Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.12 - Updated browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The AP version doesn't affect how well or poorly the browser works. If your car is older than circa March 2018, you have MCU1. You will not get the Chromium updated browser.The browser upgrade is only for cars with MCU2. Sorry.

That sucks. The browser on MCU1 is broken beyond all repair, and has been for MONTHS:
  • Usually just shows a black screen.
  • When it works, after you scroll down a bit, you get a black screen.
  • When you hit the back button, you get a black screen.
  • SSL doesn't work correctly on many websites if you can even get it to render anything.
I haven't been able to access the owner's manual since the late December "upgrade".

If Tesla doesn't release the updated Chromium browser for MCU1, this is formal notice that I intend to hack my car and replace the browser myself. Enough is enough.

Reactions: viper2ko
That sucks. The browser on MCU1 is broken beyond all repair, and has been for MONTHS:
  • Usually just shows a black screen.
  • When it works, after you scroll down a bit, you get a black screen.
  • When you hit the back button, you get a black screen.
  • SSL doesn't work correctly on many websites if you can even get it to render anything.
I haven't been able to access the owner's manual since the late December "upgrade".

If Tesla doesn't release the updated Chromium browser for MCU1, this is formal notice that I intend to hack my car and replace the browser myself. Enough is enough.
The web browser on MCU1 is pretty much a joke but mine did run Tesla Waze and a couple other Tesla specific websites made for the car functionally before I sold it and upgraded. If resetting your car with the steering wheel controls doesn't give you better results, you could do a full factory reset. The downside is I'm pretty sure you will lose your settings and other data (trips, etc)

Browser is faster on MC2 because you have more horsepower and after the latest update it's borderline useful... unfortunately that update broke Tesla Waze which is all I used the browser for... and I used it 100% of the time

• Informative
Reactions: LoL Rick
Finally got the 2019.12.1 upgrade, but no change to the browser. It's still broken and unusable since 8.x. With 2018.50.6, I could at least get it to work on Teslawaze sometimes by rebooting, but since then, it pretty much hangs on every screen, even the simplest, and while on wifi. This is on MCU1, AP2.5. Tesla supports keeps telling customers that 12.1 has a new browser, but the customers have to tell them that it is only on MCU2. It's embarrassing when customers know more about the software releases than the support folks...

*sigh* Tesla gives with one hand and takes away with the other....

Reactions: viper2ko
Weird. Mine isn't working. Just get a white screen and another interesting thing is the zoom controls and the settings button are almost cut off. They still work when I press them but the settings menu comes up white/blank also. I've rebooted several times...
I've also tried going straight to teslawaze.azurewebsites.net without my settings stored in my normally bookmarked URL.. same behavior.
View attachment 398747
I'm getting this same issue now. Waze starting working again without reboots and was great... until I installed 2019.12. Now I get the white screen with symbols cut off at the bottom. Bummed...

• Helpful
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Finally got the 2019.12.1.1 upgrade, but no change to the browser. It's still broken and unusable since 8.x. With 2018.50.6, I could at least get it to work on Teslawaze sometimes by rebooting, but since then, it pretty much hangs on every screen, even the simplest, and while on wifi. This is on MCU1, AP2.5.

So I remember reading about the sketchpad workaround for the browser problem and decided to try it. It actually works and works well! It's like night and day. In normal mode, the browser now hangs on everything. While using it in sketchpad mode, it actually works like a regular browser, albeit slow, but it doesn't hang. Teslawaze loads well and runs actively in this mode. Once you exit the sketchpad though, it stops updating. So this is a useable workaround when you absolutely need the browser and don't need the map on the screen.

For those not familiar with the sketchpad mode, just bring up the sketchpad on the screen, followed by the browser. Once the browser is overlayed on the sketchpad, you can use it normally.

• Informative
Reactions: Hood7
So I remember reading about the sketchpad workaround for the browser problem and decided to try it. It actually works and works well! It's like night and day. In normal mode, the browser now hangs on everything. While using it in sketchpad mode, it actually works like a regular browser, albeit slow, but it doesn't hang. Teslawaze loads well and runs actively in this mode. Once you exit the sketchpad though, it stops updating. So this is a useable workaround when you absolutely need the browser and don't need the map on the screen.

For those not familiar with the sketchpad mode, just bring up the sketchpad on the screen, followed by the browser. Once the browser is overlayed on the sketchpad, you can use it normally.
yeah I find it unbelievable that covering the map with the sketchpad has this big positive effect on the browser performance in v9, even though the car is parked and the map isn't being actively updated at all. With the map obscured by sketchpad, at least the browser doesn't seem to hang while loading almost any page, as it was doing since v9 (though it's still slow as mud). With 2018.50.6 the browser would completely lock up and need a reboot every couple days - will keep an eye out if that particular issue has been fixed with this latest update.

The annoying thing about the workaround is still the sketchpad seems to go away on it's own after parking the car a while (though strangely, not every time), so you have to then bring it back up to hide the map again. Was doing the same on pre-2019.x release for me, so no change there. 2015 70D/MCU1 currently on 2019.12.1.1