Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019/20 Orders and Deliveries [closed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of excited customers, all wanting to know when they can join this new Tesla Revolution. In my view Tesla have really got this EV thing sewn up, although a lot of EV’s coming out this year, Tesla are way in front. Polestar might be close but too expensive at the moment.

The trump card for Tesla is the supercharger network, without that i wouldn't even consider an EV as i go to Europe a couple of times a year

I'm (hopefully) getting an M3 for when the April BIK kicks in so was wondering if its worth me putting down the £750 deposit now to get the ball rolling or wait for it to all get sorted in work?

A few things to things to consider...... typical 3 months+ lead time, the possible withdrawal of the government grant and the likely increase in interest closer to April. Sorry, can’t think of any reason to delay... to present a balanced argument ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: beansnchips
A few things to things to consider...... typical 3 months+ lead time, the possible withdrawal of the government grant and the likely increase in interest closer to April. Sorry, can’t think of any reason to delay... to present a balanced argument ;)

Even if you buy before the BIK kicks in, does the BIK reduce automatically in April (ie people who have the car now will pay zero BIK in their April pay?)

Even if you buy before the BIK kicks in, does the BIK reduce automatically in April (ie people who have the car now will pay zero BIK in their April pay?)

As above, yes. I'm hoping (in a dream world) to pickup early March for a 20 plate and pay one month's BIK at the current rate before it drops to zero in April.

However your question makes me want to check if you understand how BIK works. You'll pay tax on the list price (that's important) for the life of your ownership. At the moment that's supposed to be 0% next year, then 1% and 2% in the following 2 years. Thereafter it could be anything, and equally they could change/increase that rate at any point.

The list price is important; you're taxed on the full list price (before the grant), not purchase price, and this doesn't depreciate over time.

As above, yes. I'm hoping (in a dream world) to pickup early March for a 20 plate and pay one month's BIK at the current rate before it drops to zero in April.

However your question makes me want to check if you understand how BIK works. You'll pay tax on the list price (that's important) for the life of your ownership. At the moment that's supposed to be 0% next year, then 1% and 2% in the following 2 years. Thereafter it could be anything, and equally they could change/increase that rate at any point.

The list price is important; you're taxed on the full list price (before the grant), not purchase price, and this doesn't depreciate over time.
This all depends also on how long you (initially) intend to keep it. I’ve just ordered as I am due a new company car and will keep this for 3 years before changing again. But who knows what will happen after the third year at 2%. Other than that it’s full tax breaks.

This all depends also on how long you (initially) intend to keep it. I’ve just ordered as I am due a new company car and will keep this for 3 years before changing again. But who knows what will happen after the third year at 2%. Other than that it’s full tax breaks.

You make a good point about it changing at any time. Good money spinner for the Government to hike it but would be against environmental policy. But I don’t think they did that with the PHEV and they were a car tax fiddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.