Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 & 2020 Model X range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TMC Brain Trust-

I'm looking to purchase** a 2019, 2020, or 2021 Model X. I am thoroughly confused about the Tesla advertised range for these Xs and their variants after using the Googles on the interwebs. It seems like each website I visit has a different answer to what is seemingly an "easy" question. For example, one website I saw shows the 2020 Model X long range as over 300 miles (the non "plus" version), but I looked at a 2020 Model X long range on Autotrader and it showed a range of around ~240 miles with an almost fully charged battery (see pic below). Yes, I realize that range from driver to driver can vary greatly, but that little section of battery left to be charged wouldn't correspond to over 70+ miles of range I don't believe.

Could someone educate me as to what the advertised range is for the 2019/2020/2021 Model Xs are and whatever variants there are? Thanks!

**BTW If you have a 2019-2021 Model X, white on white you want to sell, send me a message!

1691696045664.png

displayed miles divided by percentage = full "dashboard" range, +- a few miles

So see if you can get the salesjerk to flip it back and forth and take a picture for you of what the dashboard range is at a given percentage, then do the math.

So let's say that's 238 at 80% (looks like 80 to me, could be wrong) that's 297 miles at 100%, which seems about right if it's experienced your typical 5-10% degradation. The dash will no longer show the rated range it had from the factory, it is continuously compensating for capacity loss and recalculating. My car started at 371 and is now at circa 347 at almost 40,000 miles.

The advertised range was obviously always bunk, but I believe, it was always either 328, 351, or 371 for Long Range, Long Range Plus, and Long Range Plus+ (very late 2020 builds) respectively. They didn't start reducing "rated" max EPA range for extra weight from 7 seaters, or 22's, until later on I don't think

Mine is for sale soon but it's White on black womp womp

Last edited:
Reactions: TsKarma
displayed miles divided by percentage = full "dashboard" range, +- a few miles

So see if you can get the salesjerk to flip it back and forth and take a picture for you of what the dashboard range is at a given percentage, then do the math.

So let's say that's 238 at 80% (looks like 80 to me, could be wrong) that's 297 miles at 100%, which seems about right if it's experienced your typical 5-10% degradation. The dash will no longer show the rated range it had from the factory, it is continuously compensating for capacity loss and recalculating. My car started at 371 and is now at circa 347 at almost 40,000 miles.

The advertised range was obviously always bunk, but I believe, it was always either 328, 351, or 371 for Long Range, Long Range Plus, and Long Range Plus+ (very late 2020 builds) respectively. They didn't start reducing "rated" max EPA range for extra weight from 7 seaters, or 22's, until later on I don't think

Mine is for sale soon but it's White on black womp womp
Thanks Richbot!

Also, for what it's worth, 240 miles attempting to average 80mph is pretty doable on my Long Range Plus+, that's starting at 100% and arriving at the charger at circa 5% left. Just did a long road trip last week. I figure you'd have to plan to subtract some for the earlier cars.

Going 45mph, it'd probably do 400

Reactions: ualdriver
Also, for what it's worth, 240 miles attempting to average 80mph is pretty doable on my Long Range Plus+, that's starting at 100% and arriving at the charger at circa 5% left. Just did a long road trip last week. I figure you'd have to plan to subtract some for the earlier cars.

Going 45mph, it'd probably do 400
What are the charging speeds like at Supercharger? I assume you have prerefresh X. Are at 250kw or still max 200kw?

About 35 minutes to add 60%, depending where you start. 15 minutes to add 30%, give or take. Slower charging compared to a Model 3, but 30% is about 100 miles city/75 miles highway. Probably pretty close on range per time spent at the charger to a SR+

Last edited:
Reactions: SoManyM3s
Also, because of all the glass and the size of the damn thing, it really helps to have AC off and go shop or whatever if it's hot out. Like, expect it to take 10-15 minutes longer from 10 to 70% if you're trying to supercharge at 95 degrees out in the sun while watching netflix

Reactions: SoManyM3s
To give another perspective, my 2020 LR+ with 20” wheels has lifetime average of 330wh per mile. It has 100kmh battery pack but I think our usable battery size is somewhere around 95kwh or so(+ degradation). This should give you average range of 287mi.

In extreme cases driving in crosswind at 80mph will shoot up wh/mi to above 400 and reducing speed below 60mph will get wh/mi below 300.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
To give another perspective, my 2020 LR+ with 20” wheels has lifetime average of 330wh per mile. It has 100kmh battery pack but I think our usable battery size is somewhere around 95kwh or so(+ degradation). This should give you average range of 287mi.

In extreme cases driving in crosswind at 80mph will shoot up wh/mi to above 400 and reducing speed below 60mph will get wh/mi below 300.
Great information, Ty

The energy wheel in that photo is displaying some pretty unusual stats. 659Wh/mi? Was the car driven straight up a steep mountain and then stopped at the top to take this screen shot? My avg (which includes sometimes towing my boat) is 306Wh/mi (over the last 15K miles). Ok, yes I drive like an old man to test how little energy I can use most of the time, but I get on it from time to time when a youngster thinks his ICE car is fast. He learns quickly how clean I maintain my rear license plate. 659 is crazy high.