Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 vs 2019 M3 AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I am currently looking to get a used Tesla but I am curious to know about the difference of years for the AWD models.

I know that the 2019 April M3s have HW3 but can a 2018 M3 be upgraded to HW3?

What would be the downside of getting the 2018 version.

Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I am currently looking to get a used Tesla but I am curious to know about the difference of years for the AWD models.

Thank you!
I would suggest taking the time to do some reading on this forum.

Hi everyone,

Thank you!

Yes, do some searching but, bottom line: not ALL April 2019 Model 3s have HW3. Lots do. Not all. If you/previous owner bought FSD you'll eventually get the upgrade to HW3 from Tesla.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Yes, do some searching but, bottom line: not ALL April 2019 Model 3s have HW3. Lots do. Not all. If you/previous owner bought FSD you'll eventually get the upgrade to HW3 from Tesla.

Right - my April 2019 does not have the HW3 computer ... yet. I've ordered the Full Self Driving package, so at some point fairly soon, Tesla will be replacing my computer with the HW3 one.

Same is true for 2018 models - if you purchase the Full Self Driving package ($7,000 currently) - they will upgrade your computer too, to the same HW3. Not right away; it's a fairly slow rollout... but will happen.

Reading this thread makes me wonder if you buy a used pre-FSD increase/EAP end of sale 3 with EAP will your FSD upgrade cost be grandfathered at the lower price (for EAP owners).

Computer upgrade aside I'd definitely sort out upgrade costs before buying, both by asking the owner to check their account and then also getting a response from Tesla in writing.

Reactions: daviddfann
Aside from HW3 and FSD issues, are there any other differences between 2018 & 2019 Model 3 AWDs he should consider?

some time in 2019 Tesla stopped including certain items with a car such as car hooks, mats and 14-50 charger adapter.

if you are to buy used Tesla from Tesla, they often remove FSD. So if we it had before and you buy it, you will likely have to buy FSD again if car had HW 2.5 to upgrade to HW3.0. From a private party all should stay as it during sale. Good luck and enjoy

• Informative
Reactions: daviddfann
It’s possible the rear drive unit on the 2019 is a 990 instead of a 980. This only matters as far as I known if Tesla ever offers a software unlock to full P-. I’d say today it’s doubtful they’d do that since they came out with the 20% performance boost option for all AWD. So theoretically the 2018 is guaranteed to have a 980 that could be fully unlocked while the 2019 may or may not.

• Informative
Reactions: zhu- and daviddfann
Hi everyone,

Thank you!

Telsa does not do model year changes so much of the answer will be more minor updates and in some minor cases downgrades between a 2018 and 2019. Part of the answer would also depend on what month the car was built in both years.

Removal of Homelink, removal of the phone cables, removal of frunk mat, removal of the 14-50 connector, removal of a hook in the frunk are the downgrades that have happened as Telsa has tried to cut costs. Most of these are not significant and did not occur all at once but overtime..

The positive upgrades have been incremental improvements to the overall build quality, insulation from road noise and similar things that are hard to compare head to head but in my opinion Telsa has gotten better at these details as they have made more cars.
Rear seats were improved at some point but I think only the 2017 or very early 2018 would have the old seats if any 18's do at all.
Resale will also be affected, no matter if Telsa does model years the used market value will still matter what year the car states, a 2019 will always retain more value than an other identical spec 2018.

In terms of speculation: there may be a different rear motor in the 2018 version which may be more capable than the one in the 2019. Or maybe they are just numbered/named differently but have the same capabilities. This is just speculation and even if one is in fact more capable it may never mean anything.

In terms of hardware/computer system. If you buy FSD or a used car with FSD then you will get your hardware upgraded at some point so is not really a concern. Not really clear how quickly that will happen though and if you don't buy FSD then that is a fairly big difference to consider.
If I had a 2018 I would want FSD for this reason, but as a later 2019 model FSD does not offer much presently for the high cost.

Lastly, if buying from a private seller a 2018 or early 2019 AP but not FSD could mean EAP ; "enhanced auto pilot"
This is a superior product to the regular AP which is included in the new cars. It could also make the upgrade to FSD lower cost.
On the other side of the coin, a 2018 or early 2019 AWD may not even have any Auto Pilot at all, where the later 2019 would all have it.
To me EAP is worth a couple thousand more than regular AP ; and lack of AP is worth a couple thousand less than one with regular AP.

Be aware if you buy a used car directly from Telsa, they will remove any EAP and downgrade it to regular AP ; likewise if the car did not have AP before, they will update it to the regular AP. So all used AWD cars from Telsa will have regular AP. Some will also have FSD. EAP no longer is offered and has not been for 8 months or so.

Last edited:
HW3 and yes my backup cam is jumpy.
Overall though the image is so clear, large and accurate that I like it even with a jumpy frame rate more than any other car backup camera I have owned/used.

Interesting. I like it less than any backup camera I’ve ever used. Nearly had me crash into a parked car when it paused/jumped, and it’s so wide angle it’s hard to tell how close you are to things. The one thing it does have going for it is that it’s big, but that’s just the screen rather than the camera itself.

Interesting. I like it less than any backup camera I’ve ever used. Nearly had me crash into a parked car when it paused/jumped, and it’s so wide angle it’s hard to tell how close you are to things. The one thing it does have going for it is that it’s big, but that’s just the screen rather than the camera itself.

The older I get the larger screen I need to see properly I guess.
My phone, computer monitor, TV, etc... are all oversized so now need the same in the car.

In terms of accuracy I meant the backup trajectory lines, I find those quite useful and very accurate.

Also, maybe since I am used to ultra wide angle photography the aspect of the camera works for me better than others.

The older I get the larger screen I need to see properly I guess.
My phone, computer monitor, TV, etc... are all oversized so now need the same in the car.

In terms of accuracy I meant the backup trajectory lines, I find those quite useful and very accurate.

Also, maybe since I am used to ultra wide angle photography the aspect of the camera works for me better than others.

Sure, the lines are good. I agree there. Just wish it wasn’t so janky the rest of it.

I will concede that I do get the odd out-of-order frame on the reversing camera, but it seems to be a fairly consistent 30 FPS for me which is more than sufficient to purpose. As for ranging concerns, that is largely a matter of just getting used to it, but you could possibly train yourself with a few metersticks laid out on the ground behind the car to help you get a feel for the fisheye refraction.

Yes it is. You just maybe aren’t sensitive to it. They all do.
Unless you have personally checked every Model 3 with HW3 there is no way you can support that conclusion. And what you read on TMC is not a random sample of all Model 3 cars with HW3. It’s a self-selected sample that is highly biased towards the cars with issues. So while there are certainly a number of cars with the issue, you have no way of determining what fraction of all cars have the issue.

Reactions: DopeGhoti