Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019/20 Orders and Deliveries [closed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to try and collect mine on Thursday. I have been very responsible on social distancing and not going out and will continue to be so under the harsher measures.

Its the first time i've ever broken the speed limit officer, i promise.

If its not essential and you are not a key worker, you are putting lives at risk whether you stayed at home for the last 12 months or not. Please get a grip - Think of the doctors putting their lives at risk for you or your wider family. Again, sorry to be harsh, but its a f@£ing car!!!

Only GO if the car is essential and you can get a lift from someone in the SAME house. Its when you get to Tesla and get the new car you are going to have to take precautions. Before you go in make sure you assess the setup and that you can maintain the safe social distancing rules.

1. Masks are totally pointless and I really wish people would stop recommending them.
2. Take something with you to wash down the hard surfaces (disinfectant is a must)
3. Wear gloves if you can (this is probably one of the most important rules) as this is a contact virus
4. Stay away from other people and maintain the 2m rule.
5. When driving make a conscious rule NOT to touch your face.
6. Drive straight home and do not re-enter the car for at least 4 days.

Following these rules means your putting yourself at the exact same risk as taking a delivery or opening a letter.

This virus is not "airborne" in the sense that it is not just in the air, you need to come in contact with it either via touch OR if someone close to you coughs and the droplets travel through the air but you would need to be close to them for that to happen, hence the reason for 2m rules.

If you canno't get a lift from someone in the same house and would need to take public transport then I would probably recommend against collection and the risk is much greater as you canno't really be sure you can maintain proper social distancing rules on a train, tube or bus.

So I thought I'd give them a call after last night's text (to which I responded 'no').

They told me that my collection tomorrow was still going ahead, 10am at Heathrow.

I'm simply astounded at this point - I called to arrange for the reschedule, but they were definitely not wanting to go down that path. I'd be curious if anyone else has had the same response.

Probably fair to say I had similar from the Dutch chap, definitely still keen for me to collect right at the start of the conversation.

Was when I said that to do so would be directly contravening the government instructions, and I couldn’t realistically make it time wise anyway by then today that conversation changed to messaging manager who would then get back.

Bit disappointing to be honest, lives aren’t more important than end of quarter figures.

Just had contact with a lovely lady in Leeds. As an essential work she detailed the process, and explained I still would be allowed to collect on Thursday as it stands. I must bring my own pen to sign and call them when I arrive from outside. if I need a walkthrough of anything this will be done over the phone at a later date.

I offered to collect earlier to allow them more time to plan/prepare for essential workers, but my car isn’t due to arrive until tomorrow. Will keep you all posted.

• Informative
Reactions: TheManofMead
I do not think it's wise for anyone to collect, I've not been to Bristol but I think its in a shopping centre or something? and the cars are in effectively a supermarket carpark. I don't know how Tesla will operate a totally 0 touch delivery. Probably easier at the customer end point. I guess delivery drivers are still out there earning a living, and until restrictions are brought into place for them then I guess its possible. Maybe a mass low/high loader doing the rounds for customers. Sensible thing would be for Tesla to say, we will hold your vehicle in a secure location until its safe to collect.
Bristol is somewhat unique in so much as the cars are all outside, and the handover was (previously) done in the store in the mall. Obviously there would be no handover in the store now, so there would - I presume - be a handover outside, at 2 metres distance.

I would be getting a lift from a family member, who I live with, getting out of the car, meeting the Tesla rep, getting in the car and driving back to the house. In terms of interaction with other people it would be less than going to the supermarket. I would only be interacting with the Tesla rep, at distance.

That only leaves the virus on any surface in the car. Well, I'm not going to be driving it anywhere for the forseeable, so again - negligible risk.

If I was collecting from an indoor location, having to get there via public transport, etc then obviously that would be inappropriate (unless I was an essential worker).

Reactions: AnthonyLR
Bristol is somewhat unique in so much as the cars are all outside, and the handover was (previously) done in the store in the mall. Obviously there would be no handover in the store now, so there would - I presume - be a handover outside, at 2 metres distance.

I would be getting a lift from a family member, who I live with, getting out of the car, meeting the Tesla rep, getting in the car and driving back to the house. In terms of interaction with other people it would be less than going to the supermarket. I would only be interacting with the Tesla rep, at distance.

That only leaves the virus on any surface in the car. Well, I'm not going to be driving it anywhere for the forseeable, so again - negligible risk.

If I was collecting from an indoor location, having to get there via public transport, etc then obviously that would be inappropriate (unless I was an essential worker).
Have Bristol been in contact? Not sure what the police stance will be if pulled over on route/return?

Just spoken to Tesla who, after me confirming that I had replied no to the text and wanted to understand the next steps, told me collection at Heathrow on thurs was still planned in and that I could happily come collect the car. The woman I spoke to was foreign but I couldn't twig the accent however, the biggest thing that struck me about her was how exasperated she sounded. It was like she'd already had enough. I thought, it's only 10am!

We then spoke about delivery and she said that someone would be giving me a call. I will be calling them back this afternoon to confirm as she didn't fill me with confidence that it would all be sorted.

just to put things into perceptive, are you aware that all building sites are allowed to still be operating today !!
The thinking behind this (nothing official) is that most contractors are self employed, and as there have been no provisions put in place for them, they are allowing them to work. This means hundreds of people everyday in the canteen together, or on buses or sharing vans etc. We supply goods to building sites and as such have been asked if we are still going to deliver and install, this means 5 men in a van for a 4 hr drive to site and back again, how on earth are we meant to social distance from each other when the rules don't apply to everyone.
As usual the messages from government are very mixed and can be interpreted either way.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: LK06 and Harv3y
Just spoken to Tesla who, after me confirming that I had replied no to the text and wanted to understand the next steps, told me collection at Heathrow on thurs was still planned in and that I could happily come collect the car. The woman I spoke to was foreign but I couldn't twig the accent however, the biggest thing that struck me about her was how exasperated she sounded. It was like she'd already had enough. I thought, it's only 10am!

We then spoke about delivery and she said that someone would be giving me a call. I will be calling them back this afternoon to confirm as she didn't fill me with confidence that it would all be sorted.

To be fair, she probably has had enough of it all.

Reactions: stonecoldrmw
I must admit, from a group of people who clearly have a reasonable income and thus i would have assumed a reasonable intelligence, some of the proposed behaviour is uncomprehendible.

Reactions: LK06 and CSTM3
I must admit, from a group of people who clearly have a reasonable income and thus i would have assumed a reasonable intelligence, some of the proposed behaviour is uncomprehendible.
Can you explain to me how getting out of one car and getting into another, interacting with no one at close range, is somehow incredibly dangerous or selfish? Who am I going to get the virus from? If I did get the virus - guess what, I'm already self-isolating and WFH.

Reactions: AnthonyLR
Personally I hope to come out the other side of all this with a clear conscience. Bar very limited circumstances for a very limited number of people how does the average person travelling to pick up a new car fit with the instructions below? It doesn’t really matter what’s happening on building sites or suchlike, for me and the majority it should be pretty black and white and much as I’d have liked to collect today or any other day right now, it is not justifiable. No matter how convolutedly one tries in one’s mind to make it justifiable, it isn’t.

You should only leave the house for one of four reasons:

• Shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.
  • One form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.
  • Any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
  • Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.