Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.40.2.1 no stop sign of stop light recognition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 M3 long distance dual motor. I downloaded the newest software and finally tested out the stop sign recognition on autopilot at 30mph. Nope it ain't there. I got thru the sign with nothing. I have read other folks have it but I wonder. My test was on flat terrain where I could see at least a quarter mile either way. The sign was oriented straight, was not bent or discolored. The bottom of the sign was about six feet above ground. I have tried the stop light once but it did not work either.
Is anyone else having this problem or do you have a trick I have not tried?

• Informative
Reactions: tren01t
It has always been hit or miss with me, including the current version. DirtyTesla (YouTube) hypothesizes that the stop sign detection is map based rather than visual, which seems a bit like a deviation from Tesla's design principles, but he generally seems well informed. If this is true, I have a feeling the maps may have quite a few holes...

It has always been hit or miss with me, including the current version. DirtyTesla (YouTube) hypothesizes that the stop sign detection is map based rather than visual, which seems a bit like a deviation from Tesla's design principles, but he generally seems well informed.

Eh, that's exactly how they've always done speed limits on AP2+ too so not that surprising.

(also not that accurate sadly, and obviously they'll need to have vision working for both before city FSD is really a thing)

I have a 2019 M3 long distance dual motor. I downloaded the newest software and finally tested out the stop sign recognition on autopilot at 30mph. Nope it ain't there. I got thru the sign with nothing. I have read other folks have it but I wonder. My test was on flat terrain where I could see at least a quarter mile either way. The sign was oriented straight, was not bent or discolored. The bottom of the sign was about six feet above ground. I have tried the stop light once but it did not work either.
Is anyone else having this problem or do you have a trick I have not tried?

To properly test this, you need to have your spouse stand in the middle of the road waving a stop sign while you charge toward it at 100 MPH :eek:
Like detection of the red traffic light, it is still very much works or doesn't work as others imply.

To properly test this, you need to have your spouse stand in the middle of the road waving a stop sign while you charge toward it at 100 MPH :eek:
Like detection of the red traffic light, it is still very much works or doesn't work as others imply.
Since the update to 40.2.1 my TESLA doesn’t see signs, lights, or traffic cones. The only change I perceive is the car is drifting in the lane perceptably

Sorry for somehow sending last message. The steering well is now constantly moving like it is searching for something.
Also, the “new” automatic slowing when approaching a slower moving traffic in the next lane is not new, is annoying and is dangerous as the set speed changes from say 65 to 35 in the middle of the interstate. As they said on Hill Street Blues, “Be careful out there “.

Eh, that's exactly how they've always done speed limits on AP2+ too so not that surprising.

(also not that accurate sadly, and obviously they'll need to have vision working for both before city FSD is really a thing)

I’d like to see a better reporting system, some way to submit updates to the maps. I’m not at all convinced that submitting a bug report does anything other than give you an opportunity to shout at your car.

I’d like to see a better reporting system, some way to submit updates to the maps. I’m not at all convinced that submitting a bug report does anything other than give you an opportunity to shout at your car.

Bug reports do nothing but add a pointer to a spot in the cars log files in case the service center needs to investigate a problem you make a service appointment for.

Otherwise nobody ever sees or hears them.

At least according to a bunch of folks AT the service centers who various owners have asked about this.

(also basic math would suggest with a fleet approaching 1 million cars- nobody's listening to them normally because that'd require insane amounts of workers doing nothing else)

Reactions: Puddles