Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New attention to detail for version 2019.16.1

2019.16.1 Shows raindrops on the car when it's raining

gephlhkotty21.jpg

That's pretty awesome!

Posted on reddit from another user: 2019.16.1 Shows raindrops on the car when it's raining : teslamotors

Reactions: willow_hiller
Something I just noticed about the 2019.16.x update: it changes the file format used for TeslaCam videos (dash cam and Sentry Mode) to the newer, more efficient HEVC/H.265 codec/format.

That means your computer (or whatever you're using to play back the video files) needs to support this new video format. Recent Macs should handle it just fine, and Windows 10 should be able to play them after installing this HEVC extension from the Windows Store.

Both of the apps I've tried (Sentry Keeper and TeslaCamViewer) fail to play videos recorded on 2019.16, and I suspect the app developers will have to update them before they work.

The web app created by @jdeskins, TeslaCam Video Player, works only if your browser supports HEVC video (which right now means Safari on a recent version of MacOS and Edge on Windows 10 with the HEVC extension installed). Note that as far as I can tell, Chrome does NOT support HEVC, and I didn't find an easy way to make it happen. If you use the web app, just use Safari or Edge as a workaround (I've replied to the developer to let him know, but I don't know if there's much that can be done in browsers that don't support HEVC).

Just something to be aware of as 2019.16.x starts rolling out. If you're one of the lucky few that got it already, and you're having trouble viewing your TeslaCam videos, this is probably why.

Something I just noticed about the 2019.16.x update: it changes the file format used for TeslaCam videos (dash cam and Sentry Mode) to the newer, more efficient HEVC/H.265 codec/format.

That means your computer (or whatever you're using to play back the video files) needs to support this new video format. Recent Macs should handle it just fine, and Windows 10 should be able to play them after installing this HEVC extension from the Windows Store.

Both of the apps I've tried (Sentry Keeper and TeslaCamViewer) fail to play videos recorded on 2019.16, and I suspect the app developers will have to update them before they work.

The web app created by @jdeskins, TeslaCam Video Player, works only if your browser supports HEVC video (which right now means Safari on a recent version of MacOS and Edge on Windows 10 with the HEVC extension installed). Note that as far as I can tell, Chrome does NOT support HEVC, and I didn't find an easy way to make it happen. If you use the web app, just use Safari or Edge as a workaround (I've replied to the developer to let him know, but I don't know if there's much that can be done in browsers that don't support HEVC).

Just something to be aware of as 2019.16.x starts rolling out. If you're one of the lucky few that got it already, and you're having trouble viewing your TeslaCam videos, this is probably why.

@Josh Bancroft,

Great detective work. Thanks for this.

Ski

Reactions: Josh Bancroft
Still not getting the Update, ver 2019.12.1.2 isn’t being applied right, for example the Software area is there but doesn’t show the advance button. I have an appointment with the SC to see what’s up with these downloads.

Can someone post a picture of the Software screen with the Advance switch on it. Thanks

Fred

Still not getting the Update, ver 2019.12.1.2 isn’t being applied right, for example the Software area is there but doesn’t show the advance button. I have an appointment with the SC to see what’s up with these downloads.

Can someone post a picture of the Software screen with the Advance switch on it. Thanks

Fred
That button only exists on 2019.16.x which isn’t widely rolling out. The 2019.12.x software update tab doesn’t provide you with any preferences. It just tells you when there’s one pending so you know when to get on Wi-Fi to do the download.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
That button only exists on 2019.16.x which isn’t widely rolling out. The 2019.12.x software update tab doesn’t provide you with any preferences. It just tells you when there’s one pending so you know when to get on Wi-Fi to do the download.
that's what I was thinking..
I have it set on automatic update.
Now I keep checking if I got 16.2.
It is WORSE THAN BEFORE!!!!

Edit: OK. I got sanity back 100%.
So I guess I will get a notification that the update has been installed. So I can stop checking now. whew.

that's what I was thinking..
I have it set on automatic update.
Now I keep checking if I got 16.2.
It is WORSE THAN BEFORE!!!!

Edit: OK. I got sanity back 100%.
So I guess I will get a notification that the update has been installed. So I can stop checking now. whew.
On the bright side for those of us who don’t have WiFi while parking, this updates tab is way better than tethering the car and monitoring cellular data usage for a half hour!