to let the current shop complete the estimate,

Like I said above - your choice!

assuming even they couldn't err in assessing an evident total loss. I was wrong. :rolleyes:

Evidently, you are not an insurance adjuster.
The opinion of anyone else is irrelevant. Including yours.
:rolleyes:

Time to relax, and enjoy the multi-month wild ride that is Tesla body shop repairs.
a

Attempted doesn't count.
You either got it towed (and payed for it), or you didn't.

The at fault drivers insurance company refused to pay $1000 tow for a 2 mile trip. $1000? I don't blame them. And if they think that's a lot (which I agree) you think I'm going to pay for that? :) Shop wasn't releasing the car until they are paid. So rather than have the Tesla sit there (uncharged at 0% mind you) while everyone argued over an obvious overcharge my only option was to have them move things along and get the estimate part complete. You are right about my not being an insurance adjuster though. ;)

The situation with my car ending up at that particular shop unfolded due to an inability to reach anyone at State Farm by phone on the day of the accident and for the entire following week, despite my efforts of calling ten times daily. The incident itself was clear-cut, with the at-fault driver acknowledging their fault immediately. We initiated a claim with their insurer, right at the accident scene. Despite waiting for two hours for police to arrive, after the fire department had come and gone, they never showed up. A representative from the auto shop where my car ultimately was taken happened to be on-site, having monitored police radios. He persistently recommended his shop, claiming expertise with Teslas and discouraging us from using Tesla's services due to long wait times, emphasizing their professionalism and readiness to assist.

Given no other choice, as leaving my car in the street would either result in it being towed by the city or requiring me to arrange for a tow myself, I agreed to have it taken to his shop, especially since I was unable to get through to my insurance company at the time. The day following the accident, I was informed by the at-fault driver's insurance, that they were denying the claim due to the driver being on a Lyft job at the time of the accident, redirecting me to another agent within my own insurer. It took an entire week to make contact with this agent, during which I was repeatedly sent to voicemail after being redirected from my usual insurance office. Meanwhile, my car started to accumulate storage fees at the shop, costs that the insurance company currently states they would not cover because they aren't liable to pay.

All this happening while we have to get our kids to school, wife & myself to work and two of my working kids (one with a license) to work with one car. We were able to secure a rental vehicle from the at fault insurance company (again same as my insurance company) a week after the date of the incident.

Fun times. :p

Today, my plan is to engage in discussions with both the auto shop and adjuster to seek a resolution. My strategy involves leveraging the shop's text messages, which inaccurately claimed they had all necessary resources to service Teslas—a point clearly disproven by their inability to charge my vehicle for 18 days. I'll hint at the possibility of consulting a lawyer and potentially pursuing legal action if it emerges that my battery suffered damage due to their negligence. Concurrently, I aim to persuade the insurance company to cover any concessions offered by the shop. Additionally, I'm willing to compromise by covering the towing costs myself to an in network shop for the insurance company, hoping this gesture will facilitate an agreement that benefits all parties involved. I hope this works. I just want to get back to life.