Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 V3 supercharging issue.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went on my first trip with the car since 250kw chargers have become a thing. My very first stop I was excited to see 250kw but that was short lived, at around 35% SOC the output went from 250 to 45kw. It then slowly climbed back up to around 80kw at 50% and charged between 60-80kw until I was ready to make my next stop. OAT was 75F, so it really wasn't that hot.
Had a, not exact, but similar experience the next two stops of my trip.
On the way home, my first two stops called for using 150kw chargers. My curve on both of those was exactly what I thought it would be. My charge times from adding about 65% SOC were 10 minutes faster than at the 250kw chargers.
I have noticed that my car isn't running all the fans and pumps at the 250kw chargers like it does at the 150kw chargers. Which leads me to think this is a software issue. But I can't find any posts with anyone else experiencing this.
Getting 250kw is great but only getting it for a couple minutes then getting Urban charger speeds the rest of the time just sucks. Is anybody else experiencing this?

Purple line in the picture is roughly what I am seeing

Attachments

• tn7kdb3x0a631.png
    tn7kdb3x0a631.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
Curious if you set the navigation to arrive at the Supercharger, allowing it time to precondition the battery?
I pulled into most chargers with 3% or less so it isn't going to do any pre-conditioning. I always click on the supercharger and the navigate to function button. We are talking 3+ hours of driving, it is ramping up to 250kw just fine so I don't think its a heating issue. I did pull into one 250 charger at 17% battery and I had the same issue there as well but that is also below the pre-conditioning percentage.

Reactions: Enginerd
It is really weird to me that my car doesn't ramp up it fans at the 250kw chargers like it does the 150's. At the 150's the car gets really loud and is clearly trying to cool things down. Is it normal for the car not to run the fans as much at the higher output charger?

I think it should be cooling the battery at 250+ kW. May be submit a request through the Tesla app and ask them to review your logs. If needed, take it in for service and they can check and see if something needs to be adjusted. Also include at about what time you notice the cooling start under normal conditions (e.g. starting out at 10% SOC, you notice the cooling fans running 10 minutes later at a 150 kW Supercharger site).

Odd, what version of software are you on?
On 2021.4.18.2
I think it should be cooling the battery at 250+ kW. May be submit a request through the Tesla app and ask them to review your logs. If needed, take it in for service and they can check and see if something needs to be adjusted. Also include at about what time you notice the cooling start under normal conditions (e.g. starting out at 10% SOC, you notice the cooling fans running 10 minutes later at a 150 kW Supercharger site).
I did submit a service request and was pretty detailed. Been a couple days and they haven’t responded. Gone are the days where you could just call them up and they talk to you I guess. Last time I’ve had any real issues was late 2018

I called today and they said some parts were on order and they will install at the service appointment. I don't know exactly what it is but they said it was some kind of harness. I'll update here when I know for sure. I wonder if its a known manufacture defect on these "older" ones. Interesting it only applies to 250kw charging

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and Enginerd
I pulled into most chargers with 3% or less so it isn't going to do any pre-conditioning. I always click on the supercharger and the navigate to function button. We are talking 3+ hours of driving, it is ramping up to 250kw just fine so I don't think its a heating issue. I did pull into one 250 charger at 17% battery and I had the same issue there as well but that is also below the pre-conditioning percentage.
The car still preconditions the battery even when it doesn't say anything. It sets the passive target temperatures higher so the car will cool down the battery pack less as you drive so that when you arrive at the supercharger the battery is nice and warm.

Presumably, something in the car got hot after a few minutes of charging at 250kw, so the car reduced the charge rate to keep your car from, you know, going up in flames. If Tesla identified a "harness", then it's likely a wiring harness that carries the charging current from the charge port to the battery. Farking amazing that they can diagnose something like that remotely. If I had to guess, I'd guess that it's the charging connector and wiring harness that they're replacing, because we know that the connector has a temperature sensor in it. A bad connection between one of the charging sockets and it's associated wire would generate significant extra heat and cause something like this.

I have a 2018 LR RWD Model 3 - I just went on a road trip and charged at 150kw and at 250kw Superchargers. I didn't have the problem you're having - the 250kw one ramped up to 250kw pretty quickly, and stayed high until some SOC then started tapering down (I went to the restroom) but it certainly was above 45kw when I returned.

I charged from 15% SOC to 75% in about 15 minutes.

The remote diagnostics are pretty amazing, I'll agree. My friend got a message on his screen about some communication cable fault - he made an appointment and they had already ordered the part. Just had to wait for it to come in then they installed it under warranty.

• Helpful
Reactions: golfpilot
I went on my first trip with the car since 250kw chargers have become a thing. My very first stop I was excited to see 250kw but that was short lived, at around 35% SOC the output went from 250 to 45kw. It then slowly climbed back up to around 80kw at 50% and charged between 60-80kw until I was ready to make my next stop. OAT was 75F, so it really wasn't that hot.
Had a, not exact, but similar experience the next two stops of my trip.
On the way home, my first two stops called for using 150kw chargers. My curve on both of those was exactly what I thought it would be. My charge times from adding about 65% SOC were 10 minutes faster than at the 250kw chargers.
I have noticed that my car isn't running all the fans and pumps at the 250kw chargers like it does at the 150kw chargers. Which leads me to think this is a software issue. But I can't find any posts with anyone else experiencing this.
Getting 250kw is great but only getting it for a couple minutes then getting Urban charger speeds the rest of the time just sucks. Is anybody else experiencing this?

Purple line in the picture is roughly what I am seeing
Yeah... that 250KW charging profile is not correct.

If they said they ordered a harness for you, then yes, they are talking about the charging harness.

Picked up my car yesterday from the service center. He said that, when supercharging, the car was giving off a low coolant error. Coolant wasn't low enough to give me an error message in the car though. I guess it sat in between the fill line and the in car warning area. They filled it up and did a pressure check over night and there were no leaks. Not sure exactly where the coolant went but I was happy to know they pressure checked it. They also covered a bunch of recall things and, this time, they left the dual motor badge in the cupholder instead of just postponing it's installation again. Now it lives in the glovebox. They charged me a diagnostic fee but no other labor. I kinda think a low coolant error at no fault of mine should be a battery warranty item but they went the extra mile pressure checking everything, and topping it off as well as doing a bunch of extra little things, I didn't argue paying the ~$210. They didn't find any resistance issues with the charging harness or even the fan.

No way of really knowing if my issue is solved until I plug in to a supercharger at a low SOC. But the solution here aligns with the issue. They actually mentioned that in the Correction note "have owner monitor" and they said to let them know via message next time I charge.

They gave me a Charger RT with a Hemi to drive while they had the car. I was very happy to get my car back.

The Stockton Service center is new and It felt closer to the experience I used to have with the Dublin SC. They did a really good job and was totally painless.

Last edited:
On 2021.4.18.2

I did submit a service request and was pretty detailed. Been a couple days and they haven’t responded. Gone are the days where you could just call them up and they talk to you I guess. Last time I’ve had any real issues was late 2018
You can still call and talk to them if you try hard enough. You just have navigate the phone tree deliberately.